Genzyme Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
3.3

Genzyme CEO Christopher A. Viehbacher
Christopher A. Viehbacher

Pros
  • Pace allows for strong work/life balance and flexibility to often work remote as needed (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is overly focused on metrics (in 10 reviews)

• years, management promoted based on years of service rather than merit, terrible work/life balance, stagnant career growth since Sanofi acquisition (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a great place to work.

Current Employee - Principal Animal Technologist  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Animal Technologist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pleasant work environment. The company encourages furthering employee knowlege and education. Managers are supportive and flexible.

Cons

Commute can be a challenge.

wonderful people

I have been working at Genzyme as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

great people, good leadership, rewarded by management for good work done

Cons

sometimes work-life balance has to be compromised to fit in with the manufacturing schedule

Genzyme culture

Current Employee - Associate Director  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of innovation and patient focus.

Cons

some resistance to adopting new processes/technologies in older, established rare diseasse teams.

communicate more with employees. clarify company vision, so we can get onboard.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not much attention, worked on a small project.

Former Employee - Software Intern  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Software Intern in Framingham, MA

I worked at Genzyme as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I had a very friendly manager and team, and they made sure to spend plenty of time with me and ensure that I was getting the most out of my internship. The cafeteria is very convenient and the food is quite good. The building is beautiful and a fun place to work in. Finally, Genzyme's mission is great and the dedication to patients and science is visible in many employees.

Cons

I worked as a software engineering intern, and some of the technology used at Genzyme is a bit outdated. It's also a very corporate culture, which I did not like.

Do more fun stuff for employees.

Good pay but got burnt out.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Genzyme pays good hourly wages and offers a great benefits package. If you are in Manufacturing they offer differentials on 12 hour shifts and plenty of over time......If you are into that type of thing.

Cons

Very repetitive. Had to leave after several years of doing the same exact thing. There is a high turnover rate of Manufacturing Associates which leads to being short help on the floor. Do not expect to take breaks or lunch at a set time during the twelve hour day. Have often worked up to eight hours without a break. This can be the norm and almost expected when busy.
    Manufacturing is also excluded during recognition events even though they are the ones that do all the heavy lifting and make the product. Go figure!

Maybe consider different shifts. It seemed to me a lot of my coworkers where burnt out and morale was definitely low. I would work for this company again but definitely NOT in Manufacturing.

Great place before Sanofi

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good salary nice perks! Amazing company before Sanofi!

Cons

No growth unless you are French now that it is owned by Sanofi!

Genzyme Framingham

Current Employee - Quality Control Manager  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Quality Control Manager in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are small pockets of excellent people that are truly focused on doing what's right. The science is excellent and is the major attraction that keeps people.

Cons

Constantly reorganizing.. political environment.. poor leadership.. high turnover.. low pay.. It's the kind of place where you go to get experience and then move on.

Put the senior leadership team under a magnifying glass and look at them objectively. You may be very surprised at what you discover. Peal back the political layer. Look at the redundancy in the management structure. There's some obvious reasons why the turnover is so high. Hold the management staff and SLT accountable for all the business results, not just a handful of metrics.

Great environment

I have been working at Genzyme as a contractor

Pros

State of the art facility, professional setting - the corporate office has a positive/energetic buzz to it, impressed with the quality of all employees I've encountered, compensation is very competitive.

Cons

The company seems to be contracting out a lot of its work, which leads to less training, company support and personal growth.

Hire and retain full time employees. The company is great to work for, but the element of being part of the team (part of the company) is greatly reduced when you're a contractor because you are always looking down the line knowing that you'll be job searching again soon.

fair enough for new entry level

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than a year

Pros

fair enough as entry level. time off policies is depended on supervisors

Cons

very limited personal growth and dissatisfied with leadership teams

Vision employees as individual value but not only focus on the group profit.

Top heavy culture brings down the organization as a whole.

Former Employee - Quality
    Former Employee - Quality

I worked at Genzyme full-time

Pros

Since the Sanofi acquisition the culture, the tools, and the benefits are now headed towards outstanding. No doubt this was the worst part about leaving, the potential for a great company to grow with.

Cons

Unfortunately, this growth is a process and during that time it can be messy. At Ridgefield the facility is very top heavy; the politics is thick, and wouldn't be so much of an issue if the people below didn't suffer as a consequence. Every year we did better, and every year we had to save money so raises were skimpy; yet the "teacher's pets" received substantial bonuses and promotional opportunities (public knowledge because of the politics). Often those that developed within the facility are those who posed little to no threat to upper management. Understandable but to maintain progress the burden falls into the laps of the lower level employees with little to no recognition, because those in supervisory or new management positions lacked the skills needed to perform the job well.

There is a striking shift in values due to the Sanofi acquisition and there seems to be tension from upper management. Accountability seems to have reappeared in their realm, and they are nervous. In a few years, if Sanofi does what they should to ensure consistent progress and growth (of both the company and employees), this will be a great place to work.

Recognition is lacking. Paying below market salaries and leveraging politics to ensure your personal bonus is both morally weak, and shameful. Take an honest look at what opportunities are available should you invest in your employees, and not your egos.

Worked for Genzyme? Contribute to the Community!