Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation Director Martin Seidel

Martin Seidel

A lot depends on your boss/group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsBenefits, location, atmosphere, covering costs of work-related classes/courses

ConsLow-key pace at work, limited career opportunities

I enjoyed working at GNF as a postdoctoral fellow

Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee)

ProsVery collaborative environment
    A lot of resources

ConsYou will need to find the right resource.

Good entry to industry but don't plan on staying

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat introduction to industry experience, great benefits, a lot of access to different technologies, many groups are still kind of "academic-lite" minded

ConsPolitics, mixed support for you and/or your project, lower pay for an industry position

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop better career development for postdoc training

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great benefits and many successful drug programs, but bad for career development at the tech level.

Scientist I (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGNF has great benefits. 4 weeks of vacation starting off and good health insurance and 401k match. Work hours are pretty reasonable from my experience. There are many different drug programs that seem to be having success. Basically no layoffs through the entire recession so its very stable.

ConsAt the lower rungs of the company there is really not concern placed on career development and you are entirely on your own. Some managers are much better than others, it's something to discuss at an interview if this concerns you. Lab space is very tight. Expect your desk at a tech level (Scientific associate I/II or Scientist I) to be near a freezer or refrigerator and there to be at least 10 people nearby chattering. Those guys in office space were living the dream in their cubes. You can't eat at your desk if your desk space is in the lab. Of course you will be smelling bleach and Med Chem reactions so it might kill your appetite anyways if you aren't already going insane from the buzz of -80 degree freezers 4 feet from your desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating the techs like crap! Create some decent desk space for techs and give them some sort of career path.

Good

Scientific Associate I Temp (Former Employee)
    La Jolla, CA

ProsGreat people, great work enviornment

Conshard to convert temp to full time employment

great research Institute, open to new innovative ideas

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsInstitute with access cross functional specialties, open scientific discussions, Institute having shades of both academic and corporate cultures. Flexible time and research plans.

ConsInstitute transitioning to Novartis corporate culture
    post docs treated as cattle, with no career advancement
    new postdocs, take note and consider GNF training just as transition from academia to industry
    without harboring any intentions of joining GNF (unwritten rule against internal postdoc hiring)

Great place to work at if you work for the right person

Temporary Associate Scientist II (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGreat working environment, enjoyed my research project, overall people are friendly, shower/bike storage facility available, wonderful cafeteria with food cost subsidized by company.

Consa micromanging boss with some deep seated, trust issues, who also lacked confidence in herself and others who worked for her, and no patience. Senior level RA in the group spoke negatively and fed the boss lots of gossip, and this just only fed the boss's insecurities. Some RA's were busy bodies who liked a bit of lab drama.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all PhD level scientists are meant to be in the role of management. Just because someone who has a PhD, does not make them capable of managing people nor projects. Some are better off left at the bench. Before I resigned, HR told me that I was the third person to complain about my boss- will they ever remove this person from their role, because you will lose good people, if you keep putting these types of individuals who are emotionally challenging to work with. They are not meant to be managers.

Pigeon-holed

Scientist I (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsLots of freindly people everywhere

ConsNo room for advancement unless you are a kiss-ass

GNF is a very friendly place with room to learn from everyone within.

RMS Coordinator (Former Employee)

ProsRelaxed Environment
    Structured Management
    Great Communication
    Lenient about taking time off
    Well maintained professionalism at workplace
    Nice cafetaria
    Various fun company events on a monthly basis

ConsCan get lonely
    Can be responsible for too many tasks
    can be called in at anytime
    not well paid
    Limited group outtings

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate better with employees about their work status

A World Class Research Facility

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    San Diego, CA

ProsGNF is a stable job in an unstable market, the research quality can vary from group to group but overall is well above average. The productivity level of the institute is amazing and is a high energy environment. If you have a passion for science and conducting innovative research at break neck speeds than this is the place for you. This has some of the best and the brightest in the world in their respective fields and there is plenty of opportunity to grow scientifically (as long as you are willing to put in the hard work)

ConsThe institute is a tad bit cliquey which is very predominant during lunch. The scientific management are world class scientists, however, they lack management training and ability in many areas. The institute is is currently addressing issue perceived to diminish productivity and improve the over all moral.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn improvement on communication through the ranks is desperately needed, as too much time is wasted by employees gossiping about issues that should be addressed by management.

Worked for Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation CEO Martin Seidel . All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation employees.