Genoptix

Add Photos

Tina S. Nova

great employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, both health and 401k were superb.
    Comfortable, friendly, and professional work environment.
    Reasonable work hours and (for me at least) plenty of opportunities for overtime which was great.
    Good management system which promotes hard work and helps with progressing careers by providing projects and other opportunities.

ConsThey were recently purchased by Novartis a few years ago, since then they seem to have given the ax to 2 entire departments along with a few sub-departments. This is only a problem if your job is outsource-able.

Sometimes people who know how the management system works are able to skate by doing barely anything, just by reacting to the notices and warning that they are given. This is only a problem if you get frustrated working with lazy people (not everyones lazy, but there are a few that seem unfireable).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe floor in the dark room in SAN3 needs to NOT be carpet, it's so incredibly dank down under those desks... it could be a fungus swamp. It's scary.
    Besides that I enjoyed working there a lot.

Not what it use to be

ProsDecent compensation. They seem to hire good people cause I enjoy my coworkers, they're all great people. Job security.

ConsFeels like management only cares about profits and doesn't care about the employees anymore. Lack of personal growth. Rigid structure, hard to advance. Not a lot of days given off, for example have to take the day after Thanksgiving off.

Company review.

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsGreat company to work for. The people are very nice and good team environment.

ConsThe buildings are so ready out over 5 structures. There can tend to be lots of time wasted going to meetings.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Educational

ProsLearning Oncology Book of Business

ConsUpper Management was insincere and untrustworthy

Advice to Senior ManagementStop Micro managing

Genoptix has developed a commitment to mediocrity.

Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsIt's better than being homeless, but only slightly.

ConsAfter 4 years at Genoptix and nothing short of flawless and glowing performance reviews, the only opportunity I ever received was the opportunity to leave. Mediocrity is implicitly encouraged as they refuse to reward excellence. Misery is pervasive throughout the company, which makes for a dreadful working environment. Anyone considering working for Genoptix should reach out to current employees on linked in, no one should have to endure the misery that this company promotes.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect more of your employees, more of yourselves, and more of Genoptix. Quit the zero-sum game strategies. Poor policies are implemented that hurt the company and the employees because "it just has to be this way." Work with your employees to achieve greatness instead of working against them. Your best employees are not working half the time becuause you don't reward them and they can easily outperform everyone else. You are leaving money on the table. Address the pervasive air of misery that has permeated every single department.

A very unusual culture run by a cowboy.

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat product offerings and very good compensation

ConsNo people development, and Head of Commercial does not support management. Threatens to fire people constantly

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a HR Process and put more emphasis on people development

Great people, poor management.

Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsVery bright and friendly coworkers. Laid back environment. Great tuition reimbursement.

ConsNovartis has gutted everything great about this company. It is no longer possible to move up or even laterally. Almost all halfway decent perks that we once had (lunches, holiday parties, etc.) have been cut. Mediocrity is highly encouraged. Yearly raises have been below inflation (1-2%) and "promotions" are around 3%. I say "promotions" as they typically require you to do the work for a long while before they change your job title and give you a raise. If you value challenging work and career growth, this is not the company for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecision making should be more transparent. Bad business decisions continue to come down the pipeline with zero justification. Reward your outstanding employees and quit putting so much emphasis on credentials and work experience. People are more highly valued for what they did before Genoptix than for what they actually do at Genoptix.

Treated their employees poorly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTina Nova was/is a great leader

ConsShe had poor management making decisions on her behalf

Advice to Senior ManagementYou screwed all of the personnel who were with the company since the beginning by selling the company for less than the stock options

Awesome company to work for!

Administrative Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPeople are so friendly there, company events and facilities are wonderful. They really take care of you there.

ConsSome drama in different departments.

Mostly dead end jobs in a lab that is no longer growing with management that is out of touch.

Clinical Services (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsOk way to learn the ins and outs of oncology diagnostics company and good opportunity if someone only wants to work in a laboratory and no desire to have mobility.

ConsNo job growth, Novartis is investing in only one department (clinical trials). Poor communication from management. Very low morale. Raises are dwindling.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhatever the current strategy it isn't working (because most of the time it doesn't seem like there is one). Management gives the impression that they could care less about their employees, and dish out information in a disheveled and scattered way.

Worked for Genoptix? Contribute to the Community!