Gensler

Updated November 16, 2014
4.1

Gensler Executive Directors Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins
Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins

Pros
  • Great people, no attitudes (that;s hard to find in the architecture industry) (in 10 reviews)

• Professional growth, profit sharing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a challenge depending on the person (in 8 reviews)

• Long hours, internal politics, tends to favor extroverts over introverts (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Expand your career knowledge? Gensler is for you

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Gensler is a great teaching institution - if you have something you want to learn and be mentored for, you can do it here. Upper management is extremely interested in investing time toward employees and growing the younger generation and thier careers

Cons

There's not a ton of growth potential unless you want to go the project management route...

Don't lose the culture of Gensler, it's too important to who we are and the things we do!

Long Term Career Opportunities Abound at Gensler

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The corporate culture makes Gensler highly unique from other design firms. There's this thing called "pursuit of passion" where employees are encouraged to do what they love to do. I've never been told "no" and have built a successful career here with opportunities to morph, evolve, grow, and change over time. The firm promotes building internal relationships across the globe. Some of my best friends work at Gensler!

Cons

This is a large firm. The positive is that there are resources for every need. The negative is that there is corporate bureaucracy. Sometimes change can take a very long time to happen. Some of the top level senior leadership can get too into the weeds. They need to trust and let go of more than they do.

"Hire great people, give them some guidelines, and move out of the way"...Art Gensler

Great Workplace Culture

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, great workplace culture, driven by design, resources are vast, and provides great mentorship within. Young energetic vibe. Overtime pay is a plus as well as not many other firms provide this.

Cons

Long hours, internal politics, tends to favor extroverts over introverts. Bureaucracy tends to burden the process a bit.

Work / Life balance is hard and with internal initiatives add to the burden of the employees, it become increasingly difficult to balance.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A culture that values self-motivated people who are interested in creating great work, collaborating effectively, working independently as needed, and contributing ideas for improvement. The company encourages professional growth and acknowledges exceptional efforts across the spectrum of involvement in project work to company events.

Cons

Gensler is a big organization so it can be hard to orient yourself when you first start. However, the people are welcoming and helpful. There is a genuine enthusiasm that people have for working here.

Surrounded by amazing people and projects!

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to great talent and resources, world-class ideas, and a fun culture.

Cons

The work is a grind at times and the pressure is always on.

Give more opportunity for growth, both in types of work as well as responsibility level

It's all about growth.

Current Employee - Finance/IT in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance/IT in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consensus method of decision making means there's always room for your input. People in general are genuinely nice; being not nice is not the Gensler way. They are also usually very very good at what they do. It's growing, so there are opportunities, and also some scrambling to get things done. It works for me.

Cons

Consensus method of decision making means it takes a while to get a decision made. You really, really have to like working in groups and getting to 'yes' without an authoritarian structure. You can move around if you need to; and you might need to find the best place that 'fits' you: different offices have different personalities. That can be good or bad.

Keep moving toward a firmwide way of doing things. We will get more done more quickly. We're proud of our work.

Great Architecture firm with great community

Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Architectural Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Gensler as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Gensler genuinely cares about its culture, employees, and community. I had a great time working here, theres room for growth in the company and they don't work you to the ground (for the most part) like other architecture firms.

Cons

Not the greatest pay but far better than other firms of similar nature. Available growth but can take a lot of time.

"If you have an idea, you can make it happen" - Joan Price; Managing Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun culture. Never micro-managed. Encouragement to bring forth new ideas. Rewarding bonus structure. Potential for growth if you dare to grab it. Great friendships. Collaboration.

Cons

Often de-centralized in firm-wide initiatives, but improvements are being made all of the time.

Don't rely only on the great 50 year history that we have, continue to grow and evolve while elevating the Gensler brand.

Architectural greed - if it exists

Current Employee - Project Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get high fees from our clients and don't have to put in many man-hours or thought-effort in return. Kind of feel bad for our clients because they could do way better for what they're paying.

Cons

Don't feel very good about getting paid well to do such hasty work when some of the clients are so nice. Then there's the bad clients, and then I don't feel so bad for them.

Don't change a thing. There is some kind of magic equation going on that makes this place so profitable. If I were a better person I'd probably say we should try to provide a better product, but why bother when the clients are coming in droves for second rate copies and mish-mashes of trendy designs from 10 years ago? Innovation costs time/money, and I think this is where we save so much. And I get to go home at 5:45 like clockwork and enjoy my weekends.

My best job yet!

Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Studio Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Gensler full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The firm works on some really interesting design projects all over the world. My managers are supportive of my growth and career development. I'm surrounded by talented and competent people that are a pleasure to work with. Low stress. Great work/life balance. Lots of social activities. Lovely office. Two bonuses per year. Good retirement and medical benefits.

Cons

Pay could be more competitive. An org chart would be nice.