Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.6

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 11 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Employees not valued

Current Employee - Administration in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Administration in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always learning and never bored.

Cons

Terrible Benefits even with many years of service. No appreciation for their employees.

Benefits reduced each year and now no longer providing short term disability.

Management has asked the employees to give to them over the last few years. Talking points always included: "just be glad you have a job" and "these cuts are making us stronger in our industry" Now your employees cannot afford any life and work part time to pay their lousy benefits co-pays.

Run from this money hungry company

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None! They talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

Cons

All! They sold their soul to the devil, if they ever had a soul. Top heavy. Cut hours, cut rate add on more job requirements and expect the high productivity.

Rethink your unfair policies. It is the therapists that make the company. Cut the dead weight at the top. Lots of therapist working their tails off for dead weight at 85%+ productivity which is really unrealistic

Welcome to hell

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Good pay
    You'll develop charactor, as you try to keep your head above water
    You'll become knowledgable and proficient trouble shooting electronics, heating issues, and missing laundry
    You will know what you don't want in your next job, and when it's time to walk away

Cons

Poor staffing all departments
    Very focused on making a profit at the expense of the residents
    High turnover
    No staff appreciation- ever!!!

Treat people as you want the residents treated
    Hire enough staff to care for the residents, clean ( 1 housekeeper for 50 residents is no doable)
    cheese curls should not be a puréed food item.
    You can't pass off the rust surrounding the bathroom fixtures as burgundy paint
    Urine is never a pleasurable odor

Avoid this company!

Current Employee - Nursing Department in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Nursing Department in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Caring staff that tired to do their jobs well, despite the lack of training and support from management.

Cons

The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care. The only time they are around is to tell you your are doing something wrong. There is a very high turn over for nursing supervisors, the good ones are no longer here. Staff are tired and burned out.

Leave your offices and the smoking area and find out what is really going on with your staff.. Stop playing favorites. Attempt to retain the good nursing supervisors. Stop promoting people that are not qualified for the job.

The place is just a mess

Former Employee - Slave in Warren, RI
    Former Employee - Slave in Warren, RI

I worked at Genesis HealthCare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The residents are the best part of the job. Lots of over time

Cons

No appreciation, low pay rate, over worked, no lunch or breaks

Hire more staff, Needs to be more organized, Increase pay rate, Appreciate staff

Numbers matter, not patients.

Current Employee - PA-C in Voorhees, NJ
    Current Employee - PA-C in Voorhees, NJ

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work hours are good, not great good

Cons

no flexibility, pay is horrible!, lies, lies, lies, was told one thing and then after accepting the job all responsibilites changed, work load is insane, expectations revolve around numbers not patient, do not apply if you care about patients

your numbers won't matter if patients are not taking care of

Genesis is all about money and they do not care about staff

Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I do not have any positive experiences with this company.

Cons

They will work you into the ground.

Look at the acuity of the patients and not just the census.

This company will be the death of me....

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I cannot think of one single positive thing to say about Genesis Healthcare or Genesis rehab services. They are pure evil.

Cons

Where to begin? Elimination of all but 2 holidays, and don't even think you're going to get black friday or Christmas eve off...even if you have PTO to use. In fact, Good luck using your PTO EVER, especially around holidays or in the summer. Requests need to be submitted 4 months in advance, without approval until only maybe 30 days in advance, so I hope your tickets are refundable, because your request will probably be denied, not because of lack of coverage for your absence, but because "it's not in the budget this month." I know of several people who have lost PTO time simply because upper management made it impossible to take before it "expired." Just one more tactic Genesis uses to cut costs. Hiring more full-time staff without the caseload to support it, only so they can force full-time staff to work 6 and 7 days a week to get their hours, This way they don't have to pay PRN for weekend coverage. Productivity/scheduling/POS documentation expectations are unrealistic. Conference calls with CEO Dan Hirschfeld (GRS) to have our hands slapped. He literally said that medicare cuts were OUR fault because not enough of us wrote to congress. Wages frozen for several yrs. The one year that they did allow them, they reduced the max allowed increase from 3% to 2% and then regional managers who didn't even know the employees that were being reviewed made decisions as to how much the employee deserved (it was never the whole 2%) Very hostile vibe coming from upper management/corporate. Much intimidation. I've never worked for a company that seems to hate it's employees so. My partner used to be jealous of the love I had for my job just a few years ago, now I cry nearly everyday because I am so miserable. Everyday I go into work I wonder what are they going to take away next? Will this be the day my job is finally eliminated completely in order to hire a cheap new grad? I could go on and on, but I would end up giving away enough info for them to figure out who I am and eliminate me...and I need my job.

I won't bother with advice that you won't heed. You're a company of cutthroat pirates who know nothing of care and compassion. You breed hate with every building you infect. $$$$$$$$$ is all you see.

Unethical and Terrible Management

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

The pay was average for the setting.

Cons

Incompetent managers who constantly lie to their employees.
    Terrible work - life balance. Genesis refuses to hire PRN staff and insists that their regular staff cover all needs. It is impossible to take time off, due to their unwillingness to hire PRNs. I was told point blank that I can submit time off requests, but they will be immediately denied.

This company needs all new management. The managers clearly have no training in how to manage effectively. I'm really not sure how this company got so big with such incompetent people running it.

Poor skilled/incompetent human resources personnel

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Gaining Invaluable experience.
    DNS (at that time) was really nice. Down to earth

Cons

Salary not given by merit.
    DNS has no say in the hiring/firing of nurses- administrator, a non nurse, decides.

DNS should do the hiring/firing.
    The fixed fri/sat/sun/mon schedule is impractical

Genesis HealthCare Photos