Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
2.5

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 11 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Beware "The Walmart of Healthcare "

Former Employee - Manager/Director in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Manager/Director in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

a job for someone who has none.

Cons

Unfortunately I endured working for this tUncaring , money oriented " Company . They do not value their employees , it is a huge revolving door driven by corporate politics .The motto should be "do more with less " Reported Unsafe conditions hey chose to sweep everything under the rug.
    Basically a large kitty litter box that corporate and administrator keeps covering up the daily poop rather than doing anything to improve or fix the issues
    No opportunity for paid educational opportunities
    Inadequate staffing
    Inadequate budgets ( non existent )
    Benefits are the worse - pay more and get less every year.
     " Bottom Feeders" who do not care about the employers. Or unfortunately the paying patients !

Value your talented staff and actually read and understand and live your bogus promised
    Compensate staff appropriately
    Provide adequate benefits
    Employees keep paying more get less benefits and genesis pockets it all
    Too worried about acquisitions , stock and being the biggest .
    Never learned from their past bankruptcies
    Greedy
    Reported grievances never heard.
    They use snd abuse their employees

disappointed

Former Employee - COTA
    Former Employee - COTA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

the team members are knowledgeable

Cons

management too busy running reports rather than helping to market

invest in your employees

housekeeping

Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Agawam, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Team Member in Agawam, MA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

nice place, clean and friendly

Cons

no advancement nor training

n/a

Horrible

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

The salary is competitive. That is the best thing I can say about this job. The various options for work hours such as a weekend only program was very appealing also.

Cons

Overwhelming responsibility. Under this company people who have worked at the location I was at for over 15, 20, & 30 years quit. That should say enough in itself.

Genuinely take the time to care about your employees

Stay Away

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

None! Awful place to work. The managers are terrible, they never do any of their own work, instead spend their days micromanaging others. They also love to pass the blame when they overlook something.

Cons

Awful patient care. I am not a nurse or CNA but have seen patients ask to go to the bathroom and are not taken, when they say they have had an accident, they are left to sit in wet or soiled clothes for hours before being changed. Pay is bad. Facilities are dirty. Patients and medicare are being charged for services they are not receiving.

Cut out the middle management. They do nothing beneficial for your company except interfere with the work that your hard working employees are actually doing.

In the past 6 months I've hated to work for my current Admin & Assist Admin than I have in previous years.

Current Employee - RECIEPTIONIST in Glen Mills, PA
    Current Employee - RECIEPTIONIST in Glen Mills, PA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

The hours are great for what I needed...

Cons

Need more people who are team players including supervisors

You need to listen to your employees & put forth the effort into making sure they are happy coming to work

Not to be Believed

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Some of the coworkers were very nice people; the building had plenty of heat in winter time (I know, but I had to get at least 20 words in my post & there was not really anything else good to say about the place.)

Cons

The most horrific, unprofessional management you will ever deal with. There were also a lot of employees with very little education (style or tact for that matter) who had "positions with titles."They sat in their nice little offices while watching college-educated individuals run around without even having time to eat lunch. Working here is akin to being in a Third World factory.

Try taking some management classes or better yet, just admit that you went into "management" with no skills whatsoever. You only decided to become "management" because you were tired of actually working. As all employees know, that makes a very poor manager. Also, you can give someone the title of "manager" but that does NOT make them a leader.

Headed in wrong direction.

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Great staff. President of company is great.

Cons

Area leadership is cliquish and like to bully others. They say it's all about the patients but really it's not. It's all about the dollar. There is no way to advance unless you are in the clique. The choices for upper management are terrible. Area directors and senior area directors are just plain mean and only care about themselves. Never do they offer to come in and help in times of need. They seem to just sit at their homes and delegate who is doing what. Every week, something else is added to the to do list. Expectations are not reasonable.

Investigate area leadership In the south. I think you'd be surprised of what really goes on...what a shame.

Run...

Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Lebanon, NH

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Great co-workers and patient population

Cons

Only care about maintaing 90% pch yet won't give you the formula to calculate your pch. Annual reviews and raises are contingent on your ability to maintain this ridiculous standard. They constantly push for more screenings of unskilled patients to be added to caseload. When you stand up and say that it's not ethical and refuse to screen these patients they make it difficult for you to stay. They decrease your hours to 20hra so you can't get benefits or unemployment. Every patient is over treated and on the omnicycle for a minimum of 15min.

Focus on patients not the dollar

Work in Thearpy department at Powerback Lakewood CO- Terrible Company - They don't care about employees or patients.

Current Employee - PTA in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - PTA in Denver, CO

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I can't say one PRO about this company.. WORST COMPANY. IT IS CLEAR THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY. I HAVE ONLY BEEN THERE FOR 3 MONTHS AND LOOKING FOR DIFFERENT JOB. The only PRO I can think of is helping patients. However They except your productivity to be 87.5% when they have you running around a 110 bed building so you are typing most of the treatment session because I can have up to 18 patients in a 10 hour day. So patient care in bad because I don't feel like I am giving good quality patient care because they are so concerned about your productivity. my average for one month was 85.5% and I got asked how I can cute 10 minutes out of my day to reach 87.5% ...I don't know when I don't even have time to go to the restroom. I guess the only pro is that one weekend a month a get a 4 day weekend because they make you work on Saturday a month.

Cons

- NO work life balance. They prefer 6 months notice for time off. They said at least 60 days notice is required . And any notice for time off between 30-60 days will be considered but highly likely will not be approved.
    -If you find someone to work for you for a day off and not even ask for PTO they won't approve it because PRN help cost more
    -No training. Beneifts are terrible
    - I came from a facility where the therapist worked as a TEAM to help patients and had meetings with staff/family to follow care. NO teamwork here at this facility, therapist are not involved in the planning for patients care after their stay.
    - I feel like a number there not an employee.
    -Therapist assistants have to jump through loop holes to use an modality on a patient. Gensis cleary does not want therapist to use modalities due to possible liabilities . A therapist can't even put an ice pack on a patient unless an evaluating therapist has it as a code in the evaluation and the general area of the body. I had a patient for 3 days that was in pain and even though IFC was a short term goal and a billing code I could not do it because a PT had to do it first therefore I had to keep emailing management to have a PT see the patient so IFC could be started. very degrading to what we went to school for and it show poor patient care. I could go on and on but I am so glad this was not my first job out of school otherwise I would have a terrible taste in my mouth for the Therapy world. there is not one good thing about this company and most of the therapy staff is looking for other jobs.

Learn to treat your employees like people versus prisoners and slaves. It must be bad with PRN staff say they are glad they don't work their full time

Genesis HealthCare Photos