Genzyme

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015
3.3

David Meeker

Pros
  • Work/life balance: You can work from home almost anytime you want (in 14 reviews)

• Genzyme pays good hourly wages and offers a great benefits package (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The acquisition by Sanofi has started to change the culture to one more akin to big pharma (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management not clearly focused on improving operations (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Genzyme: Excellent Company

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Excellent company and strong commitment to patients.

Cons

None. I am very satisfied

Genzyme R&D Center

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Innovative science, great vacation policy.

Cons

Sanofi bureaucracy has ruined Genzyme. Difficult to accomplish anything without a great deal of paperwork, and senior management can't seem to settle on a set of project criteria or department structure.

Change of corporate culture

Current Employee - Principal Research Associate in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Research Associate in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are two major perks of working at Genzyme. The first is a generous vacation package, which includes an end-of-year shutdown. The other is a good 401(k) matching program.

Cons

The old system of merit-based annual compensation seems to be a thing of the past. Raises are now extremely low for everyone across-the-board. There isn't as much motivation to push oneself, except out of a sense of "company loyalty," by which Genzyme has far overplayed its hand.

I would like to see management return to the structure of merit-based raises and compensation for its high performers, and do away with the current "9-box" system of annual reviews in which people are forced into the same generic "standard" bracket, regardless of their actual performance.

Genzyme at 500 Kendall Street Cambridge is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful building, catering on-site, food and parking subsidized, training opportunities encouraged

Cons

too much work to do, jobs are being cut and not enough people left to do all the work

Please encourage senior management to pay closer attention to the work loads of the staff.

It was a good setup with good coordination amongst departments

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

personal growth, good working environment

Cons

lack of time effectiveness and company values

Good Company

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

At least the area I was in, great team and management.

Cons

Company seems to be stuck in a past decade with some archaic policies and work environment.

Better communication.

Great place to work, learn and develop

Former Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management cares about the employees and puts a lot of energy into ensuring both growth and job satisfaction. Benefits were beyond great.

Cons

Really challenging IT protocols almost to the point it disrupts the ability to get work done. Change is very slow as there are multiple levels to go through for review/approval.

Ensure communication remains good and your teams will continue to support you.

Most despised company in Boston biotech

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits were very good. One hundred fifty (150) percent match on 401(k), but you have to stay 2 years. Easy commute to Framingham - right off the Mass Pike.

Cons

Glassdoor is asking me, "What are some of the challenges of working here?" I don't know where to start.

I've been gone over a year and have met many former Genzyme employees and they all say the same thing,,,they hated the place. Completely overworked, no Human Resources Department, broken systems (takes three hours for a 20 minute task), grossly inexperienced management, employee training of very poor quality (read poorly written procedures and take exams with incorrect answers), unrealistic goals and objectives based on resources available, etc. Forget employee development and retention.

A totally bad attitude permeated the place. I learned quickly that "failure is not an option." Mike Dukakis said that the "fish rots from the head down" and it sure does at Genzyme. Vendors commonly do not get paid for three months or more. Projects get modified by Genzyme management but then they won't extend the schedule, so 16-18 hour days become common. I recently heard that some Allston departments are working seven days a week, 12 hours a day. For what? Is the objective that critical? Must be, because metrics were universally important.

Genzyme's culture is probably something like a car dealership. Employees are considered non-returning customers, so who cares how they are treated.

One thing - Genzyme is probably very good for an entry-level or hourly employee. You do your job (or learn your job), then check out after 40 hours or pull down some overtime.

Finally, I wonder if some of these "good" reviews are shills...put up here by Genzyme management to (artificially) promote the "Genzyme image."

It's pay me now or pay me later. Explain the turnover. It's your employees who will carry you into the next decade. You have no pipeline and better, cheaper therapeutics are coming from your competitors.

Good Company but it seems that the golden days are mostly behind

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Opportunities to learn. Lots of small perks that could be good if management would use them to show appreciation for the hard work. Upper management is trying to fix issues but that doesn't trickle down to all levels.

Cons

It is expected to work long hours thus no work life balance. Management will not help with career development. Office politics are prevalent and can determine one's career. Training takes a long time which makes it very difficult to get new personnel onboard quick.

Listen to the people on the floor and make changes quick. All the good employees are leaving and leaving a lot of not so good ones behind. Makes it very hard to get the job done.

Living on past glory

Former Employee - Quality Systems Engineer in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Quality Systems Engineer in Allston, MA

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

See future case studies as they are unfolding

Cons

Toxic environment, rubric by which upward mobility is assessed is highly unclear, nepotism is a massive problem

Genzyme Photos