Genesys

Updated January 22, 2015
4.3

Genesys President and CEO Paul Segre
Paul Segre

Pros
  • Extremely team oriented company; people are open to change; love the work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Easy going atmosphere, where people are always willing to help where they can (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • That problem was orders of magnitude worse when dealing with supposed peers within Alcatel-Lucent (in 12 reviews)

• home offices and satelite offices can seem quite disconnected from head office in Daly City (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Able to Make A Difference

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Genesys is your ability to see your impact on the company. I have never worked with a more open leadership. I can go up to any of our leaders and make a suggestion. What's even crazier is, most of the time they say, "Sounds good, let's give it a shot." I've been able to do some of my best work, because leadership has given me the space to try new things.

Cons

There's a lot of change and some of the more tenured employees don't like it.

Keep up the good work and continue to push the open work space.

Dec 8, 2014HR Representative

Thanks for taking the time to post and for your great feedback. One of our core values is to innovate in all we do and we appreciate you mentioning the receptiveness at all levels to new ideas. As ... More

Good work/life balance but don't expect much compensation

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company, good people, good work life balance and a strong future.

Cons

Expect to be paid 20% under market value for your work. Raises are often delayed and are always very small even with promotions. If you want to earn what you're worth you need to leave for a few years to get a real salary and then return so that Genesys will match it. (many do this)

Dec 20, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Thanks for writing. I agree with you on the positives. People do leave and come back occasionally, but in my experience it's usually because they realized the grass wasn't greener on the other side ... More

Great product but thats the end of it

I have been working at Genesys

Pros

Great product on the on premise end. If you work under a good manager you can learn alot.

Cons

1. If you do not speak Russian you are doomed. Everyone just speaks in Russian and have no regard for the non-Russian speaking colleagues. For crying out loud I was at a dinner table with the CTO and he was speaking in Russian. Total disregard!
    2. Pathetic management with no vision and directions. Priorities change every week and do not get communicated to everyone.
    3. Alot of politics. With the acquisitions of so many companies in the past 18 months, the cloud business has become a true "House of Cards". No one gets along with the other teams and everyone has inflated egos.
    4. Genesys has no clue how to run a Cloud business. Genesys has never been a cloud business but still dictates all decisions around it. Also, if you are not from legacy Genesys or Russian he doesn't care however good you are.
    5. Fake reviews. From the reviews it is obvious that there is a massive HR campaign to improve their online image. HR claims they are individual opinions but do you seriously buy that. Will a HR employee actually add an honest review on Glassdoor? Will senior management really speak the truth? This was all orchestrated to attract talent into the company.
    6. Mediocre office and located in Daly City! Working in the Engineering space is DEPRESSING!!! Chairs are flimsy, cheap monitors, horrendous phones and closed work spaces. The Chantilly and Somerville offices are great but working in Daly City is depressing.
    7. Short term focus for IPO or sell out.
    8. Constant layoffs. Seriously your job is not secured here.
    9. Below market pay.

Increase communication to employees.
    Genesys cannot run the cloud business.
    Ban speaking Russian in your hallways and meetings. Like seriously please!!!!

Dec 20, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Genesys is a very diverse, global company. You will hear many languages on a walk around our headquarters; Russian, French, Spanish and Portuguese to name a few. As our original founders were ... More

changes upon changes but true to its original spirit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Against all odds managed to preserve some of its original start up spirit. When it got closer to Alcatel it deteriorated but when acquired by a PE fund it certainly improved. Fast growth due acquisitions which has strengthen its market leadership position.

Cons

With so many acquisitions it got a little unsettled and (understandably) lost that small company feeling.
    Reasonable benefits but salaries below average. Unlimited time off is a minus, not a plus.

Need to clarify future growth strategy. Better position to sell more to current customers than to go down market to get ever smaller customers

Great place to work at!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, open time off, great benefits, great team to work with.

Cons

Need more participation and excitement from employees

Positive company, great people, going places

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great corporate culture with a buzz of energy.
    Intelligent people to work with who share common goals.
    Very accommodating to your career aspirations.

Cons

Office location in Daly (fog) City with few restaurants and lunch spots.

Nov 10, 2014HR Representative

Thanks for the great feedback and we agree on you about the awesome energy that epitomizes Genesys culture!

The lunch choices are limited-we might have to add “Must love Subway, Round Table
    ... More

2 years is not enough

I have been working at Genesys full-time

Pros

Crazy flexible hours, amazing vacation options. Relaxed environment.

Cons

Slow pay raises. Not likely to be promoted. Only way to climb up ladder at company is to leave and come back.

Dec 20, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Thanks for writing. I agree the flexibility on work hours and time off is a great benefit. As I mentioned in another response, it is my experience that people leave and come back because they realize ... More

Small company within a bigger company within a bigger company

I worked at Genesys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Please note that the group whom I worked for was an acquisition by Genesys, which at the time was itself an acquisition by Alcatel-Lucent. As such, my experience is likely different than someone working in Daly City proper.

Our smaller group was fairly stand-alone, having its own product line and to some degree its own autonomy, apart from having to interconnect with the Genesys platform. Within that group there was a lot of emphasis on utilizing current technology, as well as strong teamwork within the organization as a whole (with the notable exception of Sales).

Benefits were reasonably good, and the salary was competitive.

Cons

Looking outside of our group into Genesys itself one always had the feeling of being a bit of a stepchild, part of which was due to not being located in Daly City. That problem was orders of magnitude worse when dealing with supposed peers within Alcatel-Lucent. On a corporate level, one got the impression that ALU wasn't even aware that they were selling software products. From what I understand, shortly after I left ALU sold most of its software devision (or at least Genesys) to a VC firm, so hopefully that negative aspect has been eliminated.

Nov 3, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Thanks for writing. It sounds like your acquisition experience may have been a little while ago, as Genesys became independent from ALU in January of 2012. Most of the issues you raise will have been ... More

My contribution is valued

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Genesys full-time

Pros

People really seem to care about each other and their team. Striving to be the leader in the industry, which is great because I want to be at a company that is at the top. Also a good work life balance and benefits that really make sense, open time off policy is nice. It is a decent sized company but not so big that you feel like a number. It seems like everyone gets a chance to contribute and be recognized. You also get to work with people all over the world. Lots of work being done to add educational opportunities and chances to contribute in a social way, like food drives and volunteering.

Cons

You need to be able to work with people who aren't in your office, since you work with so many people who are remote or in different offices around the country or around the globe. I have found that they do a good job of making everyone feel connected and feel integrated in the team even if they are spread out.

10+ years and this is still a great company!

Current Employee - Product and Marketing in Daily, ND
    Current Employee - Product and Marketing in Daily, ND

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Genesys is a very innovative company. The CEO is passionate about the company, employee's and solutions. The technology is light years ahead of the competition and Genesys is well positioned to continue to stay as a market leader. Genesys offers many options for career advancement and promotions. It can take time, but it will happen if you put in the effort and stay focused on execution.

Cons

Internal processes can be a little challenging. Many have improved since divesting from Alcatel, but still some remain. Focus can also be a challenge for employees. Balancing short and long term objectives, which can change dynamically can be difficult, but not unusual for a fast growing market leader.

Genesys has a great leadership team and they know what they are doing. They are very aware of our strengths and weaknesses and our CEO is the right leader to continue our great execution. Stay the course, focus on execution and always remember this is a team effort. So many people make so many personal sacrifices to make Genesys a great company. People need to be recognized at every level and frequently that their effort count and are visible. Take a little more time to remind people they are visible. It's amazing what a hallway conversation, quick phone call or e-mail can mean to a hard working employee.

Oct 30, 2014

Great to hear this positive feedback from a Genesys veteran! We agree, we are lucky to have such a dynamic CEO who recognizes that employees are critical to our success. Having said that, we are ... More