Genesis Reviews

CEO

Good experience

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Morristown, NJ
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Morristown, NJ

I worked at Genesis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, regular communication with program manager. Reasonable productivity expectations, opportunities for overtime (if desired). Clinical support available, paid continuing education and AOTA membership.

Cons

Not enough computers available, software programs were slow making documentation and billing time consuming. Management was inconsistent with holding therapists accountable (some therapy assistants did not pull their weight with documentation responsibilities.

Did not require healthcare benefits however, it would be a plus if people who do not need medical benefits were offered an incentive. I worked for one company who would credit people not requiring medical benefits $100 each pay period.

Very good.

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in North Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in North Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Genesis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was very happy with the interview process and the culture at this company. The recruiter was very friendly and helpful.

Cons

I am concerned that there will not be a lot of opportunity for growth. So we shall see.

Enjoyable skilled nursing setting

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Genesis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clinical specialist are available for practitioner support. Great CEU availability and documentation system is easy to use. Great support from rehab manager.

Cons

Vacation time must be requested way to far in advance. Productivity standards are high and no overtime is approved on a weekly basis.

Run

Former Employee - Customer Insight Manager in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Insight Manager in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Genesis full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None worth mentioning except a few kindred souls

Cons

Will work you until you wither and die

Get a heart

My experience has been frustrating and overwhelming with unrealistically expected time management.

I have been working at Genesis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

fair benefits, ability to transfer to other genesis facilities although that is one of the longest and most frustrating processes,

Cons

meticulously detailed documentation required for daily notes, progress notes, re-certifications, and evaluations, scheduling promotes/encourages poor ethics and fraudulence

employees unhappy with difficulty obtaining their time off and being over-scheduled d/t heavy caseload with additional required meticulously detailed documentation

Well organized, friendly (Staff, residents, Nursing), and up to date with eMAR, PHI.

Current Employee - MAA in Milford, MA
    Current Employee - MAA in Milford, MA

I have been working at Genesis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was an Intern, Medical Administrative Assistant and Genesis Milford Center, was kind enough to host me. It was a very good learning experience. I had been a nurse for 39 years, got disabled, went back to school, when I was well enough, at Everest in Brighton. I learned the other side of nursing, the administrative end.

Cons

Not enough $ in the budget to hire me.

They were great in assisting my learning.

Supportive work environment

Current Employee - Speech Pathologist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Speech Pathologist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Genesis full-time (more than an year)

Pros

supportive work environment, challenging, always something new to learn

Cons

keeping up with ever-changing policies in healthcare, documentation challenges

Presently working PRN

Current Employee - COTA in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - COTA in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Genesis as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cont. ed opportunities Plus nice people to work with @ facilities

Cons

Would like to work full or part time

I am available as needed

Genesis: Anderson, SC -

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Anderson, SC
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Anderson, SC

I worked at Genesis full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great nursing staff
    Clean facility
    Great population (Admissions Staff)
    STR beds were occupied by patients appropriate for STR with the majority anticipatin return home.

Cons

1. Dishonest Rehab Management that demonstrates a gross and blatant disregard for practicing within the confines of the law and maintaining practice standards. Unfortunately, no matter the approach, if concerns are voiced, then an unforgiving bullying campaign ensues that are wrought with wrongfully empowered subordinates... a PT's nightmare.

2. No, ABSOLUTELY NO! orientation despite promises of an elaborate orienting process during negotiations (this can become a problem considering the next point).

3. Genesis uses their own documentation system with specific clinical tests *required* in order to progress throughout the evaluation, a perfect recipe for "cookie-cutter" therapy, not my style. These clinical tests are chosen by Genesis; however, the equipment vitally necessary to complete the "standardized" tests is not even inventoried because they haven't obtained the equipment over the years (simple equipment, for example, a 6 inch step, or a location conducive for administering the 6 Meter Walk).
    The documentation system is the most tedious and time consuming user interface that I've worked with (including the OASIS). The data gathered from the clinical tests is useless in the Evidenced Based Practice Model due to the inavailability of a proper setting, proper equipment, an even the protocols for execution of STANDARDIZED tests; however, the reporting of these numbers is what Medicare wants, so they aren't entirely useless because they facilitate reimbursement rates. Now THAT's something Genesis will ensure gets done!

4. PTAs with blatant disregard of their respective clinical scope of practice, coupled with a lack of respect for themselves, others, patients, and authority. The PTAs do not refer to the POC for any information. Also, due to their lack of self-confidence, any 2-way conferencing regarding the patients and their POC is considered criticism. Believe me, they do not take criticism well, whether intended or not. So, not only is there no evaluation used for reference, eventually there is also no case conferencing or verbal dialogue between the PT and PTA regarding patient care for fear of retaliation. The result? The PTAs practice outside their scope, knowledge-base, qualifications, training, and education in order to execute "their own POC." While the PTA "pretends" to be a PT (while under the PT's license), the PT is left to "pretend" that they immersed in the patient's care through documentation and ensuring compliance.
    If this concern is voiced, 3/4 PTAs would fully escalate into an unprofessional scream, with inappropriate language, in front of patients (I kid you not), and management bearing witness with NO, ABSOLUTELY NO consequences that follow... Need I go on?

5. High turnover rate within the rehab team with the last estimate reporting >6-7 Full-Time PTs within < 2 years (*information obtained via 2nd-party, specifically reported on different occasions by 3 different rehab team members).

6. Never received benefit package promised (stayed there 8 weeks following the date my benefits were promised, in writing, to initiate). When questions were posed to management (on multiple levels) regarding obtaining the forms for initial enrollment, (remember no orientation), the manager would be busy and always promise follow through at a later date, which never happened.

7. Overall Lack of Professionalism

8. Gross and negligent Lack of Follow-Through at every level of the tier that I experienced.

9. Rehab management is *known* for their practice of issuing a schedule that is MATHEMATICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to complete in 8 hours and evade you when you request reduced minutes, while SIMULTANEOUSLY voicing in a loud voice that is obviously purposeful that "NO ONE CAN GET OVERTIME! NO EXCEPTIONS.... AND, BY THE WAY, REMEMBER WORKING OFF THE CLOCK IS GROUNDS FOR IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL!"... This should have been the first clue into their self-serving, unethical practices. Unfortunately, some are born with the plague of always expecting people to do the RIGHT THING. If "doing the right thing" is your approach when forging a partnership with Genesis?... take my word, you can go ahead and record your loss in the books.

10 Genesis's 1-800 number for "anonymous" reporting of non-compliance or questionable practice behaviors, the number that they state that Genesis can, "in no way retaliate against reporters" is an absolute joke.

I hope that this information helps. I apologize for the length of the excerpt and my wordiness. I truly wish I had known this information before accepting an offer from this company.

Go back to the drawing board. Then, start over by staying true to good ethical values, no matter the situation. Be transparent, honest, and trustworthy by simply always doing what you tell others you are going to do.

Best place to work!

Former Employee - Customer Service in Franklin, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Franklin, WI

I worked at Genesis full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid well, great group of people, owners treated us with respect!

Cons

Some employees took advantage of them.

Try to be more hands on.