Genesis HealthCare Reviews

361 reviews filtered by

Negative

Current Employee - COTA/L in Rochester, NH
    Current Employee - COTA/L in Rochester, NH

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They have not eliminated paid time off or medical benefits yet.

Cons

Unreasonable productivity demands causing ethical billing delemmas daily
    No breaks
    No pay raise in years
    All the company cares about is making money, compromising quality of care to do so
    They do no allow COTA's to perform at the top of their license, you are treated more like a rehab tech
    Although you receive paid sick leave, you are strongly encouraged to make up the day or get written up for taking 3 separate days within 90 days.

Advice to Management

Management needs to acknowledge work well done and not just productivity. It would be helpful if management also recognized we are working with medically compromised individuals who have rights and those rights need to be acknowledged.

Challenging but for a 10 year veteran the just right challenge

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Covington, IN
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Covington, IN

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great IT department fantastic computer system for notes and billing

Cons

The company demands big time productivity sometimes 90 percent

3. So-so

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time

Pros

Great therapy coworkers and lots of access to online CEUs

Cons

Productivity standards are impossible to meet most days while remaining ethical.

Started off good, but rapidly went downhill

Former Employee - BOM in Everett, WA
    Former Employee - BOM in Everett, WA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Patients/residents. They are what I miss the most, really about the only thing that I miss.

Cons

People with little experience or education are put into positions of authority and lack the talent and tact to make it successful. This company burns through good and fantastic employees and tosses them aside. In 2 years the building I worked in went through 3 administrators alone. Management at buildings are not knowledgeable enough in each department to know what's really going on. Company employs regional staff members that staff at the building have a "dotted line" reporting structure. Each department is so focused on their own goals and how things impact them that they lose sight of trying to build a cohesive working environment. Different standards for different employees. I would daily hear comments from Regional staff about not completing a certain task is considered a "terminable offense", but then when duties shifted in my department, those same tasks all of a sudden became "not really important and necessary to do". Regional staff would degrade staff and treatment can only be classified as abuse. When reported to HR I received comments such as "they are working with regional staff member on her people skills" and they are "training her how to speak to staff". Really? and this is who you have a regional "expert" and this is who the building administrators rely on providing them details? I stuck it out for over two years before finally realizing that I was better than that and could do so much better and I did. Believe it or not, there are actually really good skilled nursing facilities out there that actually care about their staff and administrators who want to learn what really happens in their building and people who actually work together towards a common goal and it's amazing that when you are treated with respect and dignity that you actually care about what you do and love going to work each day.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff and care about them. If you see a building going through numerous staff members, then maybe dig into it a bit more and see where the problem is. I couldn't take the abuse any longer and just left. Not one person called and actually wanted to follow up with me as to why. Problems are swept under the rug. The regional QAM has ran off more staff members in my building, but nothing is done about it. It can't always be the person who left, there are reasons why they leave and you should look into that.

6. This is a stable company to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Stable work environment. Always work to do. Good coworkers. Locations all over the place with the opportunity to transfer. There are some good programs like the employee foundation.

Cons

The pay is not competitive with other companies. Company keeps growing but does not hire more to keep up with work load. Then they don't give raises even though you are doing more work.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth.

Coercive Power Management

Former Employee - SLP in Roswell, NM
    Former Employee - SLP in Roswell, NM

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

The pros were working with the geriatric population, and developing POTs for patients.

Cons

Ridiculously high productivity model. The whip was cracked on us daily over that. Many of us would clock out to do paperwork, so we could meet the productivity percentage. Pay was based hourly, so it meant very long days, as all the patients were individually targeted for therapy sessions.

Advice to Management

Since I was the sole SLP, I only had myself to depend on for completion of screenings, evaluations, therapy, and carry-over skills of patients. No PRN was available. I was only allowed one week of vacation at a time. My first vacation came 1.5 years later, after this company took over. My days were 10-12 hours long most of the time. When a resignation letter is presented, forfeiture of accrued PTO is automatic. Not a best practice, but no one is going to enforce anything, because no law exists for that in my state. It is a tattletale, micromanagement model. It makes the workplace a stressful, often hostile environment. When I placed my resignation, immediately I was bullied. Attempting to leave sooner than the resignation date is not an option. I was threatened with being blacklisted for attempting to employ constructive resignation. As to my reference letter, my boss conveniently ignored it. I will stay on that, since I worked at my host facility for nearly three years. I deserve that much. Five minutes after I clocked out for the last time, my boss cleaned off my desk within five minutes. Good thing I had the foresight to extract all my personal belongings ahead of time. I'm glad for the experience, but truly the bottom line is profitability.

8. Decent company to work for

Current Employee - SLP in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - SLP in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great team and management, enjoyed working with staff. Patients are great to work with. License reimbursed

Cons

Salary not up to the mark, no regular vacation days (4th of July, Labor Day etc)
    Work with limited patient population

Advice to Management

Allow regular vacation days and raises

Budget is number 1 Residents number 2

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Weekly pay
    Decent benefits
    Close to home

Cons

Building as a whole is a mess
    Takes a month to hire new employees
    No control over your department administrator has the final say.
    Polices and procedures in place something dont make sense to sensible human being.

Advice to Management

Resign so people with fresh ideas van lead the company

Incompetent leadership.

Former Employee - Rehab Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Rehab Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Interesting and needy patient caseload. Establishment of mutually beneficial professional relationships is possible.

Cons

Vicious, brutal management style, designed to mask the incompetence of the leadership. Clinicians were repeatedly threatened, insulted, misrepresented and falsely accused by depraved and uncivilized Directors and Area Managers. All employees found their supervisors and upper management to be repulsive in their ineptitude and boorishness.

Advice to Management

They should be ashamed of themselves. Serves them right to lose so much business in one year.

Run

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Nothing I can think of

Cons

Only care about frauding the system

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees

Genesis HealthCare Photos