Genscape
www.genscape.com Louisville, KY 150 to 499 Employees

Genscape Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2014
Genscape – US – “Genscape won "Best Places to Work" in Kentucky!”

Matthew Burkley

Fantastic

Pros- High caliber colleagues
    - Working environment is easy and fun
    - Great compensation
    - Great work/Life balance

ConsThe company has been growing at a rapid speed thus sometimes faces pain of a growing company such as inadequate IT support and multiple locations

Great Company - Fun, Fast Paced, and Dynamic!!!!

Boulder, CO

ProsI love the culture and environment at Genscape. I have had an amazing experience thus far. There has been tremendous opportunity to learn, take on additional responsibility, and contribute to the growth of the company. All of my co-workers are intelligent, innovative, and ambitious individuals. I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of a team where people are genuinely enthusiastic about their jobs. The company is growing aggressively and with this comes substantial opportunity to not only move up, but also to branch into different areas, potentially into a position that does not exist yet. To Genscape's credit, as the company continues to grow, it has held tightly to its notion of maintaining the feel of a start up, entrepreneurial environment. I think this focus on innovation has helped drive the company's success, not only in product development but in employee retention and company culture.

ConsGenscape is growing aggressively and with rapid growth, there can be some ambiguity, not only in communication but in distribution of responsibility. This ambiguity and often times, delayed process, can be frustrating for some. If you like a formal, structured environment, this may not be the best place for you. Genscape gravitates toward employees who are proactive and receptive to a free exchange of ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Genscape is a very unique and dynamic company. This type of company culture is hard to come by. I would only encourage management to maintain your focus on the team and encourage collaborative discussion.

Avoid this group if want to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVibrant well educated group of younger professionals. Majority of staff is very friendly. Budget is not a concern when travelling or spending money.

ConsGenscape is very good at buying small companies and creating chaos by instituting a revolving door of change that keeps real growth in neutral and giving you that sinking feeling of "here we go again". Work groups seem very territorial, specifically technology and admin.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, management and culture...leading in Energy Data Analytics

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsCulture is very relaxed and positive. Lunch is covered every Friday along which starts to add up. Management is very interested in improving products and there are no boundaries in who you can talk to.

ConsThey need more people for some products, often one person is in charge of more than they could complete in a given time. Although they seem very interested in building their talent base at the moment.

Best Training Available for Power Market Analysts

Product Director (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsFor those interested in the North American energy markets, Genscape provides an opportunity to really learn and understand the fundamental drivers that move the market. There are a solid set of processes that have been developed over time as the power markets have matured, and analysts are trained to start with the proven methodologies and exand on them. I'm certain that Genscape leads the market on new ideas and pulls many market participants with them; this is why Genscape is so essential for companies building up their operations in new markets, as well as a way for shops to stay on top of change. Having access to very granular proprietary data helps the analysts see things that most other shops can not, this accelerates the learning process and is probably why most people believe that Genscape has a very steep learning curve. Employees that take the initiative are rewarded with more responsibility, the opportunity to represent the company, and more face-to-face connections with clients and prospective clients. I don't believe there is any better training program to become an analyst at a trading shop or a trader than at a company like Genscape.

ConsThe nature of the energy business requires hard working individuals that are results-based. Not all people are made for this type of industry and some become burned out, leaving the other team members to pick up the slack in their absence. Stricter recruiting and employment requirements has helped to improve turnover quite a bit from when I started at the company. Vacation time is often deferred, so be prepared to put work first. Be aware that analysts are directly responsible for managing accounts and renewing business; your compensation will partially depend on that. There is a clear line between employees driving innovation and contributing, and those floating by and doing the bare minimum (many companies probably share a similar dynamic); this can be frustrating at times. There are alot of middle level managers at Genscape, which most operations analysts find annoying because of the underfunded performance bonus system; they feel critical employees should be compensated better.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize and promote the training program so it can become an asset and perhaps be monetized. I had a great experience with Genscape and believe that the company can continue to attract the very best analysts if they are offered an opportunity to "graduate" from Genscape University and be considered an industry expert.

Good if you're young and inexperienced.

Power Market Analyst (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsThis company loves to hire recent graduates (because they're cheap). Most new hires stick around for 1-2 years before moving on to greener pastures (right about the time they become useful and productive). Consequently, many groups are constantly under-staffed or having to train inexperienced people. Anyone who lasts more than 2 years is promoted to junior management. Being a junior manager is a dead-end burnout job as promoting from within to middle-management is rare and junior managers are constantly scrambling to cover for employees that have left or train new hires. The work environment is casual but not necessarily low stress.

ConsGenscape does not spend money to keep people. The upper management constantly pushes cost-cutting efforts that erode morale. Starting salaries are low compared to the cost of living (at least in the Boston office) and raises are handed out with an eye-dropper. In the hiring process they will dangle the possibility of a bonus in front of candidates as well as promise raises after a certain number of months. Don't believe it. I've seen management reneg on such promises several times. You're real compensation during your first couple of years (if you're a recent grad) is experience. Learn what you can and then get out before you get burned out or let go. This company is also extremely hostile to members of the National Guard and military Reserves. Promotions at Genscape are as often as not granted without regard to merit or productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating people like a tradable commodity. Invest in reducing turnover and raising morale. Be honest, keep your promises and treat your employees like adults. If you take care of your people, they'll take care of you. Otherwise, you're just running a training program for other companies.

Exceptionally interesting product/industry but the technology side excites me the most

Boston, MA

ProsWorking in a fast-paced technology team where real-time data is captured from remote sensors all over the world, run through analytical models on massively scalable parallel data warehouses and then pumped out to Wall Street traders is wickedly cool particularly when coupled with high-end visualization and image processing. Lots of passion from the people and innovation is a central theme to the organization... as seen most recently with our aerial drones research. High IQ teams. An exceptional position in the market given the uniqueness of data and long-term strategy.

ConsPositive rate of growth creates challenges in identifying best areas for investment and rolling out products fast enough to meet market demand. Maintaining growth while maintaining A++ top talent bar can be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization is very experienced in business and technology talent so consider further scaling by increasing the pull right out of top engineering universities.

Exciting place to work at

Boston, MA

ProsThe smart, driven, and passionate coworkers and leadership I work with makes this an excellent environment to be in. Everyone shares a can-do attitude that is contagious and is very exciting, especially given the range of very creative and ingenious solutions to hard, real-world, practical problems. The relatively small size enables close and almost familial collaboration across groups and geographies, and the openness of the domain experts has brought me some great and fascinating learning opportunities. The culture of accountability and empowerment makes me feel my contributions can have immediate and significant impact in the future and direction of the company. The perks (gym membership, free lunches every week, fully stocked kitchen, outings, events, devices, etc) are quite nice and show how the company strives to make all employees happy and to truly recognize their dedication, in multiple ways and in an ongoing fashion. Overall, I am definitely excited to work at Genscape!

ConsNo complaints yet, since I am a recent hire.

Great first job out of college!!

Office Manager (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsI love the culture and environment at Genscape. I have had an amazing experience thus far. My coworkers are driven and willing to teach me new things everyday. Everyone is friendly and willing to lend a hand where needed.

ConsFor my first job out of college, I can't complain about much. I honestly enjoy almost every aspect of the company, especially the Boston office.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to welcome new employees in the same manner-it was a pleasure starting work at Genscape with such a warm and welcoming group of people!

Awesome company, growing fast, many opportunities...

Marketing (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGenscape has a great culture and environment with a mixture of both younger and older employees. The leadership team is smart, down to earth, driven and personable. Our CEO makes an effort to get to know everyone and makes you feel like your job is imperative to the success of Genscape. Genscape offers good benefits - whether paying for our gym membership or daily commute, or always buying us lunches and paying for fun company events (golfing, happy hours, etc.) Genscape employees are really one of a kind - highly intelligent, dedicated people that work hard, but have fun and are not "full of themselves". HR has developed a great career development plan and thinking outside of your job description is encouraged. If you are all for not working at a large corporate giant doing the same job day in and day out - Genscape is the place for you. You are given endless opportunities - whether to work within different product lines, or different departments, etc. Overall, great, fast growing company!

ConsReally no complaints...in the year that I have been here, I can truly say I enjoy my job, the company, and the people. I can honestly say I wake up excited to go to work each day, which is not always the case in this day in age!

Worked for Genscape? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genscape reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genscape CEO Matthew Burkley. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Genscape employees.