Genesis HealthCare

www.genesishcc.com
Employer Engaged

I have been able to move up fairly quickly in this company

Current Employee - Rehabilitation Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Rehabilitation Coordinator in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Staff, patients, benefits, hours available, easy to use computer systems, in services, call conferences, easy to get in touch with corporate

Cons

Sometimes the merit increases don't get done every year which puts a damper on morale, not a lot of company picnics on GRS side like there was on GHC side.

nothing really

Great co-workers that are supportive when times are rough

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company has a great salary and co workers are very supportive of each other.

Cons

Very challenging to get any vacation time. Long days. Treated more like a number than a person

Respect that employees have/need to spend time away from work periodically. Make it easier to take vacation.

Work like a dog for a company that doesn't appreciate you and continually cuts benefits, wages and support staff.

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Lots of locations to work at.

Cons

Productivity focused with little time for quality patient care. Salary is not competitive. Support needed to achieve productivity demands is not provided. Only 2 holidays. Are expected to work all other holidays without any extra compensation.

Value your employees and thank them for their work and efforts. Even if salary was low, I would be more motivated and loyal if I felt as if someone cared.

Current employee

Current Employee - CNA in Deer Lodge, MT
    Current Employee - CNA in Deer Lodge, MT

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Some coworkers. Mostly just the residents.

Cons

Stressful.
    VERY rude nurses. Talk to you like you're 5 years old...
    SO. MUCH. DRAMA.
    Personal lives brought into the building wayyyy too much!
    Pay sucks. $9/hr as a CNA? I don't think so...
    Hours suck.
    Management changes your schedule and doesn't ask if you want it. Just tells you.
    Keep employees that are constantly complained about for not doing there job or for being rude, simply because they can't afford to lose staff.
    Get treated like a freaking 5 year old.
    Hard to talk to managent about anything.
    Nurses are mean to residents. Not just CNA's.
    Barely any teamwork.
    No appreciation.
    Etc, etc, etc.

Its pretty ridiculous that my mother has a friend who lives somewhere else, works at Dairy freaking Queen, and is making $14/hr. While I'm sitting here busting my butt as a CNA, taking care of someone's family, and get paid $9/hr. Seems ridiculous.
    Nurses should NEVER be allowed to look at a resident and tell them "if you don't eat/drink this you're going to DIE". They shouldn't make us force feed the residents. Or force fluids down their throats. Yea, we wanna keep them alive and well. But, that's abuse. And Deer Lodge Care and Rehabilitation goes against so many rules when it comes to resident rights. They make us get them up and bring them to meals when they don't want to go. Then the residents get mad at US. I'm ashamed to work for this place. If I didn't need my job for the sake of my daughter and my apartment, I would've quit forever ago. And I haven't even been there very long....

Big company, less personal relationship with employees. We're just elves that make the money.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

Good co-workers, good facility. Online CEU's. More opportunity to transfer facility. Fast growing company. They just merged with hallmark rehab and starting business in China. Dan CEO seems enthusiastic about Genesis.

Cons

Not enough orientation as new employee. I see that my DOR is the HR too with high productivity standards. She does urine drug testing because the company is so cheap to do oral swab or send you to a lab. When we have questions it's hard to reach the DACO/Area manager. Area manager's style is to leave you alone to figure it out. No support. Very frustrating. There's mandatory uniforms but only provided 2 so you have to buy the rest at $20 each. PCH or productivity is unreasonable. What kind of company makes you promise to embrace change? Isn't that a given unless the company plans to do unreasonable requests and then makes you to make that promise to shut up. If there's an opening somewhere I'll leave this company.

Be a little more supportive of your employees. Orient well so less questions and mistakes in the future. Be realistic and be grateful to your employees we're not just robots making money for you.

Headless Monster

Current Employee - Director of Dining Services
    Current Employee - Director of Dining Services

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Competitive pay for management, the product that Food And Nutrition produces is great quality

Cons

No support from the company for their expectations, and very poor communication about what they even are. Various departments are sharply divided, no unity. It takes forever to hire someone, the process is very clunky and computer based, and pay for non-exempt employees is noncompetetive, meaning that good candidates never apply and the mediocre ones that do often give up. Budgets are unrealistic for labor, and are cut further whenever the company has a shortfall. No accountability - nursing aides get away with murder since they're always in short supply. Anything they refuse to do gets pawned off on other departments, but those other departments don't get those labor hours to actually do it. Lousy training - if you get any at all, but you'll be expected to know everything right away. Locked in on approved vendors - and they know it, so customer service from them is atrocious. Benefits were great but have now been altered and are very expensive and offer less.

Work on building bridges between the departments. Ensure your own policies are being followed. Balancing your budget on the backs of your employees is unsustainable.

Klondike Center

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful residents, small community, great ARNP and Pyhician.

Cons

Poor staffing, unrealistic expectation in relation to staffing, does not embrace change to meet needs of residents, nurse and CNA workload.

Eliminate non essential duties to free charge nurses from the chains of a desk and doing "busy" work so they can do more than just pass meds and get charting completed. Prevention and restorative care are the key to quality care and low instances of falls, UTI's, pneumonia, and IHAPU. Investment of part time unit managers and, in some cases, bringing the unit manager back to the unit will help these percentages drop and eventually will make managements's job easier. It's in the research! Advancing education is always a plus.

Great place

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Affordable health insurance, competitive pay.

Cons

To many cuts in lately.

great company

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

great oppurntuntis...I had a good job and worked with great people. There were a lot of great educational opporunties. I felt like like I could have worked there longer if not allowed a better job somewhere else.

Cons

The pay was average....the benfits were average. The dont have a lot of facilities in my area so moving was not an option. They didnt re-imburse tutition unless there was an internal need for the education/ career.

Just went Public...

Current Contractor - PTA in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - PTA in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Coworkers and the patients...it's getting harder and harder to spend quality time with patients due to productivity standards.

Cons

Horrific benefits, poor pay, limited support from mgt, unrealistic productivity standards, unreasonable schedules and vacation requirements, no 401k match, no overtime or holiday pay.

Start investing in your employees and worry less about your bottom line...good employees are starting to leave...address this now before the flood gates open up and you go bankrupt again!

Genesis HealthCare Photos