Gensler

Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins

Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My best job yet!

Studio Coordinator (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsThe firm works on some really interesting design projects all over the world. My managers are supportive of my growth and career development. I'm surrounded by talented and competent people that are a pleasure to work with. Low stress. Great work/life balance. Lots of social activities. Lovely office. Two bonuses per year. Good retirement and medical benefits.

ConsPay could be more competitive. An org chart would be nice.

Lots of opportunities

Designer (Current Employee)

ProsVery diverse portfolio.
    Overtime pay
    Lots of opportunities

Consbig company
    less competition participation
    projects can be more experimental

Good place to meet great people and diversify your experience

Project Architect (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIt is a great place if you want to diversify your experience working with creative and fun people. There are a lot of social activities and networking opportunity.

ConsWorkload can vary and overtime is expected. You can get exhausted at times when there is a project deadline as project is usually under staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease balance the workload and hire the right people for the projects.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An inspiring workspace & great place for growth for designers...

Designer (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsIt's inspiring to work at a company that is doing such great design work across the globe. Gensler has a vibrant company culture evident the day I interviewed. In San Francisco, the artwork on the walls rotates every 3 months, as well as during the holidays there is a wonderful children's holiday party where volunteers re-imagined the workspace into scenes from Alice & Wonderland this last December. Many employees take part in volunteering in the community.

In addition, there are a lot of opportunities for career growth, and I find I have the space at Gensler to take on projects that stretch my skill-sets. If you love being in an environment that is centered around Design Thinking, this is the place to be. Colleagues are professional and helpful, and I've found a good work-life balance here.

ConsCompensation for non-architects (UX specialists, software engineers, designers) working in firm-wide operations has not kept pace with the bay area salary market. Gensler is also going through the normal growing pains when a company grows in both #of offices & #of employees in a relatively short period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we continue to grow and open new offices, we need to invest more in updating our technological infrastructure and enterprise-level applications to perform at an optimal level across all our offices. Some of our functions within FW aren't as integrated or automated as they should be. Please keep pace with the market for salaries and compensation for the software designers and UX in FW or we won't be able to retain talent.

The best place to work!

San Francisco, CA

ProsI have worked at Gensler for over 20 years and have been able to evolve in my career and even take on new challenges of my own accord. My schedule is flexible, the benefits are great and my profit sharing and ESOP will provide me a nice retirement. There is always an event, party, workshop or celebration going on somewhere in the office. Communication between offices is easy which means we really are a global firm.

ConsWith a big company like Gensler people come and go fairly often so we are always looking for new talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is great that management is accessible and approachable. Art Gensler always has great enthusiasm in the office and that rubs off on his employees.

Great work environment and very talented people

Project Architect (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- wide variety of work
    - the people make it a great place to work
    - bonus structure
    - great social environment

Conslow base pay
    long hours
    big corporate clients= long hours,short schedules

Advice to Senior Managementbe more involved in the whole process. Not just staffing the hours and looking at the money spent. Take the team out more after landmark deadlines.

Social office environment

Architectural Designer (Former Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsI enjoyed how friendly and welcoming the office was, the quality of the work, different disciplines represented, and the work hard/play hard culture. Coworkers took time to teach me and took an interest in the quality of my internship.

ConsAs an intern, I wasn't assigned any design tasks and wasn't a full member of the design team (though I expected this).

Refreshing culture, great people, no limit to opportunity. Great brand.

San Francisco, CA

ProsInnovative, entrepreneurial and collaborative work environment/mindset.
    Smart people who are leaders in their field and approach design holistically
    Great firmwide support resources that you don't get in smaller firms
    Ability to work on projects you want to work on

ConsOne firm approach sometimes difficult to balance with local/entreprenuerial approach

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive innovation in not only design but management. Don't get stuck stale in management approach or practices.

Great place to work!

San Francisco, CA

ProsVery collaborative, well-respected firm. Great company culture that encourages entrepreneurship, collegiality and community involvement. Bonus program and PS/ESOP programs can be very rewarding to those who stay with the firm for a long time.

ConsBig company, so sometimes making changes to processes/policies can take time. The Regional structure helps to offset this somewhat given the fact that the regions still have quite a bit of independence and latitude to explore new practices/methodologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let the growth of the company turn it into a bureaucracy.

Job Captain

Job Captain (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

ProsPaid overtime. Guaranteed performance bonus AND Christmas bonus.

ConsVery minimum base pay according to AIA

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay. Get rid of the Designer/Job captain production roles.

Worked for Gensler? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gensler reviews and ratings in San Francisco, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gensler CEO Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Gensler employees.