Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

John Steinbrun

1. Feels like family

Current Employee - Corporate Management in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Management in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Teamwork and collaboration; we care about each other and we've got each other's backs.

Cons

We work really hard (but are rewarded for it.) Long hours, but it is rewarding because I feel like I'm making a difference.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ones who are closest to the job at hand, they are the experts and it will help you better support them so they can drive results.

2. Beware!

Current Employee - Front Office Receptionist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Front Office Receptionist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Pros

The coworkers are good people to work with.

Cons

The job posting said they offered training and no experience was necessary. My training only lasted half a day. I had to learn how to use the QSI system and then I was just thrown to the sharks. The upper management is horrible, they pick at every little thing and try to find excuses to criticize everyone. The wages are low for the amount of work that is required for the Front Office workers. You are required to answer multi line systems and sign up new patients/schedule appointments/answer questions, you also have to prepare new patient charts, file and pull old patient charts, take charts to the dentists when patients sign in for their appointments, pre-authorize insurances, print doctor's schedules, take payments, call patients to confirm appointments, listen to messages, prepare patient charts for the following day, etc. in a very busy office with little support and no down time. The lunches are short and the work hours are sporadic. The location I work in has no stable hours of operations. It's not the 8-5 that is posted on the door. The company only cares about production and making money and less about patient care. Have to work 90 days before benefits kick in and they are not very good benefits. Work is generally not finished on time but we do not get paid overtime. No advancement opportunities. Definitely not somewhere to work long-term.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to help the locations run more smoothly and appreciate your staff more. Offer incentives or more advancement opportunities.

Good for experience then move on...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good for experience on your cv. Good dentists and many managers are good too. No weekends!

Cons

Sr. Mgmt has huge disconnect from offices: disrespectful and secretive. Low pay raises or none at all- even with a wonderful review.
    Marketing brochures/flyers are sent to office with spelling errors.
    Poor roll-out of regional and corporate changes that affect offices directly; time and time again they have not learned how to improve this.
    New CEO has only made changes for the company to buy more offices- no changes to improve aspects that affect patients and employees.

Advice to Management

Have dentist be more involved in Sr mgmt.,
    Check with offices first before doing a major roll-out.
    Begin to care about employees.
    Adjust your pay scales to meet market wages and offer wages to staff.

Horrible unimaginable Dental chain! BEWARE AND STAY AWAY FOR THE GOOD OF YOUR HEALTH!!!

Former Intern - Dental Assistant Extern in Portland, OR
    Former Intern - Dental Assistant Extern in Portland, OR

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It's fast paced so I learned a lot in a short time.

Cons

I had to give one star but only because I had to at least choose one star.
    I was tortured at Gentle Dental!!
    I did my externship at one of the Portland Oregon area Gentle Dental offices and it was the worst experience I ever had, not only was I abused by the staff, they seemed to enjoy ganging up on me and tearing into me for no good reason, once I was yelled at and verbally abused for seating a patient when I was told to do so by one staff member and the person training me and another staff both jumped down my throat for seating the patient, she seemed to be put out that I arrested the patient For her and come to find out she was trying to get rid of me because she had recently been fired when the doctor she assisted fired her and hired the extern agree had trained. So she felt I was going to take her job because the doctor she assisted asked to have me brought on their team because he liked how fast I was learning and my work ethics, so she yelled at me for things like doing my job and following infection control protocols by wiping when things fully that had been contaminated and trying to help by organizing messy rooms. She even made me work thru my lunch breaks and many days I didn't get have lun v h, stunned days were over 12 hours, it got so bad I developed hypoglycemia and anxiety attacks and would cry in the bathroom and when I left to go home almost daily! I tried to get help from the manager and the doctor but the manager told me" that's just the way she is, she is that way with me sometimes to", I couldn't believe the lack of concern for my well-being. And when it finally took its toll on my health after 2 and a half months I could only do half days due to not knowing that I had developed hypoglycemia and having to see a doctor and go to the hospital, I asked the manager for a week to figure out what was wrong thru my doctor and she said no problem and half days would be just fine since I was a extern and not a staff member, but she lied to my face, and told Another staff that I had to go Before they fit sued, made out worse I told another staff that I wasnt getting any lunch breaks, so they called my college extern coordinator and told her to not have me come back. All my progress reports while I was there
    Showed that I was doing amazing and exceeding expectations and learning fast, so my coordinator was upset that they treated me that way! Then after I graduated one of their other offices had an ad for hire and I did An interview thinking all the offices couldn't be liked that and I would not have that issues again, but I was wrong. I was again doing awesome and the moment the staff At the other office find out I was working at one of they offices they played a nasty have of politics and fired me, they said out wad because I didn't tell them I worked for them before but I did and the manager that hired me had quit and she was supposed to call my college extern coordinator and ask questions but she didn't and they blamed me. I am disgusted with gentle dental and also would never get care there mainly because of the dirty infection control practices I witnessed quite I was there, they would wipe of bloody items And put them back in With Sterile items, I am amazed they haven't been sued for spreading diseases!!! They also only care about meeting their Quota fur the month and getting patients in and out as fast as they can to make more money, they don't show real care for patients, they don't take their time like other quality practices do, they want to see as many patients as possible In one day! Horrible just Horrible!!
    STEER CLEAR OF ASK GENTLE DENTAL OFFICES!!!

Advice to Management

Fire all office management and shady staff and hire new ones, better yet close down.

Gentle Dental & Orthodontics Response

Oct 28, 2014VP of Operations

Hello, we always appreciate feedback from all sources, and try to resolve any issues. We are Gentle Dental of New England and are unrelated to any Gentle Dental practices outside of Massachusetts ... More

Pervasive, continual mismanagement to the detriment of clinicians, staff and patients

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some long-term clinicians (dentists, hygienists, DAs) and staff who are truly committed to the care and well-being of the patients. A few dental teams are even able to thrive in spite of upper management - so the office culture and Regional Management team is extremely important to whether a new clinicians or staff members will be successful. This company also contains huge potential for changing lives for the better - if it can get the visionary leadership it deserves.

Cons

The overarching theme is that there is a long history of the management company's owners (under the name "InterDent") and senior leaders continually cutting their noses off to spite their faces in an unrelenting quest for an easy, quick profit over hard-earned, long-term gains. This is always done at the expense of the clinicians, staff and patients. The last several senior management teams have little-to-no dental background and no vision for the company other than to make it appear profitable so that it can be unloaded on the next owner (affectionately known as "the newest schmoe"). Each new management takes one of two approaches to create a false idea of profitability/success - "expand beyond our ability to financially or practically support and then implode" or "lay off, outsource, and cut supplies/staff to the bare bone so everyone's hands are tied".

The list of ongoing mismanagement practices that repeat with each management team/owner are as follows: unethical practices that turn a quick/large profit are rewarded; people who attempt to speak out against unethical practices or unfavorable working situations are either terminated from employment or frozen out; the technological infrastructure is 10-15 years outdated; people work long hours for low pay and very low % increases (if any); vital customer service functions are outsourced resulting in bad customer service and lost patients; offices are often opened without all the equipment needed for standard and emergency dental services; almost every department is under-staffed; and, there is a standard practice of paying below market wages for support staff.

While I don't believe anyone approaches this company with intentional malice, actions always prove out true intentions. The fact that the "HR" department for a 150+ office company consists of two overworked payroll staff who report to the company lawyer says a lot about this company's priorities.

If you join Gentle Dental/InterDent, expect long hours, unreasonable demands, low remuneration, high stress, little communication with upper management, and patients who desperately need you to stand up for them. You can survive by keeping your head down and your mouth shut, or you can be a Sisyphus and burn yourself out trying to change things.

Advice to Management

Get a clue, guys. Learn from the past. It's easy - take the time to find out what all the prior management teams did, how and why those things failed, and then DON'T DO THOSE THINGS. Next, go to the internet and read a couple of the many, many research studies about how the best way to earn a long-term healthcare profit is to actually EARN it by providing a great patient experience, which starts with you seeking to create a high level of employee satisfaction (yes, you have to change the way you manage an will take a lot of hard work on your part) and then uniting your clinicians and staff behind a clear, strong, communicated vision (yes, you need to come up with a vision and make all your decisions in alignment with that vision).

Seriously, if you didn't learn this in your MBA program, you should get your money back.

7. Needs to live up to company's policy and word of mouth.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Pros

Dr.Green is a very professional and caring individual Dr . that cares for his patients ., believe he is the best in what he does and is one of the persons that keeps Gentle Dental running.

Cons

Review upper management more accurately.

Advice to Management

Was told I am eligible for rehire. Have applied numerous times when they are hiring. Have not gotten a response to this day . Would like a chance to go back and work with Dr.Green and others that are still there.

Cost-cutting at its best

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics as a contractor

Pros

It is imperative to note that this applies to most locations throughout the state of California but especially the most metropolitan locations.
    No pros to consider---Its corporate dentistry. This company attributes little value in their staffing and protocols from the ground up. Corporate minions subjugate these networked practices and everyone working within to the actuarial demands of insurance companies. Visit any office and see for yourself.

Cons

Poor facility maintenance, poor patient protocols, poor insurance plan pools, and likely the lowest compensation in the industry. This clearly reflects on patient care. Reviews for all the separate practices in various locations speak for themselves. Check all the big "review" websites and you'll read for yourself.

Advice to Management

My advice to applicants: Consider every other option first
    My advice to Steinbrun: Start over
    My advice to patients: Consider carefully whom you select to render you your dental care.

Great Professional Leadership

Former Employee - Office Manager
    Former Employee - Office Manager

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Environment; Core Values; Patient Care; Team Building and Continuous improvement is the way of being

Cons

Pay increase % is low

Advice to Management

Ensure ALL management team walking & talking with the core objective in mind.

Gentle Dental is the best group dental company to work for in the US!

Current Employee - Dental Practice Staff Member in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Dental Practice Staff Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture! State of the art dental practices, very skilled clinicians

Cons

No cons to write. The company is growing and going in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! It is working!!!

A patient mill

Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Patient Care Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall good Dentists in the practices. Overall decent equipment and furnishings in the offices. Many different offices to move to (for staff people).

Cons

Poor managment and HR practices. Basically, Gentle Dental of Oregon is a patient mill. Its all about how much you can harvest from each patient. As a PCC (Patient Care Coordinator) I felt first hand the pressure to get the numbers. There is no incentive other than the threat of being fired. And the threat is constant, employees are like patients...to be used up then discarded. The pay is low, the benefits are low and the hours demanded are very high. They expect you to work 50 to 60 hours a week including weekends. Mangement is generally of poor quality, if they know the dental business at all (and some dont) there focus is on the daily and monthly production goal, not patient care...or even doing the minimum necessary. For example, by far most "honorable" Dentists will only charge out a single restoration if there are 2 areas on a tooth that need the filling. However, at Gentle dental they charge out for two separate fillings on the same tooth. This costs the patient more in co-pay and ultimately the insurance pays more for it. Yes, it can be done...but its kind of a low thing to do. The bottom line is dont work for this company either as a staff person or a dentist. They will use you to the max and spit you out when you are exhausted.

Advice to Management

Try paying the going wage for your staff. Sure the employment market is soft, so you can get away with hammering your employees, but it shows in turn-over and gives your company a bad reputation. Which so far as I can see is well deserved. The monthly goal is not the sum total of good dentistry.

Gentle Dental & Orthodontics Photos

Having fun at the Riverside Mariachi Festival
Taken at the Mariachi Festival 2013
From Gentle Dental Blog. How a Visit to a dental office changed a patient's life.

+ Add Photo