Genesys

Genesys Reviews

Updated Mar 3, 2014

Genesys President and CEO Paul Segre

Paul Segre

Pros:
  • "Extremely team oriented company; people are open to change; love the work life balance"
    in 6 reviews
  • "A lot of great people to work with, and many opportunities to travel"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "The influence of Alcatel-Lucent while I was there was detrimental to the atmosphere of the team"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Daly City weather can be cold and foggy in otherwise pleasant Bay Area summer"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No mentoring and little done for employee advancement

I have been working at Genesys full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat market - competitive and still growing. Sales driven company. Flexible work hours. Believe family comes first.

ConsCompany strategy and vision not always shared with employees which can make your job difficult, upper management does not share decisions or are not always upfront which can make you feel uncertain with any decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare, educate and empower your employees.

Great People, tremendous market opportunity, so-so execution.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Genesys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery intelligent, passionate people. Fun work culture to be part of. Excellent pay, great travel opportunities, smart CEO. Now that they are not part of ALU, conditions should improve...eventually.

ConsThe fun culture also produces a lax culture in some respects. Development projects are routinely late. "Roadmaps" on products are years behind their original schedule and sales reps that haven't made their number in 2, 3 or even 4 years on occasion are still employed there. If you are in the "inner circle", you're golden. Gaining access, however, is extremely difficult and much more about who you're buddies with than what results you actually produce.

Advice to Senior ManagementShake it up! The best management teams always seem to be formed by a combination of internal promotion coupled with the infusion of new blood (read "new ideas") from the outside. Several very senior people are in what could only be described as "step up" roles (meaning they have never done a job at this level before). While this is OK in limited quantities, it seems to be ubiquitous at Genesys.

I am quite sure their new private equity owners will recognize this. While everyone hailed the "liberation" from ALU as the best thing ever, many are starting to learn that private equity owners are not a "charitable organization". They demand performance on a very aggressive timeline. They are also aggressively cutting "fat" out of the organization. Unfortunately at the speed with which they are doing it, some very good "muscle" is getting cut along with it.

The new culture of performance will leave Genesys struggling for stability for the next couple of years. Eventually (and hopefully) this will settle out and they will find their way and capitalize on the market opportunity in front of them. In the mean time, I urge caution. If you are thinking of working for a long standing senior manager, use caution. I expect many will not make the leap to hyperspace successfully!

Great benefits, good product. Great set of customers.

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Genesys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible schedule, mature colleagues. Good resources to work with.

ConsLocation. Organization may be too big.

Advice to Senior Managementless is more

mixed feelings :-(

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time

Pros- tons of smart people
- possibility to learn
- interesting projects can be found
- company has some growth momentum
- partial telecommute possible
- Open Time Off

Cons- poor career opportunities
- morale degrading without adequate salaries
- questionable HR policies to introduce Open Time Off (2-day notice, no vacation balance compensation)
- creative, while obviously the cheapest, team building approaches that do not work

Advice to Senior Managementstart paying your engineers market salary before morale is dead and before good specialists leave or get completely demotivated. it's demoralizing and insulting to hear 'why would I give you a raise, you are not leaving' from the top technical officer. you are facing a dead-end promising to hire crème de la crème (and pay accordingly) when the present talent is disgruntled with salaries and such a treatment from management.

Mid level Leadership needs attention

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genesys full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood People to work with technically and socially
Interesting technology
Tele work available
New product line is strating to gain momentum in the market place

Consemployee moral is low due to internal re-org taking much longer than expected. Current executives only giving lip service to CEO - not actually walking the talk.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that promotions are fair and given to thise qualified not those connected. There is too much of the ols Alcatel mentality still in the works.

Struggling to keep up with the Market

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Genesys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood people at the foundation

ConsUpper/Executive leadership lacks the correct attitude and strategy to excel in today's market; Older technology and a "not invented here" mentality in engineering

Becoming a fun place to work

I have been working at Genesys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork - life balance is very good
Culture and spirit is very high since split from ALU
Greater communication across the organization (tho still needs work)
leader in the market -always striving for better but nice to work from a place of strength

ConsNo options, etc - not good for a Silicon Valley company striving to become "iconic"
No real advancement opportunities - not good for a Silicon Valley company striving to become "iconic"
Perhaps HQ is a better place than other locations - need to work on bringing the geographies closer
Daly City is not a pleasant place to work - offices are ok; but the neighborhood, amenities and weather aren't

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closer at what is happening internally
Put more than lip service to the goal of becoming iconic; especially wrt employees rather than product

Best Place to be in the world. Best time to be at Genesys is now. Great things to come in the future

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Genesys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people!
Great culture and getting better!
Great support to focus on priorities
Great mission and vision
Excellent reputation in respective industry
Recognized as leaders in industry
Very smart people focused on doing whatever it takes to help customers

ConsNeed to do better job in defining clear and specific expectations for what success looks like in any given job
Need to improve on training, encouraging and rewarding good people managers
Internal communication needs to be improved
Need better 401k(US retiring program) benefits
Salaries not up to par with peer group

Advice to Senior ManagementOver communicate thru multi-channels. Validate that the intended message was received

Communicate more effectively

Communicate more efficiently

Open up opportunities to everyone to interview for new positions

Need better diversity in Executive Management team (CEO direct reports)

Better training to people managers on doing better job on managing people

Establish better career management programs and opportunities

Over communicate

Excellent place to learn the ins and outs of the contact center market.

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Genesys

ProsGreat technology; reputation in the market; smart people; travel opportunities.

ConsLower than average pay; interference from Alcatel-Lucent (though Genesys was recently sold to a private equity firm). Carear advancement ignores until resignation letter submitted.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure employees understand the long-term game plan. Provide clear overview of who competitors are, what makes Genesys unique, and provide more collaboration opportunities with sales.

Clueless Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Genesys

ProsGreat products, good sales force, loyal customers.
Some really great people work here
Flexibility with telecommuting for most positions

ConsManagement is clueless: poor people management, no recognition other than for engineering, no sense of the workload created or the long hours most folks are working.

Very insular management group - boys network. Promotions few and far between and definitely targeted to men.

Genesys has been absorbed into Alcatel-Lucent and this has caused it to lose it's soul as a fast-moving, category leading software company - totally bogged down in the big corporate morass.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the sacrifices people are making; recognize all achievements; try to maintain some of the software culture.

Worked for Genesys? Contribute to the Community!

Genesys Videos

Genesys – Why Work for Us?

Genesys helps companies engage effortlessly with their customers, across all touchpoints, channels and interactions to deliver differentiated customer journeys, while maximizing revenue and loyalty. Since our inception… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genesys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genesys CEO Paul Segre. All 91 reviews posted anonymously by Genesys employees.