Genesys

Updated November 21, 2014
4.5

Genesys President and CEO Paul Segre
Paul Segre

Pros
  • Extremely team oriented company; people are open to change; love the work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Easy going atmosphere, where people are always willing to help where they can (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The influence of Alcatel-Lucent while I was there was detrimental to the atmosphere of the team (in 11 reviews)

• Constant lay-offs which contribute to the work-life balance issue (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging, rewarding, and limitless potential!

Current Employee - Enterprise Architect
    Current Employee - Enterprise Architect

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As a fifteen year veteran, I appreciate the challenges of new innovation, new business goals, adapting to competitors and the marketplace, and being able to be part of a team that knows how to rise to the challenges experienced by both our customers and the software industry.

Cons

The grass is not greener on the other side - and cons are hard to find here. This is a company like any other that can and does make mistakes, but we correct them when they happen.

We are on the right track to continue to dominate the market. Keep up the aggressive M&A and do not stop until we have put a few competitors out of their pain.

Strong innovation Technology Company!

I have been working at Genesys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Open Vacation and Time Off benefit is a real perk! Genesys has many avenues for growth potential, via webinars and the GenEd program. Virtual opportunities! This company promotes from within and does not hinder creativity!

Cons

There is a lot going on within Genesys with so many changes happening all at once, sometimes it can feel a bit overwhelming.

2 years is not enough

I have been working at Genesys full-time

Pros

Crazy flexible hours, amazing vacation options. Relaxed environment.

Cons

Slow pay raises. Not likely to be promoted. Only way to climb up ladder at company is to leave and come back.

Empowering People

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Genesys listens to their employees. One employee survey revealed a need for training and personal growth. The company responded with an increase in number of trainings and webinars on personal growth..

Cons

Employees even on the same floor don't know one another and the fact that we occupy several floors attribute to some fragmentation. To balance this, the company has activities such as happy hours, bagel breakfasts which bring employees together.

Leaders should ask all levels of management to recognize and reward their employees once a year. This should be incorporated into their performance review. Review salaries of employees that have not had a salary increase/raise in several years.

Great place to work at!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, open time off, great benefits, great team to work with.

Cons

Need more participation and excitement from employees

Able to Make A Difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about Genesys is your ability to see your impact on the company. I have never worked with a more open leadership. I can go up to any of our leaders and make a suggestion. What's even crazier is, most of the time they say, "Sounds good, let's give it a shot." I've been able to do some of my best work, because leadership has given me the space to try new things.

Cons

There's a lot of change and some of the more tenured employees don't like it.

Keep up the good work and continue to push the open work space.

An exciting corporate lifecycle with growth-orientation and very humane senior management team

I have been working at Genesys full-time

Pros

-It's great to work for a company that is a recognized leader in its domain of expertise.
    -Company has always been very ethical and honorable in its dealings with customers and suppliers and justifiably takes pride in this.
    -Executive team is very capable and the speed of decision-making has ramped up considerably over the last several years.
    -Management has respect for work/life balance, for family and for involvement in the community. Many executives at other companies pay lip-service to these concepts, but at Genesys, they are really adhered to and valued.
    -compensation packages are pretty good, esp. given reasonable work-hour expectations.
    -Benefit packages are very good, certainly comparable to the better Silicon Valley companies

Cons

-It is not easy to move up in the company, esp. for more senior individual contributors
    -There are too many senior managers, disproportionate to the general worker population.
    -office location in Daly City isn't great, as compared to being in San Francisco or some other downtown area where there is more to do, more restaurants in walking distance, and open spaces to go to during lunch.

-consider re-balancing worker population to increase number of non-managers and individual contributors. Too many managers presently.
    -consider greater risk-taking. It often seems that senior management wants to avoid taking risks and play it safe, doing the same thing but better. Greatness doesn't come from playing it safe in technology. While the company should not take dumb risks, there is a lot to be said for taking more educated, well-reasoned risks.
    -Engineering, composed of smart and very capable people, often has a 'not invented here' attitude towards growth areas and needs to be less defensive in its views about what can and should be done.

Great opportunities to learn, grow, and advance

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cutting-edge cloud efforts make for a highly challenging 'start-up' context. Excellent place for initiative, particularly in engineering. Build a better smtp-trap, so to speak, and you will be recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Sometimes upper management waits too long to shift direction, call the shots, execute, but this doesn't really count as a con related to working here. Had to meet the twenty-word minimum.

Operations group needs better structure. Cloud engineering should drink the DevOps cool-aid. HQ location is a drag.

My contribution is valued

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Genesys full-time

Pros

People really seem to care about each other and their team. Striving to be the leader in the industry, which is great because I want to be at a company that is at the top. Also a good work life balance and benefits that really make sense, open time off policy is nice. It is a decent sized company but not so big that you feel like a number. It seems like everyone gets a chance to contribute and be recognized. You also get to work with people all over the world. Lots of work being done to add educational opportunities and chances to contribute in a social way, like food drives and volunteering.

Cons

You need to be able to work with people who aren't in your office, since you work with so many people who are remote or in different offices around the country or around the globe. I have found that they do a good job of making everyone feel connected and feel integrated in the team even if they are spread out.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Executive in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company culture is very special. People are very passionate about customer service, customer experience, and contact center. Good teamwork and focus on customer success. People stay because they love it here. Most people I've seen leave the company have regretted it.

Cons

Overall no real cons. Occasionally you have some politics, some disagreements but much less then any other similar-sized tech company.