Genghis Grill

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
2.8

Al Bhakta

Great customer service, overall management, not so much.

Current Employee - Server/Grillmaster  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Server/Grillmaster in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Genghis Grill part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the coworkers and I feel embraced by the people. There is VERY rarely any drama with the staff and is a great place to gain early experience in the restaurant business whether you want to be a cook or a server.

Cons

I am located in a small store and because of the location, it is hard to spot which means less business. There are also some serious things that the managers should be pursuing but aren't that could seriously boost business and in fact hurts the business as well. Business is so low that we now have one employee less per shift than the previous year.

Pick up the pace and actually work on these problems. Focus on deadlines, particularly with permits. The restaurant can't afford to decline any more.

People are Expendable

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Tallahassee, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Genghis Grill part-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved the camaraderie between all of the Hostesses, Servers and the Bartenders. Everyone watched out for one another, and everyone was willing to help.

Cons

The manager was on a major power-trip. He refused to hire on another Bartender when we desperately needed one, and because of this I was never allowed time off. Sometimes he would even schedule me during my classes!

Care about your employees. They are the driving force behind upsales and returning customers.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Server  in  Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Server in Wichita, KS

I worked at Genghis Grill part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, management was understanding most of the time. Quick to resolve problems.

Cons

Some favoritism by certain supervisors.

Fun place to work. Please reconsider the design of your uniform.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Former Employee - Manager  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Genghis Grill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Young and vibrant corporate staff. Always find time to have fun after the work is done.

Cons

Sometimes they go backwards to go forward.

Take and consider opinions from those operating stores before changing things only to reverse the change 6 months later.

Server

Former Employee - Server  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Genghis Grill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy work. Can potentially get paid really well for just getting drink orders and bringing bowls to tables. The food is pretty good. Fun environment with coworkers and managers.

Cons

There is potential of NOT getting paid well. A lot of people believe that they shouldn't tip someone who just gets their drink orders, no matter how hard they work. Our owner was a jerk and very unapproachable.

Corporate should investigate into their franchises and get a feel on how the owners treat their employees. When the owners have no respect for their employees, then the employees will have no respect for what they do.

Bartender/Server

Current Employee - Server, Trainer, Bartender  in  Wichita Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Server, Trainer, Bartender in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Genghis Grill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Its a great job with great opportunities.

Cons

Being around food all of the time.

Could utilize "employee satisfaction" and "how to effectively manage in 2014" classes/refreshers.

Former Employee - "Warrior" (Server/Bartender)  in  Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - "Warrior" (Server/Bartender) in Lakewood, CO

I worked at Genghis Grill full-time for less than a year

Pros

-building great friendships with co-workers
    -fun food and drinks
    -the ability to bring cash home nightly
    -customers generally are thrilled with the concept
    -great place for kids, fun

Cons

-employer does not post federally mandated and required Department of Labor posters (i.e. Wages & Hours, Workplace Safety & Health, Workers' Compensation, Employee Benefits, Unions & Their Members, Employee Protection, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act, Employee Polygraph Protection Act, Garnishment of Wages, The Family and Medical Leave Act, Veterans' Preference, Government Contracts, Grants, or Financial Aid, Migrant & Seasonal Agricultural Workers, etc.)
    -inability to cooperatively or collaboratively work with/under management
    -poor hiring choices made in regards to management
    -unethical and immoral behaviors from an employer
    -no open door policy
    -vindictive decisions made by management
    -lacks general employee satisfaction and management 101 "know how"
    -significantly worse employee retention vs. other food industry locations
    -no professional development for employees

-It is 2014, and the workplace is changing rapidly. It is imperative for a company/franchise to ensure or work tirelessly towards employee satisfaction.
    -social media is being used by many employees, prospective employees, and customers for research, disclosure, information, "the inside scoop".
    -If a company makes efforts to utilize social media for generating and retaining business, that same company should utilize that same social media to take notice that overall employee dissatisfaction by current and former employees is running rampant.
    -There are so many companies today that make employee satisfaction a high priority; every other company out there must keep up.

feedback...

"The unethical/immoral actions and unprofessional behaviors by management, procedures surrounding communication style with employees, vindictive behaviors, intentionally setting employees up for failure to falsely redirect accountability or responsibility for a shortcoming off of management and onto an unassuming employee, scheduling, pay, short and long term focuses on goals and expectations, an overall lack of maturity and work/management experience on management's part, management's inability to build and nurture healthy professional relationships, a complete disregard for employee retention, zero effort put forth by management to encourage and breed “buy in,” and an attitude of “that’s the nature of this business,” are the topics to be considered. It is not the “nature of this business.”

"Honesty, accountability, attention to detail, ability to determine employee motivation and empathize, empowering others, time management, buy in, customer obsession, ownership, innovation, simplification, strong business judgment, organization, raising the performance bar by way of example and effective coaching, thinking big/long-term, calculated risk taking and possessing a bias for action, frugality, earning trust of others by examining personal convictions with humility, acknowledging and proving that no task is beneath them, the ability to facilitate social cohesion amongst their TEAM, determination, commitment, and delivering results in a timely and quality fashion; these are the qualities that should be sought after in management, as well as business acumen and experience with proven results and production. These are the qualities that inspire employees, and an inspired and empowered employee can only HELP a business, not HURT a business. The qualities exemplified most by management are self-fulfillment and self-preservation with an inability to be self critical in an effort to earn trust and improve. There is always room for improvement."

Management does not embody this mindset or methodology.

FUN AND DYNAMIC COMPANY!

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Genghis Grill full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Genghis Grill is a fun, dynamic work environment for young professionals eager to learn in a fast paced work environment. I always lived by the motto work hard, play hard. This is a young brand, growing very fast so you have to be OK working hard and changing courses as the company sees fit. You will be pushed to step out side of your comfort zone, and help out in many areas when help is needed. Genghis Grill has a thriving culture that I have never experienced anywhere else. I was treated as family, and left with some incredible friends.

I had such an amazing experience working for Genghis Grill and have truly taken away some amazing memories, not to mention an incredible education. I was given many opportunities that have helped me advance in my career and show them what I was made of. Go in with an open mind, and focus not only on your personal goals but on the over all goal for the brand and you will reap the benefits!

Cons

As stated previously, this is a young and growing brand so be prepared to think outside the box and work very hard. There is a certain amount of stress that can come with the heavy work load, but that's to be said about any great opportunity or company!

Okay

Former Employee - Server/Waitress  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Server/Waitress in Dallas, TX

I worked at Genghis Grill part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some managers were good, coworkers were ok, customers were usually really nice especially the regulars. Work during the holiday season was really good. getting cash tips.

Cons

High turnover rate of managers, I would start of with a decent manager and then it would usually get worse. A lot of managers didn't seem to care as long as they looked good to upper management. the computers, they don't let you log in early w/o management approval nor will it let you record any tips less than 10%.

Don't play favorites, try to care at least a little bit about your employees because then they will care too.

Fabulous!

Former Employee - Shift Manager  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Genghis Grill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great management and wonderful staff. I really enjoyed my time at Genghis Grill.

Cons

I can't think of any cons - I really enjoyed my time there.

Worked for Genghis Grill? Contribute to the Community!