Gensler

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great corporate internship experience

Intern (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Gensler as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work especially for those new to the corporate lifestyle. The DC office is pretty "chill" and there's a lot of workshops and things to do outside of work. The pay is decent for an internship. A lot of opportunities to work collaboratively with other disciplines.

ConsMeetings about meetings about meetings. Too many meetings. I just want to do my work.
Wasn't a big fan of DC but the corporate lifestyle is something you get used to.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

OK

Architectural Designer (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Gensler full-time for more than a year

ProsResources, Structured Management, and Overhead Benefit

ConsHierarchy prevent staffs from professional growth

architecture

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 3 years

Prosencouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement, encouragement,

Conslow income, similar project, low income, similar project, low income, similar project, low income, similar project,

It is corporate design for corporate clients. Not a lot design or creativity. Keep it clean lines and of the book spec.

I have been working at Gensler full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat learning programs and knowledge stuff.

ConsNo back bone for Design direction. Just make client happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to pay more attention to existing employees, rather then look for new hire

Happy to come to work everyday

I have been working at Gensler

ProsGensler pays overtime which is not common for architecture firms. I am respected and treated well by my leadership and management.

ConsWorking at a larger firm is harder to get noticed and get promoted. Someone will always complain about lower salaries/raises/bonuses during this economic climate.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in the people that work for Gensler (in the way of industry conferences and events) so that they may feel valued and inspired.

The g.PDP

I have been working at Gensler

ProsThe ability to work with teams and various levels of expertise and experience is invaluable. You learn more in one day at work than several years at any university. Gensler affords the opportunity to expand your knowledge and to be exposed to various types of projects.

ConsIts a very large firm, so it takes more effort to stand out amongst the rest. If moving ahead at Gensler was based on knowledge, performance, and the potential to grow that would be amazing. More often than not, its who you work with directly that puts in a good word for you in order to move up this corporate ladder...

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor the junior/intermediate designers so that they may be able to fill your shoes in 10-15 years. Managemnet is something that needs to be instilled and trained early on, so that it enables the designers to integrate budget and staffing seemlessly into design processes.

Worked for Gensler? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gensler reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gensler CEO Andy Cohen, David Gensler & Diane Hoskins. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by Gensler employees.