Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated December 18, 2014
Updated December 18, 2014
2.6

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 11 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Run...

Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Lebanon, NH
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Lebanon, NH

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Great co-workers and patient population

Cons

Only care about maintaing 90% pch yet won't give you the formula to calculate your pch. Annual reviews and raises are contingent on your ability to maintain this ridiculous standard. They constantly push for more screenings of unskilled patients to be added to caseload. When you stand up and say that it's not ethical and refuse to screen these patients they make it difficult for you to stay. They decrease your hours to 20hra so you can't get benefits or unemployment. Every patient is over treated and on the omnicycle for a minimum of 15min.

Focus on patients not the dollar

Keeps getting worse..

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Agawam, MA
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Agawam, MA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are wonderful, hard working, truly care about the residents. Acute-care is good experience.

Cons

I have been here over three years, starting as a new graduate LPN. In that time period, the turnover with employees has been huge. Many long term employees left due to management. Currently, there are no 3-11 or weekend supervisors, there has not been in about 6 month.
    There are agency nurses working almost every shift, every day of the week to fill in the gaps because staffing is so low. Getting time off is extremely hard, even if you ask months in advance. If you do not have enough vacation time, you must find your own coverage of a regular, not per diem, employee (hard to do when there are few people that can actually cover your shifts). If you are sick, they interrogate you as to why you are calling out and ask personal questions.
    Upper management is extremely disrespectful of employees, reprimanding employees in public, discussing personal information in public, and talking about other employees when other people can hear.
    I have had a $0.50 raise in the three and a half years since I have started. I have not received my raise or annual review for this year (six months late).
    Attitudes of certain employees that have been there for years are never addressed. Some employees are downright rude and disrespectful to new employees and are never spoken to about it. According to management, "well that's just so and so, nothing we can do about it."
    When employees go per diem, or put in their notice for termination of employment, they are treated terribly by management and even some staff members. Management has been known to bully employees who quit.

Appreciate all the hard work your employees do! Stop giving employees grief when they call out sick or need time off.

Nothing Special

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very laid back atmosphere. Love the residents here and my other colleagues. Definitely helps you grow in the people skills area.

Cons

Administration seems a bit lacking. Seems disorganized at times. Orientation/training does not explain all parts of the job. Felt as though I was just thrown into it.

Get organized.

Work in Thearpy department at Powerback Lakewood CO- Terrible Company - They don't care about employees or patients.

Current Employee - PTA in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - PTA in Denver, CO

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't say one PRO about this company.. WORST COMPANY. IT IS CLEAR THEY ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY. I HAVE ONLY BEEN THERE FOR 3 MONTHS AND LOOKING FOR DIFFERENT JOB. The only PRO I can think of is helping patients. However They except your productivity to be 87.5% when they have you running around a 110 bed building so you are typing most of the treatment session because I can have up to 18 patients in a 10 hour day. So patient care in bad because I don't feel like I am giving good quality patient care because they are so concerned about your productivity. my average for one month was 85.5% and I got asked how I can cute 10 minutes out of my day to reach 87.5% ...I don't know when I don't even have time to go to the restroom. I guess the only pro is that one weekend a month a get a 4 day weekend because they make you work on Saturday a month.

Cons

- NO work life balance. They prefer 6 months notice for time off. They said at least 60 days notice is required . And any notice for time off between 30-60 days will be considered but highly likely will not be approved.
    -If you find someone to work for you for a day off and not even ask for PTO they won't approve it because PRN help cost more
    -No training. Beneifts are terrible
    - I came from a facility where the therapist worked as a TEAM to help patients and had meetings with staff/family to follow care. NO teamwork here at this facility, therapist are not involved in the planning for patients care after their stay.
    - I feel like a number there not an employee.
    -Therapist assistants have to jump through loop holes to use an modality on a patient. Gensis cleary does not want therapist to use modalities due to possible liabilities . A therapist can't even put an ice pack on a patient unless an evaluating therapist has it as a code in the evaluation and the general area of the body. I had a patient for 3 days that was in pain and even though IFC was a short term goal and a billing code I could not do it because a PT had to do it first therefore I had to keep emailing management to have a PT see the patient so IFC could be started. very degrading to what we went to school for and it show poor patient care. I could go on and on but I am so glad this was not my first job out of school otherwise I would have a terrible taste in my mouth for the Therapy world. there is not one good thing about this company and most of the therapy staff is looking for other jobs.

Learn to treat your employees like people versus prisoners and slaves. It must be bad with PRN staff say they are glad they don't work their full time

worst work experience EVER!

Former Employee - Contract Therapist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Contract Therapist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

not one single thing about this company

Cons

Upper management LOVES to belittle and make staff feel worthless. I wish I could name names here. It amazes me how positions magically appeared to promote ones friends. Nepotism reigns with this company. If you want to work with a reputable company then RUN RUN RUN AWAY from this one! In 25+ years of working, I have never been so disgusted to see how staff therapist are treated!

Fire all upper management and start over!

Genesis Rehab Services

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ambitious in its company expansion. Now functioning in China!

Cons

Expansion efforts short change employees, in my opinion.

Decent company, good training, horrible for new nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Allentown, PA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, the company's formal training program for RNs was pretty impressive. Salary was good. Benefits okay with limited choices.

Cons

Would not recommend for new RNs since this company found it acceptable to have LPNs training new RNs, which is not good since such person knew LPNs were being phased out in favor of RNs and therefore had a record for being exceptionally critical of new RNs and had many fired. Later, this new RN found employment at another facility and had a much more positive first-time working experience ... and was successful in LTC and later, acute care.

See cons.

very hard place to work !

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

love my co worker, close to home

Cons

Management is bad, nerve enough help!

My worst job experience

Former Employee - CNA in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - CNA in Boston, MA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The patients are wonderful, I love seeing the smiles on their faces when I'm helping them.

Cons

CNAs and nurses don't respond to call lights, they'll let them go off for extended periods of time and that's not fair to the patients. Often I'll answer a call light and a patient will ask for a nurse because they're in pain or need medication, I'll tell the nurse and they'll wave me off and wait a half hour-45 minutes for their PRN meds. I've witnessed nurses, cnas and other staff ignore patients, using their phones, and telling them to shut up and go away (which is absolutely unacceptable). Upper level staff treat CNAs poorly, talk down to them. I witnessed another cna transfer a patient on a hoyer lift with the patient dangling UPSIDE DOWN because the pad was placed too low. When I asked her if we could adjust it and try again because I was concerned for her safety, she ignored me and proceeded to continue with the transfer while the poor patient was panicking! There is very little respect for anyone or anything in this company.

Great place to work, But... Pay is horrible

Current Employee - SLP in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - SLP in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

on top of their game with technology, provide what's needed to get the job done.

Cons

unrealistic productivity rates and terrible pay. They give less and less benefits each year and still expect more from emoloyees

Show appreciation for employees, it would help boost morale and productivity if paychecks allowed emoloyees to live above the poverty line

Genesis HealthCare Photos