Genscape

Updated January 1, 2015
3.9

Matthew Burkley

1. Featured Review

Lively Culture, Career Growth, and Entrepreneurial Spirit Abound!

Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genscape full-time (more than a year)

Pros

One of the best part of Genscape is the culture and my immediate team. We are close, collaborative, creative, and encouraged to have ideas and try new things. My colleagues in the Boston office are energetic, smart and love to have fun. We are soon moving to a brand new office space that will be top of the line, we get catered lunch every other Wednesday, and have monthly happy hours among other sponsored employee events. Genscape also focuses on rewarding people for a job well done with opportunities for visibility to the leadership team, compensation and bonuses, and awards. Genscape is high growth and moves quickly in terms of product launches and acquisitions. It's a great fit for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who can thrive in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment.

Cons

I currently don't have any challenges or complaints about working at Genscape. It's been a rewarding experience!

Great work culture and interesting projects

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Genscape as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Genscape as a software engineer intern. I completely enjoyed working there. I got to learn about the Power energy market( before this I had no clue about it). Also, I was working on a live project which was interesting and challenging.

Cons

I didn't have any negative experiences to mention here!

Genscape Response

Oct 15, 2014Director of Talent Management

Thank you for your note. We appreciate your feedback. We highly value our internship program and want to ensure our interns have a rewarding, valuable and meaningful experience with our team!

Avoid this company! Bunch of ignorants who do not know what they are doing here.

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Genscape full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beer fridge, food in kitchen.

Cons

The manager is very crazy. He could not understand what the senior manager or board wanted of him. All in all they are a group of people who do not know what the company actually does.

Give attention to new employees.

Genscape Response

Dec 8, 2014Director of Talent Management

We are very sorry to hear you had this experience at Genscape. We are a bit confused as we don't hire strictly "Data Analyst" positions in Boston (have never provided that title) and also interaction ... More

Avoid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Genscape full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beer Fridge, Company paid meals every Friday.

Cons

Lots of folks in the infrastructure group stabbing each other in the back. Buddy program is in place and even if you are doing your job like you are asked to do, at any moment someone complains about the work you do your out the door in a matter of time.

Fantastic

I have been working at Genscape full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- High caliber colleagues
    - Working environment is easy and fun
    - Great compensation
    - Great work/Life balance

Cons

The company has been growing at a rapid speed thus sometimes faces pain of a growing company such as inadequate IT support and multiple locations

Great Company - Fun, Fast Paced, and Dynamic!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Genscape full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the culture and environment at Genscape. I have had an amazing experience thus far. There has been tremendous opportunity to learn, take on additional responsibility, and contribute to the growth of the company. All of my co-workers are intelligent, innovative, and ambitious individuals. I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of a team where people are genuinely enthusiastic about their jobs. The company is growing aggressively and with this comes substantial opportunity to not only move up, but also to branch into different areas, potentially into a position that does not exist yet. To Genscape's credit, as the company continues to grow, it has held tightly to its notion of maintaining the feel of a start up, entrepreneurial environment. I think this focus on innovation has helped drive the company's success, not only in product development but in employee retention and company culture.

Cons

Genscape is growing aggressively and with rapid growth, there can be some ambiguity, not only in communication but in distribution of responsibility. This ambiguity and often times, delayed process, can be frustrating for some. If you like a formal, structured environment, this may not be the best place for you. Genscape gravitates toward employees who are proactive and receptive to a free exchange of ideas.

Keep doing what you're doing. Genscape is a very unique and dynamic company. This type of company culture is hard to come by. I would only encourage management to maintain your focus on the team and encourage collaborative discussion.

Avoid this group if want to grow

I worked at Genscape

Pros

Vibrant well educated group of younger professionals. Majority of staff is very friendly. Budget is not a concern when travelling or spending money.

Cons

Genscape is very good at buying small companies and creating chaos by instituting a revolving door of change that keeps real growth in neutral and giving you that sinking feeling of "here we go again". Work groups seem very territorial, specifically technology and admin.

Great company, management and culture...leading in Energy Data Analytics

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Genscape full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture is very relaxed and positive. Lunch is covered every Friday along which starts to add up. Management is very interested in improving products and there are no boundaries in who you can talk to.

Cons

They need more people for some products, often one person is in charge of more than they could complete in a given time. Although they seem very interested in building their talent base at the moment.

Best Training Available for Power Market Analysts

Former Employee - Product Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Genscape full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

For those interested in the North American energy markets, Genscape provides an opportunity to really learn and understand the fundamental drivers that move the market. There are a solid set of processes that have been developed over time as the power markets have matured, and analysts are trained to start with the proven methodologies and exand on them. I'm certain that Genscape leads the market on new ideas and pulls many market participants with them; this is why Genscape is so essential for companies building up their operations in new markets, as well as a way for shops to stay on top of change. Having access to very granular proprietary data helps the analysts see things that most other shops can not, this accelerates the learning process and is probably why most people believe that Genscape has a very steep learning curve. Employees that take the initiative are rewarded with more responsibility, the opportunity to represent the company, and more face-to-face connections with clients and prospective clients. I don't believe there is any better training program to become an analyst at a trading shop or a trader than at a company like Genscape.

Cons

The nature of the energy business requires hard working individuals that are results-based. Not all people are made for this type of industry and some become burned out, leaving the other team members to pick up the slack in their absence. Stricter recruiting and employment requirements has helped to improve turnover quite a bit from when I started at the company. Vacation time is often deferred, so be prepared to put work first. Be aware that analysts are directly responsible for managing accounts and renewing business; your compensation will partially depend on that. There is a clear line between employees driving innovation and contributing, and those floating by and doing the bare minimum (many companies probably share a similar dynamic); this can be frustrating at times. There are alot of middle level managers at Genscape, which most operations analysts find annoying because of the underfunded performance bonus system; they feel critical employees should be compensated better.

Standardize and promote the training program so it can become an asset and perhaps be monetized. I had a great experience with Genscape and believe that the company can continue to attract the very best analysts if they are offered an opportunity to "graduate" from Genscape University and be considered an industry expert.

Exceptionally interesting product/industry but the technology side excites me the most

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genscape full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working in a fast-paced technology team where real-time data is captured from remote sensors all over the world, run through analytical models on massively scalable parallel data warehouses and then pumped out to Wall Street traders is wickedly cool particularly when coupled with high-end visualization and image processing. Lots of passion from the people and innovation is a central theme to the organization... as seen most recently with our aerial drones research. High IQ teams. An exceptional position in the market given the uniqueness of data and long-term strategy.

Cons

Positive rate of growth creates challenges in identifying best areas for investment and rolling out products fast enough to meet market demand. Maintaining growth while maintaining A++ top talent bar can be a challenge.

The organization is very experienced in business and technology talent so consider further scaling by increasing the pull right out of top engineering universities.