Genesis Today

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Steve Brecher

Genesis Tomorrow!

Austin, TX

ProsWe love what we do. Making products that help people become healthier is very rewarding and admirable. Seeing our products out on the shelves in the market is really cool. The potential for this company is huge if they can get it right!

ConsGT is an extremely fast paced work environment. I have never worked somewhere where they moved at warp speed, so buckle up and be flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work modifying the culture. We have made so much progress in the last 6 months! We need more team building events company wide and within the departments. There needs to be more communication between departments.

Rapidly Growing Company, Great Place For Employees To Grow As Well.

Operations (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsCompany is growing very quickly. Brought in a GREAT new CEO who knows exactly what he is doing and is really turning this company around. Over the past year in particular, the work environment has improved dramatically culturally. They have weeded out the bad, and are making the necessary changes to keep every employee happy, and be successful.

ConsCompany is growing so fast that some projects seem to be forgotten about or slip through the cracks. Seems too many people are thinking short term instead of long term. Not very flexible when it comes to hours, but I'm optimistic this will change.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the time clock.

Executive Management is Paranoid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company is growing quickly, products are great, a lot of good talent and a few of the managers are great to work with. Talks shows have lifted this company to new heights.

ConsThe executives are puppets under a paranoid CEO & Owner which gives off a weird vibe throughout the company. It's all very unprofessional, but I guess that's all you can expect if your working for a quack! The company would definitely benefit if the Owner eventually retired or just focused on his talk shows so everyone could just relax.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe distrust in employees will eventually eat away at the core of your company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunities

ProsThere is plenty of room to make an impression, both in processes and relationships. The company is growing so fast, you will never be bored. And you will constantly interact with Directors to get the job done. Lots of growth, lots of changes, and lots of great opportunities. The new team of leadership is amazing (CEO, HR, Finance, R&D, IT, etc).

ConsEveryone is too busy each day to actually step back and think long term (and develop proper procedures). Some people wear too many hats to do any one job great. Communication is lacking between teams (below the Director level), but seems to be getting better.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire up. A lot. And fast. There is a clear lack of management (and training), and you cannot expect the Directors to do it all. Some teams are simply too small for the current expectations and volume.

Worst Place I have ever worked!

Undisclosed (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe company produces quality nutritional products, which is why they're more expensive than others, and it has a solid foundation in research and development

ConsThe management team, including the owners, are dictators who lack any true leadership skills and have no professional integrity or wisdom. They treat employees like slaves and have unrealistic expectations.

The owners are always pushing to release new products, expect employees to "jump" and change their schedules at a moment's notice to work overtime (even on weekends!), and employees are not compensated in any way, shape, or form for their hard work: no paid overtime - not even paid lunches or dinners during overtime hours.

Management expects new employees to learn by mind-reading; no training is provided; and when new employees make mistakes, they're dismissed (figuratively and literally). Nothing less than perfection is tolerated.

And employees are crowded together in tiny areas like sardines or work at tables in the warehouse. Yes, it's true! There are hidden cameras and microphones, and management spies on employees' electronic communications. They jump to conclusions without asking questions or trying to resolve issues. Paranoia!

Management behave like high schoolers with their clique mentality, huge egos, juvenile gossip, and methods of exerting professional exile on those who "don't fit in."

If you like working in a highly dysfunctional environment, then this company is the place for you. Otherwise...RUN!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet sensitivity training and check your egos.

A great place to grow and develop!

Field Marketing Representative (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsA dynamic, ever changing environment that allows for constant personal growth.

ConsWe've outgrown our current location and looking forward to moving this month to an awesome environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the collaboration with employees to keep them informed & involved.

Strong management team, lots of opportunity for growth and to make a difference!

Austin, TX

ProsGrowing company with experienced, enhanced management team hires in last 6 months
    A lot of strong, smart staff members thoughout the organization who support each other on cross-departmental initiatives, work well together
    Interesting industry, have competitive products and are innovative

ConsNeed some processes put in place but that's part of what makes it interesting - ability to participate in process improvement
    Fast pace, and you need to be able to multitask

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep lines of communication open/transparency
    Review/update benefits package

Change - Change - Change

Sales (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

Pros-new, competent leadership from CEO, Director of Marketing, Director of Sales, Chief Science & Innovation Officer and HR Mgr!
    -Exciting changes are happening at the company and the culture is changing for the better
    -Fast paced and growing

Cons-Moving so quickly sometimes we need to take a moment to ensure we are making the right decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Fasten your seat belt for accelerated growth

Austin, TX

Pros- Entrepreneurial environment, filled with passion. This is a great place for people with initiative who are fast paced and have a can do attitude.
    - New CEO, Steve Brecher, as of May/2014, is a great leader for the organization. He is also bringing new key agents of change across all departments so outlook is great.
    - Co-workers are generally nice.

Cons- Because the company is growing so fast, the company is catching up on staffing there may be a lot of work in your plate.
    - Benefits are a bit on the slim side, but as the company grows, it will most likely improve.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work and accelerate the pace of changes further.

A great place to be to advance your career

Little Bit of Everything (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe company stays current with the markets in our industry. New management seem to know what needs to be done to ensure we succeed as a company. I've personally been able to see and feel the difference of the new management that has been brought in. It's only hard until you figure out how to do it right.

ConsTemporary chaos with new launches and changes stemming from growth, long time employees need to be better able to accept change that is coming because it's going to be great. Management appears to come down with heavy hands, it's because they see something that needs to be addressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk more to the team members in other areas of the company, if for nothing else, for knowledge or information you may not be aware of but can help with your own departments growth. Don't let emotions get in the way of leading, know what you want before asking someone to work on a project for you. Genesis has a wealth of capable people with various skill sets and knowledge.

Worked for Genesis Today? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genesis Today reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genesis Today CEO Steve Brecher. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Genesis Today employees.