Genuine Parts

Tom Gallagher

The new Kmart

Director (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsStable, traditional company that has been around forever. Conservative financial management that moves slow and don't take many risks.

ConsThe company was innovative in the early years (from the 20's maybe to the 70's) but successive management got content giving maintenance to the "status quo" hence the total lack of imagination I believe will make this company become a new Kmart. The business model is changing and current management will never be able to react to it. Very old school and stuck in the past with a very high opinion of themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew blood is needed to revitalize or change an old business model before is too late.

Horrible-learn to treat people right. Educated people!! Not the place for you!

Atlanta, GA

ProsNo education=great place to work.
    Bullies Welcomed!
    Great stock prices.

ConsDoes not pay well
    Has business culture from the 1920s
    Employees bully other employees and so does management
    No room for growth
    Discrimination against accents
    Micromanaged very much

Advice to Senior ManagementWow. Please get a grip.

Terrible experience

Shared Services (Former Employee)
    Duluth, GA

ProsSalary on the low side of ok

ConsThe software used is antiquated. Processes are cumbersome, no use of best practices or even employee teams for finding a better way. There is no professional training other than co workers training when they have time. There Was some nice people, BUT there was also some very rude nasty people, that management allowed to behave badly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend some money on your programs- allow your employees to contribute to streamlining processes. HR, your office has a revolving door- constantly loosing employees. Have you thought that maybe it is not the newly hired employees. Perhaps you need to be more thorough in skill matching. Remember that people are people and lastly a diverse workplace works, celebrate the differences.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I worked at GPC for ten years

Programmer (Current Employee)
    North Atlanta, GA

ProsI was paid a fair amount for short term.

Cons- Management exists to defend management at all cost. HR bureaucracy exists to blame the victim and sweep management's serious violations under the rug. If it isn't criminal, the company doesn't care. Management is basically full of uneducated pencil pushers that under perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, they don't do anything with the right advice.

Don't you know that People are your most valuable asset!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsStable company with strong NAPA name recognition.

ConsWeak incompetent management at all levels. Very unethical and disrespectful to their employees. The 'good ole boy' culture is alive and well; even with a female CIO who has not been able to deliver as promised. Employee morale is low and turnover is high because the same incompetent, inexperienced, and uneducated people continue to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to open their eyes and stop the lies. You know your flagship development product is the Titanic!

Horrible

ProsThe bi-weekly pay structure was nice because it allowed you to save money, versis blowing it on nothing.

ConsThe upper Management would not provide feedback frequent enough and would blow up on you for nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep you game up boys.

I Have Nightmares That I Still Work There

Purchasing Agent (Former Employee)
    Naperville, IL

ProsYour nine bosses typically stay out of your way and are too timid to communicate vital updates or resolve personnel issues. This allows one to surf the internet, relax on IM with friends, or read e-books all day. Another pro was getting to meet so many people. The turnover in my dept. was so high that many were surprised I stayed through lunch my first day. Lastly, the job was so redundant and simple that an idiot could do it - and that's exactly who you'll be surrounded by in your department.

ConsThe largest con was the dread I faced every morning knowing that I'd have to endure one more day of the mundane at a laughably bad salary. I still have recurring nightmares, you know the one's where they seem "real," where I still work there and wake up in a panic. I will likely face these nightmares the rest of my life. There were so many rules. Employees would be "disciplined" for leaving their desks too often. Lastly, the company uses outdated methodology, procedures, and technology, and flat out pretends revitalization or progressive thought exists.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease realize how low you pay compared to the industry averages. Please realize that your employees want to give more but will not if there is not a willingness to challenge those employees or offer them more than the hopes of a free turkey at Thanksgiving.

Large company operated as if it is a small private company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsIf one is a worker bee who is has a high degree of self-efficacy, this is a good fit.

ConsIneffective job aligning with GAAP at the subsystem level. Could run more efficiently and add value to its stakeholders if it instituted consistent policies, procedures and guidelines across functional areas.

For the past two years, there has been a higher than average turnover. There appears to be a disconnect between organizational strategy and the subsystem management. Change is being touted; however, the words and actions are not in sync. Lower level management is not empowered nor have the lattitude to manage effectively and innovation does not appear to be valued. This appears to be an organization that is unsure of its organizaitonal identity.

Susbystem management does not inspire trust in employees, as if management itself is unsure of the direction of the company or unsure of how to align the subsystem with the strategic direction of the company.

Employee morale is extremely low and at atmosphere of distrust and uncertainty exists. HR and management at the subsystem level inspires an "us" against "them" dynamic Subsystem management appears to be inept at developing and keeping good people. The subsystem appears to have difficulty quantifying production and attributing weights.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in process improvement expertise, invest in updating technology, bring transactional operations into the current decade (value innovation). Invest in management who have the technical aptitude and capabilities but also the soft skills that facilitate developing people.

bad

Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsSome good people work there

ConsPoor mgt that is not IT informed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring some people in who know how to get things done in IT and not auto parts.

GPC/NAPA

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat working atmosphere and co workers, many friends made working there. Great bonus program expecially EOY.

ConsVery demanding houres one cannot balance personal life and professional career with expectations to succed with company basically all take and no give. Management tries to motivate with intimdation very little praise given. Promotions given "good ole boys club" fashion.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour only as good as your people, you are losing many years of experiance. Open your eyes and stop being so proud.......for the sake of the company's future.

Worked for Genuine Parts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Genuine Parts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Genuine Parts CEO Tom Gallagher. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Genuine Parts employees.