Genus plc

3.8

Genus plc Chairman John Hawkins
John Hawkins
1 Rating

Familial atmosphere, flexible hierarchy, but distant top management and Board of Directors

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at Genus plc

Pros

Enjoyable folks to work with. Lots of opportunity to try new things. If you have a good idea, chances are management will let you try it out. Benefits more generous than most US companies. HR can be very flexible and try hard to move employees to where they feel they'll work best.

Cons

Somewhat distant top management (titles that begin with 'Chief'). IT dept can be very rigid and inflexible at times. Experiences vary vastly for farm employees, sales, office and science. Sometimes justifying small costs is more difficult than larger costs.

Spend more time with employees below mid management. Establish a way for us to recommend more streamlined paths to get work done better and faster. Give IT folks more room to be flexible to individual departmental needs.

Genus plc is a world class leader in developing porcine and bovine genetics and a geat employer.

Current Employee - Senior IS Technical Analyst in Hendersonville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior IS Technical Analyst in Hendersonville, TN

I have been working at Genus plc

Pros

Genus plc is on the world leader in pork and dairy cattle production. I was proud to be an employee. The C level staff maintain a very lean business. In IT, the management understand the marriage of family and a productive employee. I was able to work from home 4 out of 5 days a week. I was on call 24 x 7 and when I worked outside of normal business hours I was able to take that time in the form of compensatory time off. One great benefit for working for the PIC arm of the business is the ability to purchase at 1/2 market cost 2 hogs per year.

Cons

The group as a whole likes to talk decisions to death. It is a painful and agonizing process to make a decision. To the tune of discussing the same solution 10 - 15 times after an initial decision was made. Some personnel decisions appeared to be "part of the ol' boy network".

Don't make personnel decisions based upon emotion. Also, when letting a person go when due to "out sourcing" why not talk to that person before it is done and discuss potentially other areas where that person may be able to benefit the company.

Ego driven mgmt

I worked at Genus plc

Pros

Bio Technology is top notch
    Location

Cons

Snr mgmt dysfunctional
    system technology low

consider the company, not your own ego