Genesis10 Reviews

Updated April 14, 2015
69 reviews filtered by
Genesis10 CEO Harley Lippman
Harley Lippman

Pros
  • The Genesis10 people are nice, but clueless (in 2 reviews)

• Able to work from home when necessary and very accommodating to family needs (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Not willing to go to bat for their employees with any HR violations occurring withing the company the employee is placed (in 2 reviews)

• Little to no concern for employees (in 2 reviews)

1. Great Place to Work and Good People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Genesis10 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Home grown right here in the USA
    -We help people get jobs!
    -No off-shore
    -Management has an open door policy
    -CEO is involved in each branch personally
    -If you're good and care about what you do there is opportunity for growth
    -Flexibility to make your own decisions at the local level

Cons

Every company has it's challenges, we're no different... It's always easy to focus on the negative, so I'll abstain and just focus on what keeps me coming into work every day. (the "Pros box")

Advice to Management

Continue to cultivate your internal talent. Listen to the ideas of all levels and invest in the talent and technology that will take us to the next level.

2. Gen 10 peers are great - Clients can be very unreasonable. Gen 10 management does not manage the client.

Former Contractor - Technical Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Genesis10 as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Gen 10 peers are very supportive., Some working remote is allowed, but they do not like employees to do so.

Cons

Inconsistent on-boarding processes. Lack of adequate training for some individuals. No idea of the true nature of the projects that may be assigned and whether it is a good fit for the TPM. Some of the client Managers treat contractors as scapegoats for their lack of leadership. One can inherit a project from the client that has no chance of being on schedule, yet the contractor is blamed. There is no push-back for scope creep, as the client dictates their version of scope. Expectations are unreasonable and TPMs must spend a lot of time documenting to CYA and it still may not make any difference. Benefits are not great. You get bank holidays and one week of leave to cover vacation or sick days. If you can tolerate the lack of clear direction, unreasonable expectations and the immature processes, you may be able to work there. It really can be a sweat shop due to the lack of support from those in charge. And they can let you go with no notice, but contractors must give three weeks notice. The work could be enjoyable if TPMs were allowed to push back and their expertise was valued by the client. Again, some areas may be better than others, but not enough to say the environment is healthy. It is a place to work if you think you really have no other options.

Advice to Management

Manage the client. Do not let them be the "risk" to the project with their unreasonable demands and lack of understanding of what constitutes scope creep per the PMI PMBOK. Do not allow them to hand off projects that are already at risk. Do not micromanage professionals, or do not hire people if you feel they require micromanagement. Better benefits and time off would offset the stressful environment, a little.

3. Great place to make a career

Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Genesis10 full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Genesis10 is understanding of work-life balance. Lot's of flexibility where and when I've needed it.
    - Compensation is not capped. As a top performers, I get paid top dollar.
    - I'm not treated like a number. Management understands who you are and has helped me through many difficult life situations throughout the years.
    - There are opportunities to grow up through the organization. Through my 10+ years, I've earned many promotions.
    - Company regularly donates $ and time to charitable events.

Cons

- Benefits are average but not great.
    - Some of the offices / buildings are a little outdated.

5. Only 6 months in and already I see the writing on the bathroom wall

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Genesis10 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Its a job
    If you are good at what you do and even better at building bridges then you can get close to a high-level client exec and then thumb your nose at the completely useless Gen 10 management. Hard work pays off when you know someone who can override the contract company.

Cons

It will be nothing more than a job, ever. The business model is bulk pricing which is very attractive to the client. The drawback is they have a PMO full of contract labor that Gen10 attempts to "manage" with very poor equipment. So, so benefits, The most ridiculous attendance policy as far as the Delivery Center goes and the lie of over time at an increased rate. Good luck getting that. You will definitely work overtime to make the client happy and to support your coworkers who are the only bright spot on this train wreck of a headache. Get paid for it? Negative. Also don't plan on coming anywhere near the Delivery Center at night. It is in an unpleasant part of town. Work late and need to walk out to your car? No, you don't . Sleep there. Want to work from home where you will get twice as much done on actual working monitors that are not from the turn of the century? Nope. They will quote contractual crap but if you check with the client manager, AVP's, VP's and evern P's ... They don't care so long as it gets done.
    It's unprofessional, the pay is below scale, the office is old and smelly. The cubes are left over from Inferno 77' the movie. The local management lives behind a locked door. There are cameras they will cite as reasons why you shouldn't be paid because you left an hour early Thursday even though you worked all weekend, every weekend. It just flat out stupid. Gig the sweatshop for while and then move on to an actual career with options.

Advice to Management

Advice to management? Hire some management and I'll be happy to advise them. The monkeys currently running around throwing poo at quality PM's are not Managers.. they're monkeys... and they throw poo. Ick

6. Good people, unstructured environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Genesis10

Pros

Management is approachable, good work-life balance

Cons

shaky leadership; unstructured environment where things are thrown at the wall and never stick. a little bit too much micromanaging.

7. Very flexible company

I have been working at Genesis10

Pros

Company is small, good to work with

Cons

Benefits are not that great.

8. Overall good

Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I worked at Genesis10

Pros

Good potential for a self starter and highly skilled recruiter.

Cons

Competitive and very little guidance for early career professionals.

Advice to Management

Implement training or internship programs.

Gen 10 -- great company to work for!

I worked at Genesis10

Pros

These people are pros! They do a great job of getting to know their consultants strengths, etc. and placing them in firms where they can flourish.

Cons

there are not cons i am aware of!

Dealt with some great people!

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Genesis10 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As in any company, it depends on who you are working with. My experience with the NY staff of Genesis10 was nothing but pleasant. They seemed to know what they're talking about, frequently explaining processes and timeframes in order to manage expectations.

Cons

Benefits are not that great.

It's a paycheck

Former Contractor - Technical Project Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Genesis10 as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay you every two weeks. The support staff at the delivery center are nice, but they are the upper managements strong arms. I don't think they enjoy this role but it is their job.

Cons

All good things come to an end....that goes for any "perks" we had at Gen10, like the option to purchase Short Term Disability, steady increase in cost of benefits and decrease in what benefits were offered, ability to work off site, Zero possibility for a pay raise. Low pay, minimal time off, no raises at all no matter how long your tenure. Unlike most contracting firms that are happy if the client is happy, this one micromanages every decision you make. Even though 95% of the banks IT employees and contractors could work remotely, Gen10 would not allow it and would take attendance daily. We used to receive cookies and a note on our birthdays, now you don't even get an email.

Advice to Management

Pay employees market value (ie - increase pay), reward employees with long tenures, loosing up on the work remote policy. A reminder, the employees are making the company lots of money, occasionally give them recognition.