Genesis HealthCare Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
2.6
Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good people to work with; flexibility; good pay (in 11 reviews)

• They offered good benefits at the time (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't seem to have empathy for the dynamics involved in the field (in 23 reviews)

• Very poor & stressful working conditions; dangerous for quality patient care; Corporate leadership not to be trusted (in 16 reviews)

1. The Worst Company I ever worked for in 17 yrs.

Former Employee - OTR in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - OTR in West Chester, PA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I Love working with older people. My Coworkers were a great group of people to work with.

Cons

I have never worked where management that was so condescending and disrespectful to all of us Therapists. All that upper management was worried about was PRODUCTIVITY. The benefits are very expensive and it is not 100% coverage. Also, the deductibles are high.. When I left, I had 13 vacation days It is a Genesis policy NOT to pay you for any remaining vacation days you may have. I thought this was illegal, but I called the state and it is not unfortunately. In my 20 yrs. of employment, I NEVER did not receive payment for my unused vacation days.

Advice to Management

If you treat your well deserving employees with respect and kindness, you will get ten fold in return!

2. nurse

Former Employee - Pennsylvania
    Former Employee - Pennsylvania

I worked at Genesis HealthCare part-time

Pros

continuing education and nice physical environment

Cons

Poor management -NHA and DON

Advice to Management

Concentrate more on quality care and less on money

3. Rehab Tech

Former Employee - Rehabilitation Tech Coordinator in Maplewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Rehabilitation Tech Coordinator in Maplewood, NJ

I worked at Genesis HealthCare (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good benefit,flexible hour,rate is good.

Cons

Nursing service is kind of bad,but they can do better

Advice to Management

none

5. Some better than others

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Policies and Procedures put in place, some caring staff, not all genesis facilities are alike and they range from Pretty Great/satisfactory to horrendous

Cons

Little opportunity for advancement unless your a "favorite"

Beware

Pros

Funny that pros are mandatory. There are no pros about this company. Free toilet paper maybe? You're allowed to take lunch? Maybe executives are the only ones that see the pros because they're the ones that get taken care of...

Cons

Benefits are terrible. Management treats people like they are expendable. Compensation for all roles is well below market value. If you desperately need a job, and this is the only place that takes you, accept your offer. But jump ship as soon as you find a better opportunity. This company does not care about its employees at all. Management would rather keep all of the money for themselves. There's also no room for growth (not even laterally). Also, as a last note, I left when I found a better opportunity.

Advice to Management

There are too many execs for no reason. Lean out. Fire the managers who don't actually manage. Having lazy managers and execs does nothing for your company.

7. Benefits

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are offered to all full time employees and there is excellent care to all residents and patients of Genesis.

Cons

Benefits are not offered to any other type of employee and are extremly expensive for all full time employees.

8. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Pros

Great place to work, would recommend!

Cons

Need more pay but great to start.

9. PCA

Former Employee - West Virginia in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - West Virginia in Charleston, WV

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working with older people

Cons

Management needs to get better

Occupational Therapist

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

Therapy coworkers are nice, as most therapists (anywhere) are great

Cons

This is probably the WORST company I've ever worked for. Never have I felt so uncared for. The company provides the worst health insurance I have ever had and it's not cheap. There is a 10,000 max out of pocket annual expense (for out of network), and having a baby this year, I will blow through that and the 10,000 out of pocket annual expense for my future beloved baby (so 20,000 total), taking money out of our baby's mouth so to speak, despite paying 300/ month for each plan. How can a health care company demonstrate they care so little about the basic needs of their employees? Yet, despite this, they make employees jump through ridiculous hoops so that their premiums don't go up. Try calling the benefits hotline or someone from HR and you will be in cue for atleast an hour and if you leave messages no one will get back to you, so you have to spend your off time chasing people down. The company (like all rehab companies) send you home when things slow, but unlike other rehab companies, have an insane amount of paperwork, so you are forced to basically ignore your patients all day to go through pages and pages of ridiculous paperwork so they cant be denied on their claims. And gear up for regular calls with the president who will complain profits are not high enough (for their shareholders and so they CEO can make even MORE money), all the while they are buying up buildings and expanding left and right, even growing into China and bragging about it, while they send you home and you can barely pay your bills.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care a lot more about the basic needs of their employees and patients and less about profits for themselves and their shareholders. This company is making me hate my job and life.

11. Great

Pros

I was a bit skeptical at first because everything was done through the Internet and live chat so it seemed fishy but at the end of the day it all worked out

Cons

Very fast paced but it will work out

Advice to Management

Great job keep it up

RSS Feed </> Embed