Genzyme

Genzyme Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Genzyme CEO Christopher A. Viehbacher

Christopher A. Viehbacher

Pros
  • Pace allows for strong work/life balance and flexibility to often work remote as needed (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is overly focused on metrics (in 10 reviews)

• years, management promoted based on years of service rather than merit, terrible work/life balance, stagnant career growth since Sanofi acquisition (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Ridiculously unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and a LEED building

ConsEverything else; training department was understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to engage your audience

Weak management; terrible work/life balance; lack of accountability

Quality (Former Employee) Allston, MA

ProsGenzyme has good name recognition and truly cares about its patients. Consent Decree allows opportunities for skill development, but they will overwork you and you will not be compensated accordingly. Employees are dedicated to ensuring work is completed, at the expense of quality.

Cons-Too many managers with weak vision
    -Lack of accountability on all levels
    -Lack of career development and advancement opportunities
    -Workaholic personality is expected, not recognized
    -High turnover due to ambiguity pervading the site. This leads to junior staff making uneducated decisions
    -Unprofessional atmosphere

Miss-management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany good people with advanced skills to work along side of, company's success skyrocketed and then peaked in 2007. There "was" a time when everybody that I spoke with at Genzyme gave me the impression that they really were happy to work for Genzyme!

ConsAt one time people "were' truly happy to work for Genzyme, that all changed in 2007! And it has steadily gotten worse since. Now people are always on edge, walking on egg shells, management has been out of touch with the real beat on the streets for many years. They will actually use the following "articulate" phrase addressing the assembly: "If you do not like it, then you should be looking for a job elsewhere". It was already getting chaotic and then the company was bought by Sanofi. Sanofi wants to "harmonize" operations. Which sounds good, sounds all warm and fuzzy but what works for the pharmaceutical industry may not be advantageous for the Biotech industry. The fear of Sanofi by Genzyme Management has them running around with inappropriate agendas which it is transparent that the Genzyme Management is in fear of losing their positions and are in self preservation mode.
    Times are turbulent, perhaps after all of the dust settles in some 5 years or so it will be okay to work there again. The HR personnel are merely mouthpieces for management; sure they will explain your benefits but if you have any grievances with any superiors (as this has been shared to me by multiple people who have attempted) you are just setting your self up for misery. HR will maintain a bias for management and do not have your best interest in mind!
    With the rapid growth of the company came growing pains. Pains which they have failed to overcome to this day such as lack of meaningful communication between departments/groups; often there are details which are not shared and contributes to confusion etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave your offices and conference rooms once in a while; make it part of a regiment (weekly) to go out into the field and observe with your own two eyes what is going on, ask the employees for feedback. And I am not just talking about Managers, I am talking about the Directors even more so, as they currently are just taking the scrambled communication of the Managers and think that they are getting the true picture; well you are not.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very very poor management - top-down; no true HR department for the common employee; very poor quality management

Quality Assurance (Former Employee) Framingham Center, MA

Prosdepends on where you work (site) and which operation you work, there is great opportunity for growth (just don't pick Quality)

ConsPoor Management, poor collaboration/communication between Management in different operations; blind support of management - there is no HR Representative; no oversight of management and no mechanism to investigate management wrong doing/ retaliation. Poor Management all around. "open door policy" a farce. Any discussion with a level above direct Manager is discouraged, and invites retaliation (where employee is made an example). No control.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuality Management - Listen to your employees, protect your employees from incompetent managers - at least investigate complaints with independent counsel (not same HR responsible for supporting Manager). Look at your attrition rate and determine trends. You might notice, higher attrition rates than others.....investigate. Racial discrimination is very real in some departments.

Nothing special

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGood people, flexible hours, decent benefits

ConsHuman resources department lacking professional leadership. Division direction all over the place. No real room to advance.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and back up your employees. Talk to the people in the trenches and understand how things really work. Listen to their ideas. Better planning with more depts. involved. Free pizza once a month is just nowhere near what people are looking for. REALLY!

Learned how not to manage

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, acquired skills I could take with me to future jobs.

ConsWas refused access to systems needed for my job then would get yelled at for going to other folks to acquire information, was forced to watch manager read a magazine when I setup a meeting to review files, no training, asked personal questions then directly insulted for personal answers. No training, no building staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck in with staff, mentor, build knowledge, encourage knowledge sharing and how to work smart, don't just worry on own deliverables and shrug off others on team. Put management as something managers should be responsible for in annual reviews.

This is not the same company it was even a couple of years ago. It's a sad place to work.

Medical Writer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe science is interesting, the diseases being researched are in need of dedicated teams to create solutions, and the people who are left (after the acquisition by Sanofi) are really super.

ConsThat being said, those people are leaving in droves, and the new parent company is totally focused on the bottom line, not what makes sense for patients, and certainly not what makes sense for the employees. There is no recognition by Sanofi that Genzyme employees made Genzyme what it was, and the loss of talent in the past several months is staggering!

Not worth the frustration....

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsNot many:
    Got a few years of good experience until the politics kicked in
    Lucky to have direct supervisors who were talented, respectful and put time into my career development
    NB: this is not common here at all

ConsWhere to start.....
    1. It's a "you should pay us to work here" attitude
    2. Patronizing upper management
    3. HR is very disrespectful - while internally interviewing was questioned on the motive my career change, specifically that I didn't do enough to show interest in the potential career change; this is after speaking, researching and building relationships in the department/field of interest, taking continuing ed and earning a MS degree in the field. (HR was aware of all the prep work) When asked what else I need to do was told: "that's for you to figure out".
    4. People are not hired or promoted based on qualifications, background education etc. but simply how long you've hung around...how does someone with nothing past a high school degree get into managing corporate development activities when MBAs and the like aren't even considered for the position?
    5. I was made to wait 20+ minutes for my exit interview at 5:00 PM on a Friday while the HR rep chatted about her dinner the previous evening with a co-worker (was seated within ear shot of the entire conversation). No apology or anything for the wait - completely unprofessional.
    6. And to continue with the unprofessionalism - during the exit interview was told since I took part in the tuition reimbursement program (completed the last class more than a year previous to leaving the company as the policy states the employee must stay at least 6 months after completing the last class) I should consider staying longer for "moral reasons". After politely pointing out I had fulfilled all tuition reimbursement requirements, she replied: well if you feel comfortable taking advantage of the company that's your own moral issue" - REALLY! please tell me who took advantage of who? after following the policy to a "T" and had above average performance reviews for the many years of employment, this is the treatment on the way out?

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at some other companies down the street, they get it - you don't.

Good

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

Prosgood people, good environment, light workload

ConsBad management, average products, average strategy

Advice to Senior Managementwork harder

Be very careful about what you say!

Data Cleanser (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsSome of the best reasons is that they are not "corporate" in the sense, that they don't write you up for every little thing. They were fairly flexible with myself as a single parent.

ConsExtremely top heavy in management. For my department we had 3 employees, a manager and a Supervisor. They don't write you up for everything, they just fire you. I wrote an email to my manager about innapropriate behavior between himself and my coworker and that I was feeling uncomfortable, and instead of changing that, they let me go.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no need to have all of those managers and supervisors (like AP for example). Promoting employees is nice but not to where you have more "chiefs" than you do "indians"

Worked for Genzyme? Contribute to the Community!