Genomic Health

Updated May 12, 2014

Genomic Health President & CEO Kim Popovits

Kim Popovits

Good Company

ProsMost teams work in harmony.

ConsPolitics at all sorts of levels. Good luck getting promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits for all level of employees.

Outstanding Customer Service Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsFriendly, hard-working, enthusiastic employees. Cohesive supportive team. Being a part of a cutting edge industry is amazing. It's really up to you how quickly and how far you can move up. You just have to look out for the right opportunity for you and go for it.

ConsWork/Life balance can be a bit challenging. CS department is incredibly fast-paced. There is always something to do, which to an extent is a positive, but it can be very stressful too.

Your experience will depend on what department you work in

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany Culture & Values, Cutting Edge Technology

ConsFemale Inequity in Sales Management,

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to pay attention to how people are really treated in your organization - very differently then the values that are "preached"

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Manager in IT

ProsGood work environment
    Smart coworkers
    Making impact in patients lives
    Good opportunities for folks who work hard

ConsGrowing pains
    Pay, bonus, 401K match packages could be more competitive
    Business teams and some IT folks still have start-up mentality and lack of process

Advice to Senior ManagementHold all groups to same standards across the company
    Take responsibility for mistakes at upper management level
    Delegate work to leads and don't operate in the weeds all the time in IT

Great place to work,but perhaps some problems in IT

ProsGreat corporate culture that is mostly the result of great leadership and vision by the top management (CFO CMO and especially the CEO).

ConsI am not in the IT group, but its generally known that it's dysfunctional, inefficient, highly political and that it has low QA standards. Also, with the recent re-org it seems to be getting more and more top heavy (with upper management).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work! And hold on to the CEO Kim P! Her style really works wonders for morale. I look forward to all hands meetings

IT
    They don't seem to know that they are a service group. Their budget is ballooning and they need to be given less political power so they will be more responsive to the needs of their internal customers.

Great place to work

(Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsWorking in a cutting edge industry. Financial compensation is excellent. Laid back work environment with excellent work/life balance. Great location and interesting projects. You are given autonomy over your projects for the most part.

ConsSomewhat of a nerdy atmosphere. The cafeteria needs a MAJOR revamp. New hire training is too general and doesn't focus on the actual work that will be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere seem to be many layers of management here with more emphasis on delegation and less emphasis on teamwork. It would be nice if everyone didn't focus so much on their title.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great individual contributors, inefficient leaders (in IT)

IT Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe folks who do the real work (developers, systems analysts, project managers and testers are excellent at what they do) and are passionate about how their work contributes to patients. They go the extra mile to get releases out on time

ConsIT Management (director level and above) folks think too highly of themselves and the environment is very political. Truth seeking is supposed to be a core value, but leaders in IT don't want to hear the truth. The whole game is about perception - how non-IT employees view them. Quality of work is considered secondary to the ability to appear "collaborative" - this is scary since patients will be impacted if bad quality software is released

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real and be true to the values of the company. Hold people accountable when shoddy work is done. Set a good example to the rest of IT. Take the recent high turnover rate seriously and listen to what your people are saying

Good company. People are very helpful and friendly.

IT Quality Engineer (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsGood learning environment, friendly coworker, good salary.

ConsNo comments. They are good at what they doing.

Great culture, team, and enviroment!

Corporate Employee (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsMy team is positive, works hard, and interacts well with each other. We all come from different backgrounds and experiences, but we allow each other to have diverse opinions and work together to make decisions. I feel appreciated for my thoughts and I am heard.

I also influence change and process improvements easiliy here. When I worked for bigger companies, process change would get slowed down and there was so much red tape for approvals. Here you can make a difference seamlessly.

It is a relaxed atmosphere...you can wear jeans everyday. The executives are approachable and engaging.

Several fun employee events; better than some big company events.

Good Employee Stock Purchase Program.

ConsI would advise increasing the 401K matching. Expand office building since we are growing so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep reinvesting back in the company

TA Team Dysfunctional

Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsGreat place to work (if you're not a part of the TA Team)
    Friendly employees

ConsLeaders react more than respond...they lead by their emotions. Have a "sink or swim" mentality, if you don't know their process (as they are too busy to even train you) they will get rid of you.

Have too many lengthy meetings. 1 hour is more than enough...2 hours? Come on, are we in school? No wonder some employees can't get their work done!

"Knives in one hand, candy in the other"...they like to attract top talent but are intimidated by ones who know more or are more experienced than they are.

Worked for Genomic Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genomic Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genomic Health CEO Kim Popovits. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Genomic Health employees.