Gentiva

Updated December 14, 2014
2.2

Gentiva President, CEO, and Director Tony Strange
Tony Strange

Pros
  • Good benefits, great local team, decent marketing supplies, sstrong name recognition (in 16 reviews)

• Hospice is a great career for any clinician who enjoys direct patient care (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Instead of salaries they now only pay on the pay per visit model (in 10 reviews)

• Promotion comes through knowing someone in upper management not by merit (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Constant chaos!

I have been working at Gentiva

Pros

Great Co workers - but they all quit now! (the good ones)

Cons

Great employees quit, and then there so many untrained new people!

This company just got bought out again by kindred. I was with Odyssey, Gentiva, and now we got bought out by Kindred. I have been with this company for 7 years. All of the people that were there for years got crapped on and quit. I too am looking for another job. My 2011 vehicle has 100,000 mi. They cheat you out of mileage and pay! No raise in 3 years! Under paid and under staffed. Our clients now hate us and we now have a bad rep. So many new people that do not know what they are doing. You should treat your long term employees like gold for their long time loyalty and dedication, not crap!

Run away!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

I have been working at Gentiva (more than 5 years)

Pros

The field staff really put their hearts into taking care of patients. The patients and their families are wonderful!

Cons

The ONLY concern is on admissions. There is no thought and no concern about how these patients will actually be taken care of once they have been admitted. The result is in staff feeling like they are giving compromised, unethical care. Our office has been understaffed for years. The response is always something about how we are fully staffed according to the corporate staffing model. That doesn't help our hospice patients and their families who expected decent care while dying. It doesn't help the staff who feel like they are failing to help these people. It is difficult to get time off. The paperwork (yes, paperwork - Gentiva still isn't using electronic charting) is reason enough to quit!

Work on staffing. Nurses should have 12 patients, not 18-20. If you have enough staff (nurses, CNAs, social workers, chaplains), you will become more competitive because customer service will be MUCH better. Improve staffing and you will improve referrals! Electronic charting is overdue!

HHA/CNA

Former Employee - CNA/HHA in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - CNA/HHA in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Gentiva part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good compensation, milage paid, friendly staff

Cons

pretty far between patients, no guarantee of hours

Money hungry company

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Gentiva

Pros

Good benefits and pay
    generous vacation

Cons

Keep raising the bar. They are all about the numbers and will work their clinicians to the bone.

Rn case manager

I have been working at Gentiva

Pros

generous with available supplies needed .

Cons

lack of communication among senior managers. Paper work galore.21st century has not arrived yet!

have an open communication amongst yourself as well as ability to listen to those that are having hands on in the field

Big Company, Big Egos, Litte Regard for Employees

I worked at Gentiva full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Sign-On Bonus, caring co-workers, Gentiva University online training portal, mileage pay was that IRS maximum.

Cons

Management didn't care about clinicians. Staff were treated like cash cows, no appreciation shown towards those who do well. Going to case conference every week was like going to the Principal's office; we were told what we were doing wrong, which form we werent using correctly, etc. Nursing staff were horrible. No clinical skill or case management know-how.

Give your field staff some credit. We are the ones doing the work to keep your year-end bonus coming. Hire better nurses. Stop going to so many meetings. It's obvious no good comes out of the meetings.

Record Profits on the Backs of their Employees

Current Employee - Field Clinician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Clinician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Gentiva full-time

Pros

I have always enjoyed delivering skilled and quality care to patients in the home setting.

Cons

Since our company was purchased by Gentiva, they have eliminating salaries, vacation times, and other benefits. Effectively all employees are asked to work without fair compensation. Instead of salaries they now only pay on the pay per visit model. Unfortunately, this place all the responsibility on the clinician for staying at their productivity expectation regardless of whether or not you are provided with patients by the office. If your productivity suffers through no fault of your own (not given enough patients, missed visits due to circumstances outside of the clinician's control) not only will your pay suffer but your benefits can be dropped. Apparently they have lost a class action law suit over this very issue but continue to decide to take the risk of not fully compensating employees for work done in good faith. Furthermore, the emphasis is no longer on patient care, rather the emphasis is on seeing the patient over a long period of time. Pushback is readily given by the office upon attempting to discharge patients according to your clinical judgement, and sometimes even when ordered by physicians to do so. Pushback is readily given when you do not accept a patient because they are technically not homebound or are inappropriate for service. They regularly say "We do the right thing at all times" but in reality do a different thing.
    There is no acknowledgment of work-life balance, there is poor communication among the office staff and field clinicians.

Remember that good clinicians are the key to a successful home health business.

Lack of communication between managers is a problem

I have been working at Gentiva (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good, if you keep your head down and do your job, and don't socialize with any coworkers, you will be okay.

Cons

Lack of training, management does not support office staff at all, if you have a difference of opinion or ideas that are contradictory to what site manager, regional managers have, they will find any way to get rid of you.

Great People. Bad Company.

I have been working at Gentiva full-time

Pros

Anyone could be assigned any task, as long as it is completed as quickly as possible

Cons

5 years of cost cutting to improve the stock price has left a skeleton staff that is constantly two feet below drowning

Evaluate the staff of companies with like size and industry, and either decide that a small employee base can only complete a small amount of work or figure out how to increase the head count to do the job you're requiring

Very difficult company to work for. Continuous restructuring of management.

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Gentiva full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent nurses, whom care tremendously for their patients and coworkers.

Cons

Due to continuous restructuring of management, chaotic work environment resulted. Unprofessional HR manager, Executive Director, as well as Patient Care Managers (continuous gossiping, HIPPA violations, hostile work environment created)

Company values do not exist. If the negative environment continues, the nurses will continue to leave. Unfortunately, upper management is fixated on admissions. There will be a decline in admissions after word of mouth circulates that Gentiva does not have the ability to provide quality nursing for existing patients. It would appear that due to upper management being in multiple different states, the Wisconsin branches are out of sight, out of mind. Maybe Kindred will straighten management.