Gentiva Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
2.4

Gentiva President, CEO, and Director Tony Strange
Tony Strange

Pros
  • Good benefits, great local team, decent marketing supplies, sstrong name recognition (in 11 reviews)

• Hospice is a great career for any clinician who enjoys direct patient care (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • We were pay per visit and were told that seeing 6 a day was productive but rarely did you get by with seeing only 6 (in 8 reviews)

• Micromanagement by Off-Site Upper Management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Gentiva took a great hospice (Odyssey) and completely destroyed it!

Former Employee - Patient Care Manager
    Former Employee - Patient Care Manager

I worked at Gentiva full-time

Pros

Sadly, I can't think of any that Gentiva hasn't destroyed - decreased benefits, destroyed working environment, poor reputation leads to hiring of under qualified staff and local managers are not equipped to train or supervise. Hiring process is a joke, regional vice presidents and area managers are unnecessary and costly level of management.

Cons

Company is now only concerned with the bottom line - no longer care about the patients or employees. Very sad! And I almost forgot -- no raises for 3 of the 5 years I worked there!

You cannot run a hospice like a home health if you want to be successful. The businesses are similar only because the patients are cared for in their own home. The goals of care are different. The regulatory expectations are different. You also need to work at identifying the wolves in sheeps clothing. There are MANY who talk the talk - and do an excellent job at it. I was unable to locate anyone in upper management (regional level and above) who could actually walk the walk. But I guess you don't really need to worry about it because all of the hospice patients will be dead anyway. They and their families are the ones being hurt!! Lastly, I do believe my work is my calling. That is why I left - caring is my calling - not providing minimal care so the stakeholders (and management) can make money!!! (On a personal level, as a PCM, I couldn't even enjoy the incentive package - the money I got was on the backs of hard working employees (who have all left!) - they got nothing, I was left with guilt!

Corporate Nightmare!

I have been working at Gentiva

Pros

- Pay Per Visit for field staff
    - Full Time Benefits
    - Multiple Locations Nationwide

Cons

- Corporate Bureacracy at its worst
    - Demands Loyalty and Gives None
    - Secretive, Deceitful, and Unaccountable Upper Management
    - Lack of Resource Personnel
    - Micromanagement by Off-Site Upper Management
    - High Turnover Rate
    - Consistently Low Morale
    - Pressure to Bend or Ignore Regulations

I would offer some advice, but they do not care to have it. We all know they are just about the $$$!

GENTIVA

I worked at Gentiva

Pros

good pto and insurance is ok

Cons

very busy job, can be quite demanding

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No way to run a company

I have been working at Gentiva

Pros

Good PTO, flexible scheduling- that's it!!

Cons

Management decisions, communication, recognition of job performance, need to be "friends" with management in order to excel in this company.

Listen to the staff about their concerns. Treat us like you want to be treated. Walk in our shoes for a day. We're out there making a difference. To many write up's for nonsense. Look at the staff that are not providing good care. Poor orientation, lack of leadership. Don't demand us to recert a patient if their goals have been met. It's all about $$$. Compensate us for going above and beyond. Make it known to other employees and cooperate. HR needs to make on site visits to branches and stop redirecting the complaint back to the branch management. Who do we go to with a problem with management bullying staff. Very mean people that only care about themselves. They're all in the wrong profession!!!!

Don't do it

I have been working at Gentiva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Generally good pay and benefits

Cons

Unethical senior leadership, overwhelming workloads, out of date technology

Consider replacing yourself with qualified leaders

Work here if you LIKE being treated like a dog, otherwise RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Gentiva full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good health insurance and PTO.

Cons

Poor work/ home life balance.
    Overtime required to complete paperwork and must be done in the office if you want to get paid for it.
    Office is located in a very poor and dangerous area in the city.
    Supervisors prone to be cliquish with some employees and non inclusive to most others, unless you suck up to them.
    Browbeating/backstabbing non-supportive management and untrustworthy coworkers.

One hand does not know what the other hand is doing: Get organized!
    Treat your nurses with the respect they deserve.
    Recognize and acknowledge the employees achievements/accomplishments regularly instead of focusing on the negatives all the time.

Hostile

I worked at Gentiva

Pros

Some good people still remain

Cons

Hostile work environment is tolerated. Staffing model is all that matters and jobs fluctuate based on current census. Frequent layoffs.

Follow your own mission statement

Home Health LPN

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Gentiva full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours. Opportunity to pick up extra patients. Good pay and benefits. Clinical ladder available to move up within your position/make more money. Often hires within for office positions.

Cons

No promise for a full patient load. Schedule changes day to day and usually you don't work only in your area. Paperwork comes home with you.

RNs need more guidance to handle their case loads more effectively.

Worked with some great people

Former Employee - RN Case Manager
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager

I worked at Gentiva full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Patient care, continued education, generous PTO, on call teams for after hours

Cons

Unreasonable expectations with paperwork and high acuity caseloads, minimal support for time management with documentation, had to do a lot of paperwork at home on my own time, pay freezes despite excellent performance reviews

Realize we are each only one person and can only give so much without wearing down.

Good people on front lines, caring for patients and working in field offices

I worked at Gentiva full-time for more than a year

Pros

Chance to make a difference for people in your local community who need home health care

Cons

Leadership out of touch with the many challenges faced in the field

Learn to advocate for home health care at Federal level, CMS' year-over-year rate cuts are decimating the home health industry

Worked for Gentiva? Contribute to the Community!