Genocea Biosciences Reviews

CEO

1. Fast paced, good environment

Current Employee - Scientist II in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Scientist II in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genocea Biosciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are dedicated and energetic. Nice approach on the vaccine development industry. The CEO is charismatic, makes people happy to be there. The company values its employees, has good benefits and offers many events to help the employees know each other. I love to go to work, and believe 95% of the other employees do too.

Cons

After passing public in February 2014, Genocea had to realize that it can not do "Everything", and that in order to do "a lot" it needs more employees, needs to outsource certain projects, etc. As such, we had a difficult transition time, but all gets better already. I have no doubt things will be smoother soon.

Advice to Management

While projects multiply "upstairs" bodies need to multiply "downstairs".

Great Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genocea Biosciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think this is a terrific company. This is my 4th biotech company and it is far superior to the others. The employees are all very driven, bright and dedicated. Communication is very open, comfortable and easy and the culture is professional, hardworking and fun all at the same time.

Cons

Growing pains. We have had a big year and we are transitioning to a larger company so it can be a little crazy. But headed in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep the culture throughout the growth.

Exciting, young company

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Genocea Biosciences as a contractor

Pros

Very innovative and exciting pipeline. Collaborative environment, populated by smart, creative people without giant egos -- most people there are very approachable. Great location, space, and work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes there are ambiguities or miscommunications, though this can happen anywhere, and I wouldn't consider it to be an intrinsic quality of this comany

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Genocea Speed = Chaos Mode

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The scientific platform that Genocea is based on is a novel concept that can do very well in the vaccine world.

Cons

I would agree with 95% of the previous review with the exception of being penalized for having a life outside of work. There are far too many chiefs at Genocea. Each manager is in charge of one or two people. If you are not a manager your opinion or ideas matter very little. It is more of a ruling class and working class environment. Managers very rarely work in the lab. They like to say they work at "Genocea Speed" yet it is really chaos mode. Deadlines are unrealistic. Employees are severely micromanaged. Managers have very little to no proper managerial training and lack skills needed to motivate employees. I would not recommend working at Genocea.

Advice to Management

Understanding how to properly motivate employees and developing people skills is the one area where management can greatly improve to. Valuing the ideas and opinions of each and every employee would make employees feel like more a part of the company rather than a cog in a wheel.

Toxic Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Fast paced Ability to know every person in company, from CEO to interns Option to learn as many new skills as you feel comfortable with

Cons

Expectations unclear for job titles Unreasonable work expectations Penalized for having life outside of work Promotions are given on unknown scale Micromanaging is rampant and wastes time Company in general sets unattainable goals

Advice to Management

The fast paced work environment, while productive, leads to an unhappy workforce who dreads coming to work.

RSS Feed </> Embed