Gentiva Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
2.4

Gentiva President, CEO, and Director Tony Strange
Tony Strange

Pros
  • Good benefits, great local team, decent marketing supplies, sstrong name recognition (in 13 reviews)

• Hospice is a great career for any clinician who enjoys direct patient care (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • We were pay per visit and were told that seeing 6 a day was productive but rarely did you get by with seeing only 6 (in 9 reviews)

• Micromanagement by Off-Site Upper Management (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Company

Current Employee - Location Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Location Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Gentiva full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent paid time off, competitive salaries, lots of room for personal growth.

Cons

High pressure to "hit the numbers".

Stop acting like the company is going to fall apart if the numbers aren't hit every week.

The good, the bad, and the really bad

Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Dothan, AL
    Current Employee - RN Case Manager in Dothan, AL

I have been working at Gentiva (more than 5 years)

Pros

The staff is awesome. Loved working with the patients. Any thing outside the office!

Cons

The management both in the office and outside it is poor. They belittle and use threat tactics to manage the staff. The outrageous amount of paperwork, the large territory and the high acuity of the patients makes for long days. After working past 5 on most days then call starts. After call the on call weekends start making for exhausted burnt out employees. This however is not enough for the managers who sit in the office all day and instead of getting out helping their already strained and taxed staff they ask for more. On top of the full load they push admissions and don't have adequate staff to care for the patients they currently have. Once the patients are admitted they could care less about getting them the promised supplies, its as if they have already gotten the number/money for them and they are done. They have no loyalty to their employees.

Doesn't matter unless you are friends of theirs they don't listen anyway. We are just expendable, interchangrable, low ranking pions. Our opinions don't matter.

So, So company....not a good time to be in healthcare if you are not clinical.

Current Employee - Records Coordinator II in Mooresville, NC
    Current Employee - Records Coordinator II in Mooresville, NC

I have been working at Gentiva full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are ok, PTO is better than most unless you are a tenured employee, you actually loose PTO.

Cons

Not very good at recognizing employees for their dedication & loyalty. They spend a lot of $ on plaques and lapel pins etc. and we really just want better pay.

As the job growth increases, I foresee Gentiva losing a lot of tenured employees. We have the best office in all of NC and at least half of us are ready to leave, if we could just find something.

Lots of change here!

I have been working at Gentiva full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and good pay. Lots of locations for opportunities. Good vision to help people. That's all I can say good about the company.

Cons

Ever changing management. They seem to get rid of or scare off the good people: no salary increases to their employees.

Focus more on people

Dont do it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Gentiva full-time

Pros

Benefits. Coworkers. There are some great people here but they end up leaving because they cant deal with the high school style atmosphere.

Cons

Micromanagement, no trust in RN staff skills, NO consistencies in policies, VERY inexperienced managers who do not know how to deal with issues or day to day operations. New paperwork is a joke. This company makes millions yet the are waiting until the last minute to use EMR. No access to information makes it impossible to care for pt properly, or there is redundant visits due to no communication.

LISTEN to your staff!!! Get some management courses/skills so you can actually manage your staff. COMMUNICATE with the staff.

Gentiva took a great hospice (Odyssey) and completely destroyed it!

Former Employee - Patient Care Manager
    Former Employee - Patient Care Manager

I worked at Gentiva full-time

Pros

Sadly, I can't think of any that Gentiva hasn't destroyed - decreased benefits, destroyed working environment, poor reputation leads to hiring of under qualified staff and local managers are not equipped to train or supervise. Hiring process is a joke, regional vice presidents and area managers are unnecessary and costly level of management.

Cons

Company is now only concerned with the bottom line - no longer care about the patients or employees. Very sad! And I almost forgot -- no raises for 3 of the 5 years I worked there!

You cannot run a hospice like a home health if you want to be successful. The businesses are similar only because the patients are cared for in their own home. The goals of care are different. The regulatory expectations are different. You also need to work at identifying the wolves in sheeps clothing. There are MANY who talk the talk - and do an excellent job at it. I was unable to locate anyone in upper management (regional level and above) who could actually walk the walk. But I guess you don't really need to worry about it because all of the hospice patients will be dead anyway. They and their families are the ones being hurt!! Lastly, I do believe my work is my calling. That is why I left - caring is my calling - not providing minimal care so the stakeholders (and management) can make money!!! (On a personal level, as a PCM, I couldn't even enjoy the incentive package - the money I got was on the backs of hard working employees (who have all left!) - they got nothing, I was left with guilt!

Area support was awful.

Former Employee - Null in Nulls Crossing, WA
    Former Employee - Null in Nulls Crossing, WA

I worked at Gentiva full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Therapists and nurses were great. Patients were great. Encouraged ethical care.

Cons

Not enough staff to get all work done. PP was nasty. Expectations were not reasonable.

Listen to your directors.

confusing, puts cart before horse

Current Employee - Management in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Management in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Gentiva full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

some of the people I work with

Cons

unstable work environment, no knowledge of what actually is going on

find out what is really going on. talk with those who work at sites

Registered Nurse case manager for 2.5 years Nursing experience 40 years

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Malta, NY
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Malta, NY

I worked at Gentiva full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good insurance and PTO time. Gentiva link a plus. clinicians great and they really care about the patients.

Cons

Poor Leadership, unqualified managers that belittle you. Lack of support. Constant turnover and no one in upper management cares. A lot of work is done at home that you are not compensated for.

Trust your nurses and don't belittle them. Shadow in the field and see what it is like. Don't believe everything you hear..

This is a paranoid company.

Former Employee - Spirtual Care Coordinator in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Spirtual Care Coordinator in Savannah, GA

I worked at Gentiva full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Some of the employees are nice.

Cons

Gentiva fired all Odyssey managers. They were replaced with people who had no Hospice experience and who knew nothing about Medicare guidelines. They ruled by threats and intimidation. They believe their staff is out to get them. They believe that other hospices are conspiring against them. They feel that they have to spy on their employees. There is not an environment where you can come in an talk to management about problems.

Get a job selling used cars. Take your own course material on hospice. Get the old Odyssey material on what hospice is all about and go through it. Hire the Odyssey managers back and fire the Gentiva managers.