Genzyme

Genzyme Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Genzyme CEO Christopher A. Viehbacher

Christopher A. Viehbacher

Pros
  • Pace allows for strong work/life balance and flexibility to often work remote as needed(in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is overly focused on metrics(in 10 reviews)

• years, management promoted based on years of service rather than merit, terrible work/life balance, stagnant career growth since Sanofi acquisition(in 4 reviews)

Excellent Co-op program for graduate students!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGood working environment in both labs and office cubes, interesting projects, nice people!

ConsCareer development is slow

Good company, good experience

ProsPros: work-life balance, bonus structure, dedicated staff and great projects to work on
    - High potential for career growth and development, you may just have to seek it out yourself depending on your manager

ConsCons: There is a sense that there is too much focus on cutting back on staffing
    -sometimes unclear decision making throughout the ranks lead to issues
    - some business practices are efficient, while others are burdened by bureaucracy/ wasted resources
    -Constant changes to SOP's and training department, often multiple people will say to fill out different SOP's for the completing the same training task, leading to confusion and extra paperwork.

Keep Changing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, good working environment, the cafeteria with an overlook of Charles river is nice, location is good too, keep changing for good,

ConsAlthough the town hall meetings are good, lack of next level of communication.
    Although keep changing in a right direction is good, employee get confused when the lower level of communication is absent.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the middle level of management communicate more often.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Research Associate

Senior Research Associate (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGood mid-level management. Competitive industry compensation.

ConsVery low ceiling for mid-level associates.

Great Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSmart, talented group of people

ConsHigh turnover, very complicated systems and policies. Very big company that requires multiple input to complete tasks

Advice to Senior Managementemployee satisfaction

Lacking true leadership

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsSome good people, some good scientific knowledge, people very dedicated to the company

ConsLack of leadership, long hours/little work-life balance (many of the "in" people practically live there), very political environment, little recognition/appreciation, poor control of management processes

Advice to Senior ManagementTake control, or get out of the way.

Best review ever

Principal Research Associate (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

Prospaycheck, good 401K, time off, noble mission

Consprocurement woes, health insurance, lack of carrer advancement structure

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on managing

Great if you can ignore the Corporate BS

ProsGreat benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies. Health premiums are affordable and based on pay and family size. In the office environment work hours are flexible and you have the ability to work from home part of week either regularly or on occasion as needed. Colleagues are dedicated, care about the work they do, and support each other, great team atmosphere. The work on my project is challenging, and I am never bored. The office space is pleasant, even in the cube farm. Overall the pros outweigh the BS in the cons section. Seriously, I love my job and working here despite the things in the "Cons" section. My team is great, the benefits are great, and I love the work I do, and that counts for a lot even when I can't give many stars on some of the individual ratings.

ConsRaises were cut drastically and do not keep pace with the rise in COL. My co-workers refer to them as "pay cuts" for this reason. There is now more use of contractors rather than giving great workers perm jobs. My team is down to 2 employees, both hired prior to integration. All other positions have been lost or converted into contractor positions as they were vacated by regular employees. My division needs a long term stable team, not temporary workers. The inability to hire regular employees has left us dealing with turnover and difficulty in attracting people with the experience and skills we need. We are often short on resources, and unable to keep up with the workload, seem to be in a constant training mode. Once we have someone up to speed, they either leave for a regular position elsewhere or a more lucrative contract. That's the nature of using contractors. This is totally appropriate for some work, but not in my division and it is costing the company piles of money in lost productivity and lost talent.

As other people have mentioned communication leaves a lot of be desired, especially around changes and moves. Some decisions seem to be nonsensical from any possible perspective (removing all plastic ware, plates, napkins, and milk/cream service from the kitchenettes to "save money" but then replacing all of the water coolers with even fancier models WTH?) We face constant budget cuts and had a hiring freeze, but apparently we can now enjoy corporate jet service at a premium cost for commuting between Boston and NJ and we needed fancy big monitors on every floor rotating messages too fast too be able to read. It's entirely possible one morning you will boot up your computer and not be able to access programs you need to do your work. IT support (or lack there-of) will make you want to cry into your keyboard. Critical issues can be left for a month or longer and need to be escalated by upper management to get any kind of response, even when employees are literally unable to work until the issue is fixed.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication and re-examine some of these business decisions that are likely actually costing money rather than saving it. Stop making IT and accounting decisions in a vacuum that end up having critical impact on employee's ability to get work done. Rethink all using outsourcing and contractors where it's clearly not beneficial. If you want to compete with Google for talent, you first need to make jobs available, period. You can't attract the superstars when you refuse to offer them regular jobs in the first place.

Fairly typical for a big company

Compliance Specialist QA (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsBenefits are not bad, nice campus

ConsTop-heavy beaurocracy, extremely silo-ed culture.

Overly Conservative, Overly Bureaucratic

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Allston, MA

ProsGreat Benefits and great people

ConsToo much red tape. Too much waste

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a better understanding of the unintended consequences before making decisions that overpromise and underdeliver.

Worked for Genzyme? Contribute to the Community!