Gentiva

Updated August 15, 2014

2.3

Gentiva President, CEO, and Director Tony Strange
Tony Strange

Pros
  • Good benefits, great local team, decent marketing supplies, sstrong name recognition (in 11 reviews)

• Hospice is a great career for any clinician who enjoys direct patient care (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • We were pay per visit and were told that seeing 6 a day was productive but rarely did you get by with seeing only 6 (in 8 reviews)

• Micromanagement by Off-Site Upper Management (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Family atmosphere of care..

Pros

Great working environment, people are great, collabrative professional staff and associates

Cons

Corporate mandates unreasonable, out of touch corporate level, better pay incentives for associates

Get out of Atlanta and work in local offices, devise a incentive pay program for associates

Gentiva - Palm Desert, CA

Current Employee - Bereavement Coordinator  in  Palm Desert, CA
    Current Employee - Bereavement Coordinator in Palm Desert, CA

Pros

Good patients and families to work with.

Cons

No leadership skills (new management). Employees are liars, defamed other employees, two- face, back stabbers and very envious. Lack of integrity and character, no compassion most of all management lack experience.

Get rid of too many layers of Vice Presidents in the West Region. Wasting tax payers money and Medicare. Very heavy in middle management.

Worked directly with absolutely Great people but Corporate management seems completely focused on their balance sheet.

Former Employee - RN Case Manager  in  North Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in North Atlanta, GA

Pros

The character and compassion of the (disposable) people who you work with. ...... And if you like being used, lied to and then unceremoniously discarded with one day's notice & a two week severance package, Gentiva is a wonderful place.

Cons

Corporate Leadership's history (and future) of closing offices and terminating employees because last month's plan is changed to not being in this month's plan. ..... One day you're told that you're doing a great job and the next you're told that you're no longer needed. Gentiva has become a company that makes money off their employee's compassion but has no compassion for it's employees.

You're on the path to move from being the "biggest player in the market" to becoming a business school "case study" on how to completely loose sight of what made you successful. .... And changing your name to try to avoid the bad reputation you're building in the market is not "a fix".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No Pay raise in over 2 years, now cutting pay

Current Employee - Physical Therapist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Did have stable staff, but now heavy turn over. No incentives to stay with company

Cons

All management cares about is money, poor communication. HR support is worthless. No response for promised employee referral bonus, no raises and now they are talking about cutting pay so they can buy up more agencies. They should invest in their employees and grow responsibly

Grow responsibly, Too top heavy with management and programs that don't work. Administration doesn't listen to clinical needs, they are more focused about rolling out trendy programs that don't work, so marketing has something to talk about.

Sales Director

Pros

3 weeks Paid Time Off

Cons

Too much upper management and lack of quality training. A lot of turnover with sales and clinical staff due to lack of support.

Let the Heart Out

Former Employee - Corporate Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Many extremely talented people.
    Thought leaders in the industry.
    Dedicated to development of people.

Cons

Recently executive leadership has lost sight of why the people do what they do.
    Where are the clinicians in executive management roles?
    Where is your loyalty to loyal and talented employees?

Say hello to people in the elevator. They might be some of your most dedicated and productive employees.
    Listen to your heart not just your brains.

Staff very supportive.

Former Employee - RN Case Manager  in  Liverpool, NY
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Liverpool, NY

Pros

Manager very understanding and easy to communicate with.

Cons

Long hours and repetitive charting.

Value employees and understand the importance of family life.

Hostile working environment - for me

Current Employee - Care Team Coordinator  in  Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Care Team Coordinator in Roseville, CA

Pros

At first, it was great, and I created my own niche as being in charge of the medical records room, as no one else was at the time. I made sure we were in compliance with all laws

Cons

They set me up to not get my work done on time by asking me to do a lot of other things. one gal that had been there a long time apparently felt threatened by me, she was about my age and we had both gained 40 lbs. I lost mine, but she didn't. She told everyone that I was doing illegal drugs - soooo not true.

I had an excellent relationship with my boss until after 3 1/2 years, I went on a vacation. When I came back, he had somehow been turned against me and interrogated me for at least an hour about doing drugs. I am a 56-year-old grammy!!!!!

Review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clanton, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clanton, AL

Pros

Rapport with patients/families; flexibility of schedule; not stuck in an office all day.

Cons

Hard to be productive due to number of staff meetings and distractions from chatty coworkers; no private office space for phone calls, etc.

Spend a day in the shoes of the clinical staff!!

Good and Bad

Pros

Love the people and patients I work with. I have enjoyed every position I have held at the company. Good chance for promotion. Great PTO package.

Cons

Uncertainty within the company. Some elimination of positions. Poor communication when big changes are made within the company

Worked for Gentiva? Contribute to the Community!