Gensler Reviews

213 reviews filtered by
4.0
Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins

Pros
  • Great people, no attitudes (that;s hard to find in the architecture industry) (in 10 reviews)

• Professional growth, profit sharing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge depending on the person (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, internal politics, tends to favor extroverts over introverts (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent environment for a self starter

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Truly entrepreneurial spirit. Learning is encouraged and innovation is championed.

Cons

Some of that learning and innovation may have to be on your own time.

Advice to Management

Keep heading in the direction you're going. More autonomy and valuing production as opposed to pedigree.

2. Outstanding entrepreneural organization of innovative and intelligent experts with a professional services committment.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Northeast Center, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Northeast Center, NY

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Always pushing to next level of excellence in performance and service.

Cons

Too early to comment -- I am delighted to be part of this extraordinary team!

Advice to Management

Continue to develop strategic activities for targeted talent acquisition!

3. Technology Support

Current Employee - IT Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dynamic, high energy environment.

Cons

Some IT staff may find the lack of structure and entrepreneurial culture difficult to adjust to. Individual professional development is supported, but requires personal involvement and commitment.

5. Project Manager

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

Creative, Progressive, Smart and Resourceful

Cons

Working in many projects at once with all in high capacity is a stereo-type

Advice to Management

Any aspect to improve work life balance

My experience at Gensler is mixed, I feel like they can do better in the HR department.

I have been working at Gensler

Pros

The pros are they push you to move up in the company .

Cons

The people that work here need a real attitude adjustment. I've never worked with a company that allows people to be so nasty,spoiled,spiteful,rude.

Advice to Management

Attitude is key in a company, not just for the client.

7. Administrative

I have been working at Gensler

Pros

Great company and great life and work balance.

Cons

As an admin, it was hard to move up.

8. Learned a ton

Former Employee - Interior Design Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Interior Design Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gensler

Pros

Lots of talented designers, and incredible resources

Cons

It's hard to outrun the corporate machine that comes with being a company of this size.

The more you learn, the less you may like it.

I have been working at Gensler full-time

Pros

There are some truly amazing people who work for this firm. Considering how much time you will spend with your colleagues, it's great to work for such a talented, insightful, and fun group of people.

The firm is also big, so there a plenty of systems already set up for you to help streamline your work and save you time. You'll also have the opportunity to work with some of the biggest clients and on some amazing projects that you would never see anywhere else.

During my first few years, I was convinced that I found my "dream job." I was dazzled.

Cons

It's a big company, so the politics, bureaucracy, jargon, and double-speak that one expects is most certainly present. Despite the official story, the focus is very clearly on making money over design, and this is where Gensler excels.

While they do pay overtime as the result of Art Gensler's very fair outlook "If you are doing work for us, we will pay you for it," there is also a culturally embedded pressure to NOT report the actual time you work. In fact, some projects will be organized without fee or proper leadership, leaving the burden of making up for it on junior designers who are encouraged to "donate" their time.

There are quite literally hundreds of "initiatives" out there vying for attention and staff hours. Very few have any budget, so once again, employees are expected to "donate" their time to it. While these are often created to give those involved much needed exposure, they greatly distract from core project work. Add to already overloaded design staff, and the result is unfocused, scattered, or half-baked designs.

Very senior leadership is, at least in the DC office, both literally and figuratively detached from all studio staff. The most recent renovation design clearly indicates that they have no interest in actually being engaged with the office. Most cannot ascertain their roles, and those who have close interaction with them indicate that there is a large gap between their public and actual personas. Most insider anecdotes tend to be less than flattering.

Compensation tends to be less than one expects. Part is that Gensler is smart- they are a well known brand name and use that to their advantage in negotiations. There are two bonuses: one is set while the other tends to be more merit-based. The latter is ingenious in that it is pitched as part of a total compensation package, but is a complete unknown until the day you receive it. As a result, most staff go through efforts to do anything they can to make it larger despite having no idea what factors actually determine its size. This means lots of free overtime, making new initiatives, political behavior, and shameless self-promotion.

After more experience within the organization, I started seeing things that startled me. The Emperor was missing his clothes.

Advice to Management

Align marketing statements with reality by focusing on design rather than the bottom line.
    Put an end to practices (and a culture) that encourage staff to work for free.
    Reexamine senior staff behavior with a critical eye. Require them to become more engaged with studios.
    Reduce extracurricular activities to increase participation and while allowing a focus on core project loads.
    Prove to staff that they are valued by offering benefits above the mediocre.

10. Intern

I worked at Gensler

Pros

Great company to work for, as an intern I learned how the fast paced environment of a large design firm works. Lots of practice areas to choose from and develop a career plan.
    Can't wait to be back

Cons

Money was a bit tight, and entry level architects should get a bit more mentoring by the senior colleagues.

Corporate giant, not so different from other big companies out there

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many talented people who are passionate about their work, office culture is nice, work times are quite flexible

Cons

Too much office politics going on, favoritism is very obvious. A lot of lip service but leadership is lacking. Base salary is low.

Advice to Management

Have better communication with your workers.