Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Gentle Dental & Orthodontics Reviews

Updated Apr 7, 2014

John Steinbrun

Great Professional Leadership

Office Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEnvironment; Core Values; Patient Care; Team Building and Continuous improvement is the way of being

ConsPay increase % is low

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure ALL management team walking & talking with the core objective in mind.

Cost-cutting at its best

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics as a contractor

ProsIt is imperative to note that this applies to most locations throughout the state of California but especially the most metropolitan locations.
No pros to consider---Its corporate dentistry. This company attributes little value in their staffing and protocols from the ground up. Corporate minions subjugate these networked practices and everyone working within to the actuarial demands of insurance companies. Visit any office and see for yourself.

ConsIt is imperative to note that this applies to most locations throughout the state of California but especially the most metropolitan locations.
Poor facility maintenance, poor patient protocols, poor insurance plan pools, and likely the lowest compensation in the industry. This clearly reflects on patient care. Reviews for all the separate practices in various locations speak for themselves. Check all the big "review" websites and you'll read for yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is imperative to note that this applies to most locations throughout the state of California but especially the most metropolitan locations.
My advice to applicants: Consider every other option first
My advice to Steinbrun: Start over
My advice to patients: Consider carefully whom you select to render you your dental care.

great company, great people

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time

ProsI love my job! Everyone I've worked with has been nothing short of amazing. I actually feel heard here, management listens to ideas and lets us execute without any unreasonable roadblocks. You can see actual team work and feel the support at this company. No politics, no fuss, just a bunch of people working together to help this company grow.

ConsI haven't encountered any cons working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job and keep it up!

Gentle Dental is the best group dental company to work for in the US!

Dental Practice Staff Member (Current Employee)
Portland, OR

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat culture! State of the art dental practices, very skilled clinicians

ConsNo cons to write. The company is growing and going in the right direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing! It is working!!!

A patient mill

Patient Care Coordinator (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time for more than a year

ProsOverall good Dentists in the practices. Overall decent equipment and furnishings in the offices. Many different offices to move to (for staff people).

ConsPoor managment and HR practices. Basically, Gentle Dental of Oregon is a patient mill. Its all about how much you can harvest from each patient. As a PCC (Patient Care Coordinator) I felt first hand the pressure to get the numbers. There is no incentive other than the threat of being fired. And the threat is constant, employees are like patients...to be used up then discarded. The pay is low, the benefits are low and the hours demanded are very high. They expect you to work 50 to 60 hours a week including weekends. Mangement is generally of poor quality, if they know the dental business at all (and some dont) there focus is on the daily and monthly production goal, not patient care...or even doing the minimum necessary. For example, by far most "honorable" Dentists will only charge out a single restoration if there are 2 areas on a tooth that need the filling. However, at Gentle dental they charge out for two separate fillings on the same tooth. This costs the patient more in co-pay and ultimately the insurance pays more for it. Yes, it can be done...but its kind of a low thing to do. The bottom line is dont work for this company either as a staff person or a dentist. They will use you to the max and spit you out when you are exhausted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry paying the going wage for your staff. Sure the employment market is soft, so you can get away with hammering your employees, but it shows in turn-over and gives your company a bad reputation. Which so far as I can see is well deserved. The monthly goal is not the sum total of good dentistry.

Dentist salary

Dentist (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGentle dental university
Help from clinical director with legal problems.

ConsConstantly pushed for production, quality of the work doesnot matter if dentist produce money to company. Always changing staff, DA are not qualified to do their job. General dentists treated like disposable material, no base pay,if no production then 30 day notice. Company constantly looking for new dentist.

Relatively good place to work in as an associate general dentist compared to other dental companies.

General Dentist (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

Pros-Pretty good systems in place (at least compared to other dental corporations I've worked in) to help manage day to day activities.
-If full time: malpractice insurance paid for, supplies are supplied as well. Medical and dental benefits are good also, as well as other benefits one can have (it, 401K, or other retirement plans)
-Ethical place to work in (yes, believe it or not, for a dental corporation!). Good perio protocol in place. Dr is free to diagnose however they choose, so did not get too much pressure for trying to "sell" a treatment plan that wasn't of the standard of care.
-company paid CE available, especially when first starting out with the company. Basic practice management and risk management is talked about--these are things you do not get in dental school.
-yearly "getaway" meeting at a nice hotel/resort with employees from different regions and offices, and seminars/lectures from those from upper management, including the CEO. General "mission goal" explained to everyone.
-opportunity for mentorship from a senior dentist

Cons-Relatively lower pay production rate than other places. But then again, the benefits are good, so that may outweigh things.
-When I wanted to leave the company and go venture off on other opportunities, their "pep" talk for convincing me to stay was basically a conversation about how great their benefits were. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have anything better to say other than the "great" benefits they have.
-the upper management (ie, CEO, etc) speeches during the seminars are great and motivating. their ideas they had for how to better manage an office were good. The only disappointing thing I found was that those ideas I wanted to apply once I got back seemed to be "hindered" a bit by the middle management. I felt like there could be a little "cleanup" with some of the middle management employees (ie, regional managers, etc).
-you have to schedule your vacation time a year ahead! (this is for full time employees only)

Advice to Senior ManagementAs someone had mentioned before in this same thread, you need to take a harder look at what is truly going on in the offices. The high morale in an office I wanted to feel isn't quite what I felt when I went back to the office after some of the meetings/lectures/seminars I went to.

Great place to work if you want to perform same function for your entire career.

Registered Dental Hygienist (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

ProsFair/good pay ray.
Supply everything you need to perform job function.
Management is available to employee.
Co workers are relatively competent.

ConsEven though management is available, they only listen to their very "top" employees...until they get tired of hearing it. Change is resisted.
No real opportunity for advancement. For most employees, you will do the job you were hired for your entire time spent with them.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper echelon is so far removed from the clinical licensees...even though they visit the offices, have their conferences and talk a great talk...it never seems to "trickle down" to the practice level.
Real change is never achieved!

More Business Please

Office Manager (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

ProsfThe hours are very flexible and weekends off is great

ConsThe pay is low and no promotions based on work ethics,, very personal environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess personal issues and more about business

a Copycat company

Office Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

ProsManagement pay scale is good.

ConsField employees are grossly underpaid. Lack of communication between Sr Mgmt and field offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementDifferentiate yourself from other Dental Companies. Stop copying BrightNow, Western and PDS. Have a clearer long term strategy. Listen more from field workers as your middle managers are clearly out-of-touch with what exactly is going on. Show more appreciation to the dental assistants and receptionists.

Worked for Gentle Dental & Orthodontics? Contribute to the Community!

Gentle Dental & Orthodontics – Why Work for Us?

In 1978, an entrepreneurial group of dentists realized that they could focus more on the practice of dentistry if they had someone manage the business for them. Under the name of “Gentle Dental,” this group grew into a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Gentle Dental & Orthodontics CEO John Steinbrun. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Gentle Dental & Orthodontics employees.