Genivar

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pierre Shoiry

Great Experience. Very helpful and provided challenging tasks.

Engineer-In-Training (Former Employee) Kingston, ON (Canada)

ProsGood experience and coworkers were very friendly and helpful.

ConsSmall office - not much opportunity to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe provide more training. Was thrown into it.

Just about as gutless and soulless as every other consulting firm

Draftsperson (Former Employee) Thunder Bay, ON (Canada)

Pros-learning opportunities
    -exposure to large-scale industrial projects with international clients

Cons-not much opportunity for advancement
    -expectation that you will put your work before everything else in your life
    -management too close to retirement to care much about anything
    -management will seemingly turn a blind eye to any generally awful, completely inappropriate, and unprofessional staff member as long as the staff member in question has two or more certifications
    -a general sense of being just a cog the machine that comes from working for a big umbrella company such as Genivar, who bought up all the small independent engineering firms they could in Canada
    -personally witnessed a manager that would insult and belittle an older individual constantly in front of clients and regular office staff

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, as Genivar's now been bought out by WPS Group, I want to hope that changes have been made, especially in management (speaking specifically of the management out of the local office in which I was employed). I wouldn't bet on it, though.

young dynamic environement, but clearly a sweat shop

IT Architect (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Prosnot that many procedures, you can deliver within agressive dates

Consa lot of overtime required, but not paid. Difficuly, if not impossible, to go on vacation and disconnect from the office.

Advice to Senior Managementimplement a closer review of the objectives and align them across the company. Allow human ressources to do their job and improve personnel retention.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at Genivar

Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsProfitable in Industry when Others are not. Strong business strategy for growth potential

ConsLots of people from companies that were acquired and haven't made the transition .. Unhappy and blame Genivar instead of their previous owner who sold them.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview total benefits to sure competitiveness

Challenging and INteresting Work ... Strong Executive Team

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsFair and Equitable, follow their values, growth oriented, entrepreneurial, good career opportunities, some very strong executives, dynamic and constantly changing and strengthening

ConsAverage benefits plan, don't always deal with the complainers in the group soon enough

Advice to Senior Managementtake some of the earnings and invest in employees' benefits (salaries, RRSP matching, bonuses)

Offered Potential and high hopes; failed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and shares and RRSP, work can be diverse, Nice co-workers

ConsMicromanaged, no training- other than here is manual and overly complicated paper work, multiple bosses and managers giving DIFFERENT information, Lack of planning and willingness to spend money, Have all eggs in 1 basket...if eggs are lost...well good by job No project details, felt like flying by seat of our pants, I made mistakes, through lack of information. Not a safe at the office I was based at.

Growing quickly, low salaries limited cohesion

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsThe employees at GENIVAR are provided with flexible hours, a share purchase plan, along with an RRSP contribution matching program.

ConsLimited career growth opportunities, low salaries, lack of professionalism, lack of mentorship. The business units have limited to no connection with each other, making the possibility of moving within the organization limited.

Getting worse

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsNot far from home.
    Flex time
    Share purchase plan for employees
    Coffee, tea, and candies are provided for free!

ConsGreedy
    Lack of professionalism and mentorship
    Limited career growth opportunities
    Low salaries
    Business units are disconnected
    Turnover seems to be getting higher
    Favouritism

Growing Organization, Low Salaries

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsStrong organizational growth, adopting new processes to deal with quick growth. Good training opportunities.

ConsCompared to industry averages salaries are significantly lower. At time of hiring bonuses were said to have been provided annually based on performance, however in the two years I spent at Genivar bonuses were not provided! The company was growing at a very fast pace (mostly through acquisitions), however it seemed as though existing employees were almost forgotten. There is a high turnover rate, as employees quicklyy realize their services are better compensated by other similar organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-align your salaries to reflect current marketplace. If you tell employees they will receive additional compensation (i.e. bonuses) deliver on your promises. Don't avoid them and ignore it, thinking employees will just forget about it. Help employees fell more valued and the results will speak for themselves!

Genivar .... A Company driven by GREED to expand

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospros... what pros? Oh the CEOs look good in a suit

ConsThis company eats smaller firms for breakfast!!

They will buy out small successful firms and not apply those thriving work ethics to there "overall plans". They give regular seminars or presentations on how the company is achieving more growth.

While developing partnership with WSP (a UK Based Company), Genivar had done a massive lay off of HUNDREDS (approx. 400) of employee's in eastern Canada.. incapable of maintaining regular work flow of projects coming in and lack of communication between such a large number of offices.

It's a disorganize chaos!! Rather than fixing or improving the growing pains and extremely undeveloped consistency through out it's own offices, the company continuously chooses to ignore these ongoing problems and diverts it's attention on the "Genivar worldwide concept". Genivar is taking more bites than it can chew... guess who will eventually choke?

Prior to Genivar buying out the company, we had a family like atmosphere, the company name was getting out more and more and we were working on large scale projects!! That's when Genivar's undying appetite to expand found us and bought us...They fed us false reassurance that things were not going to change...

Genivar is successful, a team building company, supporting the community.. YA RIGHT!!! The office I worked for has reduce it's number of employee's dramatically, lost it's charitable aspects and involvement towards the community and practically shut it's doors...thanks Genivar!!!!

Genivar ..."Improving lives...." what a joke!!! more like destroying them...

Worked for Genivar? Contribute to the Community!