Genesis HealthCare System (ohio)

www.genesishcs.org

3.2
Mathew Perry

1. Par

I worked at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) full-time

Pros

Great place to work for and outstanding outstanding customer service. Would highly recommend to anyone out there looking for a job.

Cons

It is a plac that is hard to get hired into. Once your there it is okay but at first good luck getting in there.

Bad Decision

Pros

Honestly, anything that was at all nice about this hospital when I first started were taken away over the next couple of years.

Cons

The benefits are deplorable. I've yet to hear of another company that does not offer full time employees holidays, bereavement, or maternity leave (all come out of the same bank as your sick, holiday, and personal time, and you only get about 15 days per year to begin with). Insurance is not good, and if you want the "discount," you have to do all kinds of silly little things like meeting with a nutritionist and logging your visits to their gym. Pay is not up to par with other hospitals, either. Disciplines do not work well together. Everyone is encouraged to "write each other up," even for small and insignificant things. This creates resentment between and even within units. I could go on and on, but instead I'll just say that there are so many great hospitals in the state. Consider any other over Genesis.

Working as PCT / MST

Former Employee - Mst in Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Mst in Zanesville, OH

I worked at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great insurance benefits - handy to have your bill deducted from paycheck. Pay is good for this part of Ohio. Very flexible schedules. Love, love, love 12hr shifts. Gives extra days off.

Cons

Self-evaluation process can actually allow you to hang yourself should you not meet goals that the company or yourself have set for the calendar year. You may miss out on getting a raise. Transferring from one dept/job to another is rumored to be muddied in the way that your current manager can request HR not allow you to transfer to the new dep/job. The employee may not be informed that their request has been blocked. However, should you earn a degree, transferring is no problem as you will not qualify to work in your previous position.

5. Good place to work

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Zanesville, OH

I worked at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and for. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to work in a team environment. Benefits are also very good compared to other places I have worked.

Cons

I think that sometimes some of the policies were a little to rigid and I also think that there could be better staff to patient ratios for safety and care reasons.

Advice to Management

Overall I think it is a good place to work. I think better communication with staff and praise when things go right would go along way.

6. A great place to work

I worked at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a great group of people. I miss them. It is a great place to work.

Cons

A little bit of drama

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your relationships with clinical coordinators. You don't want to seem to close. Employees won't feel comfortable to coming to you with problems. Clinical coordinators shouldn't be telling the ENTIRE department the issues of another employee. Such as why they requested a day off or that their mother is ill. ect

7. aide

Former Employee - Aide
    Former Employee - Aide

I worked at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none this place was bad

Cons

management, coworkers didnt do there job

8. Horrible place to work!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Zanesville, OH

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare System (ohio) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are very many smart compassionate employees who really care about the patients. I work with many nice and caring people.

Cons

I would advise anyone to say away from this place! The insurance is very expensive and covers very little. Of course you must use their Hospital and doctors. The medical staff is sub par, but treated as royalty. The Hospital is old, dirty and the equipment is very outdated. They time off policy is a joke. They don't even offer bereavement, you have to use your vacation. You can't even use the time off policy because they are so understaffed.You are constantly expected to stay many hours over your shift with no extra compensation. I do have a family and struggle to find a sitter who will watch my children 16 hours a day. Can't afford an in home nanny. I don't work in management. There is little communication from management .Policies are interpreted at the discretion of each department manager always to their benefit. Don't ever question a doctor, even if the outcome could be bad for the patient you will be fired. Employees are to bow down to every physcian because they bring in revenue. It's all about the mighty dollar. The new CEO has cut benefits and raises so he can make a name for himself by building a new hospital. Management knows they don't have to treat you fairly because there are many nursing schools in the area, and plenty of new grads to take your job if you quit or get fired. The morale is so low and everyone is constantly complaining. With the tight job market they have no choice. No compassion for employees or patients. Management doesn't know how to manage finances. Poorly run and always in the red. I would not go there for medical treatment of any kind even though I work there.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as human beings! If you build a new facility at the expense of your employees you have built nothing. Your employees make it what it is.

9. Family away from family, Even though I do not work directly w/ patients, my compassion is shown from within the kichen.

Current Employee - Food Service Associate in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Food Service Associate in Zanesville, OH

Pros

Genesis offers alot of benefits, you earn PTO(Paid Time Off) that you can use for persnal use or have doc app.. You feel like you belong like the managements really values your abilities and accomplishments Also you can chose between 3 medical plans that best suits your needs. We live the Genesis mission and are proud to be chosen as one ogf the Top 100 hospitals. we have acheived alot.

Cons

Sometimes you may not get a day off for a week or more.

Advice to Management

I think that the management offers more feedback to their employees now than in years passed. Every milestone we develope or accomplish the management is having open forums, putting info in the connections. I am proud of what you all have accomplished.

10. If you are in the middle you are ok...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zanesville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zanesville, OH

Pros

-For the area pay is good as long as you are salary (buy only option in the area) -Medical coverage is good, as long as you use Genesis docs, hospital, and pharmacy

Cons

-If you work on a unit, expect to get stepped on often -Once you accept that all doctors are god, even when they throw a chair across a room, then you will be fine -If you stand up to a doctor, even when they are wrong, you will be fired -Time off is a joke, first year is less that 14 days for sick, personal, all holiday, and vacation (even less if you are not full time). If you are a part time hourly employee you will earn about one shift off per 2 months (4 pays) -Management and team work is NOT encouraged... -Unless you have to work here, goto Newark (Licking memorial is wonderful) or Columbus

Advice to Management

Management needs to get their nose out of their blackberries (playing games, reading news, sending inappropriate emails), and pay attention to the company. Genesis needs to leave the good ol boys club of south eastern ohio

Genesis

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zanesville, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Zanesville, OH

Pros

Lots of great people at Genesis!

Cons

The politics are ridiculous. I think Matt Perry is very shielded as to what is really going on...

Advice to Management

When will we see the day when SLT isn't constantly on their BBs during meetings? It's time to pay attention.

RSS Feed </> Embed