Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Updated April 4, 2015
15 reviews filtered by
2.4
John Steinbrun

Gentle Dental is the best group dental company to work for in the US!

Current Employee - Dental Practice Staff Member in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Dental Practice Staff Member in Portland, OR

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture! State of the art dental practices, very skilled clinicians

Cons

No cons to write. The company is growing and going in the right direction.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! It is working!!!

2. Feels like family

Current Employee - Corporate Management in Vancouver, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Management in Vancouver, WA

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Teamwork and collaboration; we care about each other and we've got each other's backs.

Cons

We work really hard (but are rewarded for it.) Long hours, but it is rewarding because I feel like I'm making a difference.

Advice to Management

Listen to the ones who are closest to the job at hand, they are the experts and it will help you better support them so they can drive results.

Great Professional Leadership

Former Employee - Office Manager
    Former Employee - Office Manager

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Environment; Core Values; Patient Care; Team Building and Continuous improvement is the way of being

Cons

Pay increase % is low

Advice to Management

Ensure ALL management team walking & talking with the core objective in mind.

5. Needs to live up to company's policy and word of mouth.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Pros

Dr.Green is a very professional and caring individual Dr . that cares for his patients ., believe he is the best in what he does and is one of the persons that keeps Gentle Dental running.

Cons

Review upper management more accurately.

Advice to Management

Was told I am eligible for rehire. Have applied numerous times when they are hiring. Have not gotten a response to this day . Would like a chance to go back and work with Dr.Green and others that are still there.

Relatively good place to work in as an associate general dentist compared to other dental companies.

Current Employee - General Dentist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - General Dentist in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

-Pretty good systems in place (at least compared to other dental corporations I've worked in) to help manage day to day activities.
    -If full time: malpractice insurance paid for, supplies are supplied as well. Medical and dental benefits are good also, as well as other benefits one can have (it, 401K, or other retirement plans)
    -Ethical place to work in (yes, believe it or not, for a dental corporation!). Good perio protocol in place. Dr is free to diagnose however they choose, so did not get too much pressure for trying to "sell" a treatment plan that wasn't of the standard of care.
    -company paid CE available, especially when first starting out with the company. Basic practice management and risk management is talked about--these are things you do not get in dental school.
    -yearly "getaway" meeting at a nice hotel/resort with employees from different regions and offices, and seminars/lectures from those from upper management, including the CEO. General "mission goal" explained to everyone.
    -opportunity for mentorship from a senior dentist

Cons

-Relatively lower pay production rate than other places. But then again, the benefits are good, so that may outweigh things.
    -When I wanted to leave the company and go venture off on other opportunities, their "pep" talk for convincing me to stay was basically a conversation about how great their benefits were. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have anything better to say other than the "great" benefits they have.
    -the upper management (ie, CEO, etc) speeches during the seminars are great and motivating. their ideas they had for how to better manage an office were good. The only disappointing thing I found was that those ideas I wanted to apply once I got back seemed to be "hindered" a bit by the middle management. I felt like there could be a little "cleanup" with some of the middle management employees (ie, regional managers, etc).
    -you have to schedule your vacation time a year ahead! (this is for full time employees only)

Advice to Management

As someone had mentioned before in this same thread, you need to take a harder look at what is truly going on in the offices. The high morale in an office I wanted to feel isn't quite what I felt when I went back to the office after some of the meetings/lectures/seminars I went to.

Great place to work if you want to perform same function for your entire career.

Former Employee - Registered Dental Hygienist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Registered Dental Hygienist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Pros

Fair/good pay ray.
    Supply everything you need to perform job function.
    Management is available to employee.
    Co workers are relatively competent.

Cons

Even though management is available, they only listen to their very "top" employees...until they get tired of hearing it. Change is resisted.
    No real opportunity for advancement. For most employees, you will do the job you were hired for your entire time spent with them.

Advice to Management

Upper echelon is so far removed from the clinical licensees...even though they visit the offices, have their conferences and talk a great talk...it never seems to "trickle down" to the practice level.
    Real change is never achieved!

a Copycat company

Current Employee - Office Manager
    Current Employee - Office Manager

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Pros

Management pay scale is good.

Cons

Field employees are grossly underpaid. Lack of communication between Sr Mgmt and field offices.

Advice to Management

Differentiate yourself from other Dental Companies. Stop copying BrightNow, Western and PDS. Have a clearer long term strategy. Listen more from field workers as your middle managers are clearly out-of-touch with what exactly is going on. Show more appreciation to the dental assistants and receptionists.

More Business Please

Former Employee - Office Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Pros

fThe hours are very flexible and weekends off is great

Cons

The pay is low and no promotions based on work ethics,, very personal environment.

Advice to Management

Less personal issues and more about business

10. Beware!

Current Employee - Front Office Receptionist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Front Office Receptionist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics

Pros

The coworkers are good people to work with.

Cons

The job posting said they offered training and no experience was necessary. My training only lasted half a day. I had to learn how to use the QSI system and then I was just thrown to the sharks. The upper management is horrible, they pick at every little thing and try to find excuses to criticize everyone. The wages are low for the amount of work that is required for the Front Office workers. You are required to answer multi line systems and sign up new patients/schedule appointments/answer questions, you also have to prepare new patient charts, file and pull old patient charts, take charts to the dentists when patients sign in for their appointments, pre-authorize insurances, print doctor's schedules, take payments, call patients to confirm appointments, listen to messages, prepare patient charts for the following day, etc. in a very busy office with little support and no down time. The lunches are short and the work hours are sporadic. The location I work in has no stable hours of operations. It's not the 8-5 that is posted on the door. The company only cares about production and making money and less about patient care. Have to work 90 days before benefits kick in and they are not very good benefits. Work is generally not finished on time but we do not get paid overtime. No advancement opportunities. Definitely not somewhere to work long-term.

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to help the locations run more smoothly and appreciate your staff more. Offer incentives or more advancement opportunities.

Good for experience then move on...

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Gentle Dental & Orthodontics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good for experience on your cv. Good dentists and many managers are good too. No weekends!

Cons

Sr. Mgmt has huge disconnect from offices: disrespectful and secretive. Low pay raises or none at all- even with a wonderful review.
    Marketing brochures/flyers are sent to office with spelling errors.
    Poor roll-out of regional and corporate changes that affect offices directly; time and time again they have not learned how to improve this.
    New CEO has only made changes for the company to buy more offices- no changes to improve aspects that affect patients and employees.

Advice to Management

Have dentist be more involved in Sr mgmt.,
    Check with offices first before doing a major roll-out.
    Begin to care about employees.
    Adjust your pay scales to meet market wages and offer wages to staff.

Gentle Dental & Orthodontics Photos

Having fun at the Riverside Mariachi Festival
Taken at the Mariachi Festival 2013
From Gentle Dental Blog. How a Visit to a dental office changed a patient's life.

+ Add Photo