Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)
www.genesishcs.org Zanesville, OH 1000 to 5000 Employees

Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) Reviews

Updated Feb 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mathew Perry

A great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked with a great group of people. I miss them. It is a great place to work.

ConsA little bit of drama

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your relationships with clinical coordinators. You don't want to seem to close. Employees won't feel comfortable to coming to you with problems. Clinical coordinators shouldn't be telling the ENTIRE department the issues of another employee. Such as why they requested a day off or that their mother is ill. ect

aide

Aide (Former Employee)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) part-time for less than a year

Prosnone this place was bad

Consmanagement, coworkers didnt do there job

Horrible place to work!!!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Zanesville, OH

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThere are very many smart compassionate employees who really care about the patients. I work with many nice and caring people.

ConsI would advise anyone to say away from this place! The insurance is very expensive and covers very little. Of course you must use their Hospital and doctors. The medical staff is sub par, but treated as royalty. The Hospital is old, dirty and the equipment is very outdated. They time off policy is a joke. They don't even offer bereavement, you have to use your vacation. You can't even use the time off policy because they are so understaffed.You are constantly expected to stay many hours over your shift with no extra compensation. I do have a family and struggle to find a sitter who will watch my children 16 hours a day. Can't afford an in home nanny. I don't work in management.
There is little communication from management .Policies are interpreted at the discretion of each department manager always to their benefit. Don't ever question a doctor, even if the outcome could be bad for the patient you will be fired. Employees are to bow down to every physcian because they bring in revenue. It's all about the mighty dollar. The new CEO has cut benefits and raises so he can make a name for himself by building a new hospital. Management knows they don't have to treat you fairly because there are many nursing schools in the area, and plenty of new grads to take your job if you quit or get fired. The morale is so low and everyone is constantly complaining. With the tight job market they have no choice. No compassion for employees or patients. Management doesn't know how to manage finances. Poorly run and always in the red. I would not go there for medical treatment of any kind even though I work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees as human beings! If you build a new facility at the expense of your employees you have built nothing. Your employees make it what it is.

Family away from family, Even though I do not work directly w/ patients, my compassion is shown from within the kichen.

Food Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

ProsGenesis offers alot of benefits, you earn PTO(Paid Time Off) that you can use for persnal use or have doc app.. You feel like you belong like the managements really values your abilities and accomplishments Also you can chose between 3 medical plans that best suits your needs. We live the Genesis mission and are proud to be chosen as one ogf the Top 100 hospitals. we have acheived alot.

ConsSometimes you may not get a day off for a week or more.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that the management offers more feedback to their employees now than in years passed. Every milestone we develope or accomplish the management is having open forums, putting info in the connections. I am proud of what you all have accomplished.

If you are in the middle you are ok...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Zanesville, OH

I worked at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

Pros-For the area pay is good as long as you are salary (buy only option in the area)
-Medical coverage is good, as long as you use Genesis docs, hospital, and pharmacy

Cons-If you work on a unit, expect to get stepped on often
-Once you accept that all doctors are god, even when they throw a chair across a room, then you will be fine
-If you stand up to a doctor, even when they are wrong, you will be fired
-Time off is a joke, first year is less that 14 days for sick, personal, all holiday, and vacation (even less if you are not full time). If you are a part time hourly employee you will earn about one shift off per 2 months (4 pays)
-Management and team work is NOT encouraged...
-Unless you have to work here, goto Newark (Licking memorial is wonderful) or Columbus

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to get their nose out of their blackberries (playing games, reading news, sending inappropriate emails), and pay attention to the company. Genesis needs to leave the good ol boys club of south eastern ohio

Genesis

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

ProsLots of great people at Genesis!

ConsThe politics are ridiculous.
I think Matt Perry is very shielded as to what is really going on...

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen will we see the day when SLT isn't constantly on their BBs during meetings? It's time to pay attention.

Our new CEO (Matt Perry) will lead us into a great future

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

ProsThe new CEO has the vision and drive to make the hospital a leader. The location in Ohio allow us to serve many needy communites. We have some of the best Doctors in their field practicing at Genesis.

ConsThe management that is left over from the last CEO need to fully embrace the new vision in order for us to grow. We need to do a better job in bringing in the fresh new ideas Mr. Perry has. The QA dept needs to do a better job of focusing on the things we do well and expand those instead of just focusing on the bad .

Advice to Senior ManagementEvaluate the performance of current management and give them more direction or give someone else the chance to lead us into the future that MR. Perry wants

Good place to work, have learned alot, lots of good people working here

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

ProsGood team members, good support for individuals on nursing units, but don't float into some units they treat you like the scum of the earth. Great learning expierences. Benefits are okay.

ConsMinimal chance for advancement, unless you are part of the "in crowd". Poor time off for illness, doctor's excuses for missing time from work mean nothing. For a healthcare provider, employees are allowed only 3 days off a year for illness before being written up for attendence. No flexibility in schedules, pay could be better.Only certian individuals get the top pay raise every year. No pay raise if you have a written discipline action...they are punishing you like a child.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of your butts, and listen to what is important to your employees. You have a large number of caring and dedicated people working for you, treat them as such!

It has been a pleasant place to work for the most part, some ups and some downs.

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

ProsWorking with the public providing great healthcare is very rewarding to me. I feel good about what services we offer.

ConsThere have recently been a lot of changes to the units which makes it more challenging to complete your tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey tell us a lot that we are part owners of Genesis, if its true, why are we not paid better?

I am very happy at Genesis and feel I will remain working there as long as they will have me.

Resource Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

ProsMy colleagues are great nurses and techs and together, we make a great place to work. Our work gets lighter due to the fact that we are comfortable with our work and our peers. I feel we are treated well as to pay and hours. If a person needs a question answered or some help, my bosses are great and take time to listen and offer suggestions or aid.

ConsNone, really except that I have lived in Zanesville all my life and I know a lot of people. It is hard to not acknowledge friends and relatives who are admitted to the hospital due to HIPPA, but that isn't Genesis' fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the lines of communication as open as possible and listen with both ears.:)

Worked for Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) CEO Mathew Perry. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) employees.