Genetec

www.genetec.com

Genetec Reviews

Updated Jun 15, 2014
Genetec – Canada – “Game room”

Pierre Racz

BEST COMPANY EVER. Most ethical people in the industry

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsEthics, Technology, Great small company environment. Lots of smart people with experience in the industry. Management is supportive.

ConsHeadquartered out of montreal, makes remote operations feel disconnected from day to day operations.

Stressless and well managed

Systems Support, QA Group (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsVery good people at working levels,
    Company is word leader in his industry,
    Right strategies and plan in place to grow in areas of focus.

Conssome slow processes leading to internal inneficiency

Intern Technical Support

Support Engineer Intern (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGrowing company, good ambiance with a gym room in, lot of interesting projects, mix of computer software,ip networking, hardware troubleshooting

ConsNothing much. If you love Microsoft softwares you will like it

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great employer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsCulture is great: technical, yet people don't work unpaid overtime. Management is functional. Up-to-date development tools, fast machines, multiple monitors, real offices (not open-space like so many companies). Pay is good.

ConsLocation is remote, poor schedule planning, having a well-defined development process and good coding practices is still WIP.

Great place to develop a career

Software Developer (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsAmazing technologies, fun atmosphere. Excellent challenging projects. Proper software development life cycle. Will learn something everyday. Great team of people. Relax work atmosphere. Subsidized private bistro for lunches. Private gym with personal trainer service. Daily fruit basket. "No cubicle" office policy. Vast majority of employees share an office with one other and most offices have a window. Perfect place to start a career as you will learn so much.

ConsVery little opportunity to progress in career. Too many developers in a flat style hierarchy. Managers have great dialogue with subordinates but do very little with the feedback. Same circle of people being promoted. Air of secrecy for information and decisions that could be shared for overall employee goals and objectives. Decisions for promotions are "back room" conversations and no definitive answers are given.

Project pace is extremely high. Key members of the team doing large portion of the work. No disciplinary actions taken for employees routinely missing their objectives.

There's a major divide that didn't exist before between sales and engineering. Sales promises things that engineering can't possibly deliver in the promised time frame. No one is looking at the big picture. Employees and customers are suffering.

Remote location hard to access by public transportation. Bus "comes" every 30 minutes or so but is often late or doesn't arrive at all.

Salaries are not competitive given market value and are not adjusted for growth in career.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge your stars. Be more open about communications. Be more transparent. Create career plans for employees and listen to feedback.

Plan out projects and deadlines with realistic goals. Don't oversell products that are not available.

HR needs to be more active with current employees and have a more active role in their well-being. Too much effort is spent on recruitment but many employees have issues that need addressing. Departments are more or less left to manage their employees any way they wish even if that contradicts the goals of HR. This has to be changed to create a more unified experience company wide.

Overall a great place to work

ProsGood compensation and bonus structure
    Friendly people and a good work environment
    Generous CEO that seems to care about his people (very rare thing)
    Great perks and subsidized cafeteria

ConsAll departments overloaded with work and usually understaffed. But they do compensate you for it. Many companies have a crazy workload and don't compensate you so it's your choice.

Advice to Senior ManagementA good idea is a good idea no matter where it comes from, oldest veteran or newest intern. be willing to listen to new ways of doing things.

Disappointed of the changes that is going on to the company

Software Developer (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat place and good environment

ConsNot organized, more than half of the team quit or moved to another team.
    After 3 internships of doing the exact work of a full time employee, the company never hired back for a return internship. Which shows that they never appreciate their former former employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire management need to know of what's going on. One day all those changes will affect on the company.

You are expected to love the company

ProsOk on site resto. Some nice folks in the hall ways. Located in a clean area of Montreal.

ConsVery cliqueish. Plenty of incompetence by some people.

Software developer

(Former Employee)

ProsVery interesting projects, lots of people to help you learn. Very nice social environnement and good compensation.
    Like the flexible schedule

ConsNot much to say. Physical location makes transportation hard during rush hour, but easily avoided with the flexible schedule

Life is Good

ProsGood benefits, flexible schedule, awesome teams

Consbeing a big company, things might go a bit slow, but that happens to everyone.

Worked for Genetec? Contribute to the Community!