Gensler

Gensler Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins

Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins

Pros:
  • "Great people, no attitudes (that;s hard to find in the architecture industry)"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Profit Sharing & revenue base performance bonus a"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance can be a challenge depending on the person"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Difficult to advance your career"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company to work for!

Project Accountant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat open environment. Staff is great, work is great, office is beautiful, espresso machines are amazing!

ConsWorkload is a lot and days can get extremely busy. Must go in everyday with an attitude to work!

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance is great; Gensler really encourages its employees to socially interact with one another.

My best job yet!

Studio Coordinator (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe firm works on some really interesting design projects all over the world. My managers are supportive of my growth and career development. I'm surrounded by talented and competent people that are a pleasure to work with. Low stress. Great work/life balance. Lots of social activities. Lovely office. Two bonuses per year. Good retirement and medical benefits.

ConsPay could be more competitive. An org chart would be nice.

Solid company, entrepreneurial organization.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsQuality of design
    Quality of client
    Quality of co-workers
    Opportunities for career advancement
    Collegial work environment
    Strong culture
    Very open attitude to employees' desire to try on new roles, move into new practice areas (there are 25+ practice areas)
    No micro managers

ConsThe office is VERY busy. Depending on your projects, practice area, and studio work loads, there can be lots of overtime work involved.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good employer, some people fall through the cracks, but many more thrive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a good creative environment

ConsCan be too corporate at times

The best place to work!

San Francisco, CA

ProsI have worked at Gensler for over 20 years and have been able to evolve in my career and even take on new challenges of my own accord. My schedule is flexible, the benefits are great and my profit sharing and ESOP will provide me a nice retirement. There is always an event, party, workshop or celebration going on somewhere in the office. Communication between offices is easy which means we really are a global firm.

ConsWith a big company like Gensler people come and go fairly often so we are always looking for new talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great that management is accessible and approachable. Art Gensler always has great enthusiasm in the office and that rubs off on his employees.

Great company to work for!

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsVery employee oriented. compensate employees very well with bonuses twice a year!

ConsI have no cons. the company is run by incredible people that really know what their doing to keep the company successful!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing!

By far, the best design company I have ever worked for

Interior Designer (Current Employee)
    San Jose, CA

Proslaidback; great flexibilty for working parents; the project range is amazing and opportunities to grow in the firm are unlimited.

Conswhile easy to grow within the firm, harder to grow within the office, though this seems to be changing; too structured within the office space (it needs to be more casual and messy)

Amazing, entrepreneurial culture

Designer (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsCulture, bonuses, diversity of projects

ConsLarge place, could be easy to get lost. Kind of a long game when it comes to financial reward.

Great wonderful place to grow... If your in a larger office

Designer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people. People have your back and become life long friends.
    If you leave to check out the grass being greener, you can come back as a boomerang. It's an actual program.
    Great benefits, overtime pay, profit sharing, health, etc
    Great visibility in industry with access to so much.
    When you say you are from Gensler, people listen and will call you back.
    Great training for movement.

ConsNot all offices are created equal.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't always higher the juniors... Remember your long time employees deserve higher salaries too.

You are your only limitation! Gensler is a place where you have the leverage to achieve anything you want.

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsFirst and foremost- GREAT CLIENTS! Very entrepreneurial in professional development and career pathing, high design - business savvy, talented individuals around every corner, awesome culture and people, expectations are high but the sky is the limit to accomplish anything you want, supportive management, thought leaders, fun and inspiring.

ConsEverybody works very hard (often a lot of OT) and there is pressure to do the same...so your work-life balance is difficult to manage at times. Total compensation is distributed among 4 vehicles, so base salary is only in the middle of the pack with other similar size firms...a little harder to get used to for early career professionals.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore autonomous style management practices should be used. Consider better ways of recognizing licensure (ie, a raise, even small, would be nice)!

Worked for Gensler? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gensler reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gensler CEO Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins. All 144 reviews posted anonymously by Gensler employees.