Gentex (Michigan)
www.gentex.com Zeeland, MI 1000 to 5000 Employees

Gentex (Michigan) Reviews

Updated Jul 3, 2014
Gentex (Michigan) – Zeeland – “Manufacturing sites”

Gentex (Michigan) Chairman and CEO Fred T. Bauer

Fred T. Bauer

Engineering Intern

Production Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

Proslots of flexibility in hours worked as well as what your responsibilities or can be. it is up to you to go out and find a project to work on

Conspay isn't very significant and there aren't a ton of "intern" related events throughout the summer.

Advice to Senior Managementgreat. strong relationships and lots of advice given to me.

Overall, I found working at Gentex to be a positive experience

Team Member (Former Employee)
    Holland, MI

ProsI found the work environment to be very social and fun. I looked forward to going to work.

ConsTheir raise program is nothing short of insulting. I was told that, if you received a great review, you could receive up to 50 cents in a raise every 6 months. Not true. I always got glowing reviews and like 18 to 22 cent raises. There is no true advancement unless you volunteer to give up all your free time to take classes. Then you "might" get a few extra cents in your raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould really cut back on the brainwashing quarterly meetings. It's common knowledge how management rewards themselves with big nights on the town while the people on the floor get nothing.

Good company to work as an engineer.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsStarted as contractor and moved to permanent employee. Each employee is given a good share of personal responsibility. I quickly took charge of several projects and at some points even directed other engineer's efforts, even as a relatively junior engineer.

ConsWhile Gentex itself is a great company, there are some groups and individuals, even managers, who are quite pretentious. Gentex even got labeled by an external business consultant hired by upper manage as an arrogant company. However, there are many humble employees, and there is a large pool of impressive talent in the engineering dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive for excellence, but beware of pride. Even well deserved pride leave a bad taste in employees and customers proverbial mouths.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good but missed the boat.

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsBeautiful facilities. Fitness center. Options have been lucrative in recent years.

ConsCulture in decline. Stagnant innovation. For the first time, top talent is leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementAround 5 years ago, you were at a pivotal point where EC and SmeartBeam were dominating, RCD looked like it could explode and you had assets in place to expand into ADAS. As you have always done with ADAS, you failed to press the issue, again. Through a combination of mismanagement of R&D (LDW and Palantir) and a failure to do more than dip your toe in the problem space, you missed the wave.

Now, SmartBeam will be whipped by packaged ADAS feature sets on advanced cameras, RCD is being crowded out by center stack displays and you bet the farm on what? Second-hand GDO tech? Off-the-shelf ADAS integration?

What are your pillars? Uncap creativity. Be bold. Tell the truth.

love my work

Production Support Engineer (Current Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

Prosmanagement actively works to develop you in the company.

Conscommunication between all the moving parts in a medium size company.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Gentex - Huge growth potential

Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

Pros- Cares about employees
    - Based and operated out of the US
    - Huge growth potential

Cons- Somewhat limited scope in terms of products

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful facilities, very talented people, management is very accessible, communication with employees is better than most companies this size

ConsSome of the processes and procedures are unusual for a publicly traded company but come from the company's roots as a family owned company.

Love/Hate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsThe compensation / salary / quarterly profit sharing bonuses / benefits / stock options were excellent.

ConsThe cronyism and clique mentality, physical/weight/gender discrimination

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the gossip-mongers, rumor-mill enthusiasts, and head-game/politics players.

Great amount of respect for employees

Supplier Quality Engineer (Former Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsThe Gentex culture encourages respect for all employees. Most managers are unpretentious and try their best to be transparent. There is also a lot of opportunity to grow within the company.

ConsThe base salary isn't the highest, but Gentex has a profit sharing program that is extremely fair and can boost your annual income significantly.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with the 4 pillars and Gentex will stay a great place to work.

Great working environment!

Production Team Member (Former Employee)
    Zeeland, MI

ProsWonderful temperature control and facility. Great team of workers and our health amd safety are really important to the company!

ConsNone that I can think of. I enjoyed working there!

Worked for Gentex (Michigan)? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gentex (Michigan) reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gentex (Michigan) CEO Fred T. Bauer. All 44 reviews posted anonymously by Gentex (Michigan) employees.