Gensler Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated September 17, 2014
3.7

Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins

Pros
  • Great people, no attitudes (that;s hard to find in the architecture industry) (in 9 reviews)

• Profit Sharing & revenue base performance bonus a (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge depending on the person (in 8 reviews)

• Difficult to advance, work life balance is grossly out of wack, client expectations are not managed by the project managers (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

"If you have an idea, you can make it happen" - Joan Price; Managing Director

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fun culture. Never micro-managed. Encouragement to bring forth new ideas. Rewarding bonus structure. Potential for growth if you dare to grab it. Great friendships. Collaboration.

Cons

Often de-centralized in firm-wide initiatives, but improvements are being made all of the time.

Don't rely only on the great 50 year history that we have, continue to grow and evolve while elevating the Gensler brand.

Architectural greed - if it exists

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get high fees from our clients and don't have to put in many man-hours or thought-effort in return. Kind of feel bad for our clients because they could do way better for what they're paying.

Cons

Don't feel very good about getting paid well to do such hasty work when some of the clients are so nice. Then there's the bad clients, and then I don't feel so bad for them.

Don't change a thing. There is some kind of magic equation going on that makes this place so profitable. If I were a better person I'd probably say we should try to provide a better product, but why bother when the clients are coming in droves for second rate copies and mish-mashes of trendy designs from 10 years ago? Innovation costs time/money, and I think this is where we save so much. And I get to go home at 5:45 like clockwork and enjoy my weekends.

My best job yet!

Current Employee - Studio Coordinator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for less than a year

Pros

The firm works on some really interesting design projects all over the world. My managers are supportive of my growth and career development. I'm surrounded by talented and competent people that are a pleasure to work with. Low stress. Great work/life balance. Lots of social activities. Lovely office. Two bonuses per year. Good retirement and medical benefits.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive. An org chart would be nice.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Designer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very diverse portfolio.
    Overtime pay
    Lots of opportunities

Cons

big company
    less competition participation
    projects can be more experimental

Good place to meet great people and diversify your experience

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a great place if you want to diversify your experience working with creative and fun people. There are a lot of social activities and networking opportunity.

Cons

Workload can vary and overtime is expected. You can get exhausted at times when there is a project deadline as project is usually under staffed.

Please balance the workload and hire the right people for the projects.

The best place to work!

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have worked at Gensler for over 20 years and have been able to evolve in my career and even take on new challenges of my own accord. My schedule is flexible, the benefits are great and my profit sharing and ESOP will provide me a nice retirement. There is always an event, party, workshop or celebration going on somewhere in the office. Communication between offices is easy which means we really are a global firm.

Cons

With a big company like Gensler people come and go fairly often so we are always looking for new talent.

It is great that management is accessible and approachable. Art Gensler always has great enthusiasm in the office and that rubs off on his employees.

An inspiring workspace & great place for growth for designers...

Current Employee - Designer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's inspiring to work at a company that is doing such great design work across the globe. Gensler has a vibrant company culture evident the day I interviewed. In San Francisco, the artwork on the walls rotates every 3 months, as well as during the holidays there is a wonderful children's holiday party where volunteers re-imagined the workspace into scenes from Alice & Wonderland this last December. Many employees take part in volunteering in the community.

In addition, there are a lot of opportunities for career growth, and I find I have the space at Gensler to take on projects that stretch my skill-sets. If you love being in an environment that is centered around Design Thinking, this is the place to be. Colleagues are professional and helpful, and I've found a good work-life balance here.

Cons

Compensation for non-architects (UX specialists, software engineers, designers) working in firm-wide operations has not kept pace with the bay area salary market. Gensler is also going through the normal growing pains when a company grows in both #of offices & #of employees in a relatively short period of time.

As we continue to grow and open new offices, we need to invest more in updating our technological infrastructure and enterprise-level applications to perform at an optimal level across all our offices. Some of our functions within FW aren't as integrated or automated as they should be. Please keep pace with the market for salaries and compensation for the software designers and UX in FW or we won't be able to retain talent.

Great work environment and very talented people

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- wide variety of work
    - the people make it a great place to work
    - bonus structure
    - great social environment

Cons

low base pay
    long hours
    big corporate clients= long hours,short schedules

be more involved in the whole process. Not just staffing the hours and looking at the money spent. Take the team out more after landmark deadlines.

Social office environment

Former Employee - Architectural Designer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gensler as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed how friendly and welcoming the office was, the quality of the work, different disciplines represented, and the work hard/play hard culture. Coworkers took time to teach me and took an interest in the quality of my internship.

Cons

As an intern, I wasn't assigned any design tasks and wasn't a full member of the design team (though I expected this).

Refreshing culture, great people, no limit to opportunity. Great brand.

I have been working at Gensler full-time for less than a year

Pros

Innovative, entrepreneurial and collaborative work environment/mindset.
    Smart people who are leaders in their field and approach design holistically
    Great firmwide support resources that you don't get in smaller firms
    Ability to work on projects you want to work on

Cons

One firm approach sometimes difficult to balance with local/entreprenuerial approach

Continue to drive innovation in not only design but management. Don't get stuck stale in management approach or practices.

Worked for Gensler? Contribute to the Community!