Genesys

Updated February 24, 2015
4.2

Genesys President and CEO Paul Segre
Paul Segre

Pros
  • Extremely team oriented company; people are open to change; love the work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Easy going atmosphere, where people are always willing to help where they can (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • That problem was orders of magnitude worse when dealing with supposed peers within Alcatel-Lucent (in 12 reviews)

• home offices and satelite offices can seem quite disconnected from head office in Daly City (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

69 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

A satisfying place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is very intelligent. It makes you feel good. People are all very sociable as well which means you can get a handshake and a smile every 5 steps around the office. Hours are flexible, time in the office is flexible, PTO is flexible making it much easier to start a family or work on side projects and hobbies. My direct management team is great to work with and we look out for each other.

Cons

Minor inconvenience of working with worldwide teams and customers at late or early hours (and mutually them with us).

Great Experience

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Finance in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Freedom and trust to do your job, great work environment, committed management.
    Would recommend highly to a job seeker.

Cons

The company is very entrepreneurial. not a bad thing but, you need to roll up your sleeves.

I love working here. The culture is great.

Current Employee - Marketing in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys

Pros

Fun and supportive people to work with.

Cons

Slow promotion and paid raise is low.

The team makes all the difference

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A company on current and dynamic expansion.
    Flexible work schedule and telecommute options
    A little heavy on the projects side while resources are not available fast enough.
    If you work with a team that helps each other, you accomplish your goals. I'm fortunate to be in one such team.

Cons

It's getting a bit heavy on the projects demand list while resources have not been alloted to them.

Truly One of the Top 50 Places to Work

Current Employee - Sales in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My fellow employees have such a passion about Genesys and the customer experience space, it is truly inspiring. The work life balance is good. The owners and executive team have the right balance between short-term and long-term objectives. We have made huge investments the last years into everything from R&D to Services to Marketing to Sales. People genuinely care about our customers, our partners, and their fellow employees. Paul Segre is a great CEO.

Cons

A lot of change has occurred the last 3 years and it will continue to occur so if yo du like change, Genesys might not be the place for you.

Keep up what you are doing!

marketing

Current Employee - Marketing in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Genesys is a great place to work

Cons

not a lot to say for cons

The company has a group of very talented people and a great product for Customer Experience.

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Office culture is great: no need to work controlled by a time-clock.
    Time off policies are open: you simply need to discuss them with your manager.
    There is a "work hard, play hard" type of culture, so it is a great place to work for self-motivated folks.

Cons

Company was bought by private equity investors and since then tolerance to both employees and customers have changed (reduced).
    Personal growth is limited: you need to build a strong network of internal allies to be able to internally grow in the organization.

I would recommend be more customer-centric, reaching out to main or top customers.

Jan 20, 2015SVP, Human Resources

Thank you for posting and for your many positive comments. Regarding your comment about our investors, I have worked for companies financed by private equity firms in the past, and I am pleased to ... More

Positive Work Environment, New Technology, "Practical" Location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Daly City, CA

I have been working at Genesys full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Generally filled with sweet, down-to-earth, and relaxed - yet very smart people
    - Interesting new technology; high-tech
    - Truly a global firm
    - Open-door policy with management
    - Managers do not micro manage - you are given much flexibility to finish your tasks at a high caliber
    - Relatively flexible hours
    - Free parking
    - 5 minute walk from BART
    - High potential for the company to go public in the near future

Cons

- Though it is a very "practical" location, there is not much going on with entertainment & food at the Daly City location other than a movie theatre and Subway (but drive 5 minutes and you'll find plenty of restaurants & places to run errands)
    - A few mixed messages from the executive team
    - No communication relayed from the board

- Would like to hear at least some communication from the board & equity firm owners/decision makers. Currently there is none.
    - If salary increase is not an option, then incentivize with larger bonus and stock potential
    - Company provided lunch for employees everyday - your employees will not loose time/efficiency traveling around for a decent lunch and will be in a more collaborative environment with employees and managers. Some of the best business decisions get made over meals. Big players in the tech industry do this already and find the results to be positive and profitable in the long term.
    - Don't just tackle the large and medium end of the market - aim for the small companies/ small customers and develop a plan to be profitable in that segment
    - Market the firm to be better acknowledged in the enterprise space - i.e. be known along the Oracle's and Cisco's of the world. Even though many millions of global consumers have directly or indirectly dealt with Genesys products at some point, few people outside of the tech world even know that Genesys exists, let alone what Genesys is and/or does.

Dec 5, 2014SVP, Human Resources

Thanks for your thoughtful comments. Of course, I agree with you on the positives! People here really are nice, and although that shouldn't be unusual, it is. On the constructive side, you raise some ... More

Worked as a Contractor for over 2 years

Former Contractor - Solutions Architect in Daly City, CA
    Former Contractor - Solutions Architect in Daly City, CA

I worked at Genesys as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I was at Genesys as a Contractor for over 2 years. I must I personally enjoyed my time there. But what I saw and my discussions with other Engineers there (which my review is based upon) doesn't reflect an overall positive experience.

Pros:
    Product Line: This company has a very good product line that are high in demand. As a result, the company is stable.

Upper management: They make good decisions to keep the company and it's products competitive.

Flexibility: Flexible hours.

Cons

Middle Management:
    The Middle managers here are the kind when they see someone in the hallways, they pretend not to know you or don't want to say even "hello" to you. They beckon to their employees with inverted fingers. They safeguard their own interests and take credit for what their team has done in front of senior Managers. "I did it" is the name of their game. Most of the Managers here have risen to their positions within the company without any training or previous experience and this shows in their conduct of business.

Layoffs - Layoffs are frequent and at times done in a demeaning way to those being laid off. This is to inculcate a fear psychosis in the remaining employees.

Career Growth - One can simply forget about career growth. True there are those who have risen within the company. But they account to less 5% of the total Genesys workforce.

Open Time Off - The company has a OTO policy. This gives employees only the minimum time-off as required by law. If the employee is to take in addition to this, it comes at the discretion of the Manager. And most of the time a request for OTO is a "No" and the reason for that is almost always a team is striving to meet deadlines.

Jan 20, 2015SVP, Human Resources

We are happy to hear your own experience with us was positive, and agree that our products are excellent. While we encourage feedback, we feel it is best given first-hand. Many of your points don’t ... More

Able to Make A Difference

I have been working at Genesys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Genesys is your ability to see your impact on the company. I have never worked with a more open leadership. I can go up to any of our leaders and make a suggestion. What's even crazier is, most of the time they say, "Sounds good, let's give it a shot." I've been able to do some of my best work, because leadership has given me the space to try new things.

Cons

There's a lot of change and some of the more tenured employees don't like it.

Keep up the good work and continue to push the open work space.

Dec 8, 2014HR Representative

Thanks for taking the time to post and for your great feedback. One of our core values is to innovate in all we do and we appreciate you mentioning the receptiveness at all levels to new ideas. As ... More