Genghis Grill

Add Photos

Al Bhakta

Great Company

Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsYoung and vibrant corporate staff. Always find time to have fun after the work is done.

ConsSometimes they go backwards to go forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake and consider opinions from those operating stores before changing things only to reverse the change 6 months later.

Server

Server (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsEasy work. Can potentially get paid really well for just getting drink orders and bringing bowls to tables. The food is pretty good. Fun environment with coworkers and managers.

ConsThere is potential of NOT getting paid well. A lot of people believe that they shouldn't tip someone who just gets their drink orders, no matter how hard they work. Our owner was a jerk and very unapproachable.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate should investigate into their franchises and get a feel on how the owners treat their employees. When the owners have no respect for their employees, then the employees will have no respect for what they do.

Bartender/Server

Server, Trainer, Bartender (Current Employee) Wichita Falls, TX

ProsIts a great job with great opportunities.

ConsBeing around food all of the time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Could utilize "employee satisfaction" and "how to effectively manage in 2014" classes/refreshers.

"Warrior" (Server/Bartender) (Former Employee) Lakewood, CO

Pros-building great friendships with co-workers
    -fun food and drinks
    -the ability to bring cash home nightly
    -customers generally are thrilled with the concept
    -great place for kids, fun

Cons-employer does not post federally mandated and required Department of Labor posters (i.e. Wages & Hours, Workplace Safety & Health, Workers' Compensation, Employee Benefits, Unions & Their Members, Employee Protection, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, Employee Polygraph Protection Act, Garnishment of Wages, The Family and Medical Leave Act, Veterans' Preference, Government Contracts, Grants, or Financial Aid, Migrant & Seasonal Agricultural Workers, etc.)
    -inability to cooperatively or collaboratively work with/under management
    -poor hiring choices made in regards to management
    -unethical and immoral behaviors from an employer
    -no open door policy
    -vindictive decisions made by management
    -lacks general employee satisfaction and management 101 "know how"
    -significantly worse employee retention vs. other food industry locations
    -no professional development for employees

Advice to Senior Management-It is 2014, and the workplace is changing rapidly. It is imperative for a company/franchise to ensure or work tirelessly towards employee satisfaction.
    -social media is being used by many employees, prospective employees, and customers for research, disclosure, information, "the inside scoop".
    -If a company makes efforts to utilize social media for generating and retaining business, that same company should utilize that same social media to take notice that overall employee dissatisfaction by current and former employees is running rampant.
    -There are so many companies today that make employee satisfaction a high priority; every other company out there must keep up.

feedback...

"The unethical/immoral actions and unprofessional behaviors by management, procedures surrounding communication style with employees, vindictive behaviors, intentionally setting employees up for failure to falsely redirect accountability or responsibility for a shortcoming off of management and onto an unassuming employee, scheduling, pay, short and long term focuses on goals and expectations, an overall lack of maturity and work/management experience on management's part, management's inability to build and nurture healthy professional relationships, a complete disregard for employee retention, zero effort put forth by management to encourage and breed “buy in,” and an attitude of “that’s the nature of this business,” are the topics to be considered. It is not the “nature of this business.”

"Honesty, accountability, attention to detail, ability to determine employee motivation and empathize, empowering others, time management, buy in, customer obsession, ownership, innovation, simplification, strong business judgment, organization, raising the performance bar by way of example and effective coaching, thinking big/long-term, calculated risk taking and possessing a bias for action, frugality, earning trust of others by examining personal convictions with humility, acknowledging and proving that no task is beneath them, the ability to facilitate social cohesion amongst their TEAM, determination, commitment, and delivering results in a timely and quality fashion; these are the qualities that should be sought after in management, as well as business acumen and experience with proven results and production. These are the qualities that inspire employees, and an inspired and empowered employee can only HELP a business, not HURT a business. The qualities exemplified most by management are self-fulfillment and self-preservation with an inability to be self critical in an effort to earn trust and improve. There is always room for improvement."

Management does not embody this mindset or methodology.

FUN AND DYNAMIC COMPANY!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGenghis Grill is a fun, dynamic work environment for young professionals eager to learn in a fast paced work environment. I always lived by the motto work hard, play hard. This is a young brand, growing very fast so you have to be OK working hard and changing courses as the company sees fit. You will be pushed to step out side of your comfort zone, and help out in many areas when help is needed. Genghis Grill has a thriving culture that I have never experienced anywhere else. I was treated as family, and left with some incredible friends.

I had such an amazing experience working for Genghis Grill and have truly taken away some amazing memories, not to mention an incredible education. I was given many opportunities that have helped me advance in my career and show them what I was made of. Go in with an open mind, and focus not only on your personal goals but on the over all goal for the brand and you will reap the benefits!

ConsAs stated previously, this is a young and growing brand so be prepared to think outside the box and work very hard. There is a certain amount of stress that can come with the heavy work load, but that's to be said about any great opportunity or company!

Okay

Server/Waitress (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSome managers were good, coworkers were ok, customers were usually really nice especially the regulars. Work during the holiday season was really good. getting cash tips.

ConsHigh turnover rate of managers, I would start of with a decent manager and then it would usually get worse. A lot of managers didn't seem to care as long as they looked good to upper management. the computers, they don't let you log in early w/o management approval nor will it let you record any tips less than 10%.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites, try to care at least a little bit about your employees because then they will care too.

Fabulous!

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat management and wonderful staff. I really enjoyed my time at Genghis Grill.

ConsI can't think of any cons - I really enjoyed my time there.

Great Coworkers but Horribly Run

Server (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe coworkers were great. They were supportive and nice and we all looked out for each other. Having served at other restaurants, this was also the easiest serving job by far I've had.

ConsI worked there for almost two years and every shift was beyond stressful for reasons that could easily be fixed. We would run out of silverware and dishes and we were always understaffed. Managers would hide in the back rather than helping. If they didn't like an employee, management would schedule you fewer and fewer days instead of talking to you. There were also surveys guests can take to talk about their experience. If a server got less than 100% on a survey, they got in trouble and the survey was posted so that everyone could see. More than half the survey was about the cooks and hosts and the manager though so it didn't reflect only the server even though the server took all the blame.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hide in the back. If the employees appear to be making mistakes, invest time in the guests and talks to employees to try to fix problems.

A nightmare!

Food Service (Former Employee) Frisco, TX

ProsEmployees were fun to work with.

ConsPoor management skills, limited knowledge,needs cleaning.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs training in people skills.

Don't Do it

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Sandy Springs, Fulton, GA

ProsThere really no pros to this job. A free meal, but the food is lackluster.

ConsGlorified Grill Master, no decision making, impossible to hit bonuses, lied to in interview, high target for retaliation by employees

Worked for Genghis Grill? Contribute to the Community!