Genzyme

Genzyme Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Genzyme CEO Christopher A. Viehbacher

Christopher A. Viehbacher

Pros
  • Pace allows for strong work/life balance and flexibility to often work remote as needed (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is overly focused on metrics (in 10 reviews)

• years, management promoted based on years of service rather than merit, terrible work/life balance, stagnant career growth since Sanofi acquisition (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Benefits, Loss of Genzyme identity

Validation Expert (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros- Great Benefits and Flexible work environment
    - Good work/Life balance

Cons- Loss of Genzyme identity since Sanofi took over, lack of consistent communication and policies/procedures across sites.
    - Too many spreadsheets and matrices
    - Role changes every month.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on work not matrices.

A great company to work for.

Principal Analytical Development Associate (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGood resources, Great benefits and a great company culture. They "transplanted workers for 6 months rather than lay them off and rehire. I respect that.

ConsConvoluted communication systems, scattered campus sites.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Ridiculously unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and a LEED building

ConsEverything else; training department was understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to engage your audience

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good until Sanofi took over...

Various (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsCompetitive salaries, excellent benefits package, and some very nice coworkers. Job satisfaction will depend on the group and manager that you work for, some departments are great, and others need help.

ConsLoss of Genzyme culture since Sanofi took over, work-life balance can be difficult at times, lack of consistent communication and policies/procedures across sites.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to squash the old Genzyme culture that made it a great place to work, value and respect the individual contributors that make things happen, stop the confusion related to reorganizing groups and sites every few months, realize that long-term employees still have plenty to add and should not be driven out and replaced with new blood, and analyze and select the best software systems before wasting time and money on implementation projects. Genzyme can be a great place to work...make the necessary changes, but stop trying to change everything about it.

Something there

Scientist (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsFree coffee. Pleasant people. Work can be fun. Bonuses are good.

ConsUnderpay. Raises stink and are below inflation. Limited budget stymies advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart focusing on your employees more, instead of yourselves.

Good research environment, fewer opportunities for advancement

Staff Scientist II (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsNice research environment, the scientists are interested in their research. Opportunities to explore various research areas and technologies.

ConsThose below director level are promoted much less. This is especially true since Sanofi takeover. The scientists should be given more training in bioinformatics, rather than just working with the bioinformatics teams. A bit lagging behind other companies in computational biology.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote those at lower levels more quickly to keep good employees. Provide more training, especially in bioinformatics.

Biosurgery keeps changing hands

Senior Development Associate (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros-Great benefits
    -flexible work schedule
    -ability to grow within the group
    -the management in my group is very encouraging and let us take offsite seminars, attend conferences and encourage growth and development

Cons-few jobs openings and chances to move up or to other departments
    -Upper management have been around for so long that they do not encourage or accept change easily
    - a lot of getting ahead is from being liked and who you know
    -salaries are low for experience and education
    -departments do not often work well together, there is a lot of argument among managers of different departments

Advice to Senior Management-care more about your employees
    -promote the people that do the job well, not just the ones that you like

Excellent Place For Research Work

Principal Research Associate (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsI have worked at Genzyme for the past 8 years and I have been extremely happy working here. The people are very cordial and collaborative, the benefits are excellent, and I work with people who genuinely enjoy what they do. With the purchase of Genzyme by Sanofi, we have gained a very generous 401K match program, a significant improvement on bonus structure, as well as a 5-day "company holiday" between Christmas and New Years every year.

ConsMerit raises have been less than stellar over the past 5 years, and it is quite a challenge to move up positions (ie, obtain promotions). However, lateral and upward moves can be achieved by internal transfers between Genzyme and Sanofi sites, which I have seen several people take advantage of.

Great benefits, work/life balance.

Stability Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsVacation time at hire date, affordable healthcare, excellent emphasis on work/life balance.

ConsRedundancy of paperwork, lack of communication between departments, lengthy training.

Great Benefits

Not Applicable (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGreat Benefits, great work life balance

ConsNO OPPORTUNITY for advancement, too many reorgs, reviews are not based on performance

Advice to Senior ManagementSet goals so team can advance within the company.

Worked for Genzyme? Contribute to the Community!