Genzyme Pharmaceuticals

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Hayden

Very interesting work, terrific people, recognition at some levels for job well done.

Technical Writer (Current Employee) Allston, MA

ProsThe variety of projects has been great; there is so much to learn, it's an enriching environment.

ConsMiddle management getting squeezed way too hard, a lot of fine people have left, not sure where this will leave a lot of us who work under that level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive managers the resources they need to do a great job; don't pull them in so many different directions, so they can mentor their people and thereby make everyone more productive and boost morale.

They were quite disorganized. It was a time of upheaval and stress where many people were shown the door at this time.

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThere is nothing great that I can say about this organization.

ConsThere computer systems was from the early 2000's. Also there were too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

It Could Still be a Great Company

ProsGood salaries and respect of employees' time. Excellent 401k, with company matching 1.5x up to 9%, I believe it is.

ConsEmployees are not recognized proportionally for their merits. Advancement is largely based on networking and "buttering up." Recognition for merits requires going far above and beyond, and even then there is no guarantee it will matter come review time. Raises are meager.

There's a good amount of talking about one another that goes on. It sometimes feels a bit like high school all over again. This place seems to have an ego problem... everyone thinks they're the bee's knees and has to constantly validate that belief.

Unfortunately, I've heard it's not the company it used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so charmed by that pair of lips on your rump. Some of the best employees, with some of the best ideas, are those who come here every day, quietly do their work, and go home.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great company

Director Medical Affairs (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGenzyme used to reward its employees for both performance and loyalty. The people were encouraged to be creative, innovative and entrepreneurial. Leadership under Sanofi has had a huge negative effect on these values, and instead focuses on process and rigidity.

ConsGenzyme is no longer loyal or friendly to its employees, holding them to Draconian noncompete and non disclosure agreements, and suing anyone who dares to leave to pursue other opportunities. No other Cambridge-based biotech company enforces these agreements with so much aggression.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut patients and your employees first and the profits will come. Putting profits first will ensure that Sanofi/Genzyme will fail as Sanofi was prior to the acquisition.

Great science, innovative marketing, changes to come with Sanofi acquisition

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally smart and enthusiastic people in the research areas. Great diversity of scientific interests and great success in developing treatments for important rare diseases.

ConsA lot of politics in the business areas and upper management. Capitalism [high price of treatments], regulations, and rigor of the biopharmaceutical industry make the work complex and require patience to see long-term results

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully, Sanofi will preserve the assets that make/made Genzyme such a successful company. Keep the connections with academic science, and with patient populations and recognize that these will have long-term positive effects for the company - satisfaction and retention of work force and high quality research - even though it requires higher expenditures in the short run.

Cutting edge biopharma company with great products and pipeline

Product Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsHigh energy, great people. Great perks and benefits.

ConsToo much upheaval and change to ever get things done effectively

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all of the change! Let people work the strategy!

Ok job Good benefits and compensation

Facilities Engineer (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGreat benefits and compensation. Work/life balance is ok

ConsPoor middle and upper management. Lack of communication between departments, employees and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFill holes in management and communicate more with other departments and employees.

review

Regional Sales Representative (Current Employee) Charleston, SC

ProsBenefits, salary, associates strategic plan.

ConsCorporate managers tend to be micromanagers.

Negative

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsThe company was fantastic prior to being sold... Now it is unworkable.

ConsSanofi clearly has no idea what they are doing or where they are headed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck.

Worked for Genzyme Pharmaceuticals? Contribute to the Community!