Genzyme

www.genzyme.com
Employer Engaged

Good Company

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

At least the area I was in, great team and management.

Cons

Company seems to be stuck in a past decade with some archaic policies and work environment.

Better communication.

Great place to work, learn and develop

Former Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management cares about the employees and puts a lot of energy into ensuring both growth and job satisfaction. Benefits were beyond great.

Cons

Really challenging IT protocols almost to the point it disrupts the ability to get work done. Change is very slow as there are multiple levels to go through for review/approval.

Ensure communication remains good and your teams will continue to support you.

Most despised company in Boston biotech

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits were very good. One hundred fifty (150) percent match on 401(k), but you have to stay 2 years. Easy commute to Framingham - right off the Mass Pike.

Cons

Glassdoor is asking me, "What are some of the challenges of working here?" I don't know where to start.

I've been gone over a year and have met many former Genzyme employees and they all say the same thing,,,they hated the place. Completely overworked, no Human Resources Department, broken systems (takes three hours for a 20 minute task), grossly inexperienced management, employee training of very poor quality (read poorly written procedures and take exams with incorrect answers), unrealistic goals and objectives based on resources available, etc. Forget employee development and retention.

A totally bad attitude permeated the place. I learned quickly that "failure is not an option." Mike Dukakis said that the "fish rots from the head down" and it sure does at Genzyme. Vendors commonly do not get paid for three months or more. Projects get modified by Genzyme management but then they won't extend the schedule, so 16-18 hour days become common. I recently heard that some Allston departments are working seven days a week, 12 hours a day. For what? Is the objective that critical? Must be, because metrics were universally important.

Genzyme's culture is probably something like a car dealership. Employees are considered non-returning customers, so who cares how they are treated.

One thing - Genzyme is probably very good for an entry-level or hourly employee. You do your job (or learn your job), then check out after 40 hours or pull down some overtime.

Finally, I wonder if some of these "good" reviews are shills...put up here by Genzyme management to (artificially) promote the "Genzyme image."

It's pay me now or pay me later. Explain the turnover. It's your employees who will carry you into the next decade. You have no pipeline and better, cheaper therapeutics are coming from your competitors.

Good Company but it seems that the golden days are mostly behind

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Opportunities to learn. Lots of small perks that could be good if management would use them to show appreciation for the hard work. Upper management is trying to fix issues but that doesn't trickle down to all levels.

Cons

It is expected to work long hours thus no work life balance. Management will not help with career development. Office politics are prevalent and can determine one's career. Training takes a long time which makes it very difficult to get new personnel onboard quick.

Listen to the people on the floor and make changes quick. All the good employees are leaving and leaving a lot of not so good ones behind. Makes it very hard to get the job done.

Living on past glory

Former Employee - Quality Systems Engineer in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Quality Systems Engineer in Allston, MA

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

See future case studies as they are unfolding

Cons

Toxic environment, rubric by which upward mobility is assessed is highly unclear, nepotism is a massive problem

Genzyme grew from 10,000 to 110,000 employees during the Sanofi acquisition making the company too disorganized.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job stability, time off, involved in multiple projects and new projects down the line.

Cons

Poor communication, upper management not aware of workflow and challenges of daily activities, spend too much time collecting metrics and less on science and too many new applications without proper training.

Listen to your employees comments during surveys; we have lost too many experienced employees if management just acted.

Great workplace, awesome manager

I have been working at Genzyme full-time

Pros

Great benefit program, career growth opportunties

Cons

Compensations, Promotions could be given more regularly

Awful Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't many to think of. There are some great people to work with and I made some long lasting friends during my time there.

Cons

Allston is completely mismanaged and is prime for a business case study on how not to run a company. Their turnover YTD is over 30% and it has been entirely voluntary. Promotions are very rare and they are planning to reduce the size of the plant from approximately 650 to 400 employees over the next few years through letting people leave without replacing them. After leaving this company, I was able to get a 22% pay increase. They pay far below market.

Management should be replaced. Having senior management there that were big reasons why Genzyme is under a consent decree is unbelievable.

Decent company

Current Contractor - QC Analyst I in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - QC Analyst I in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits aren't bad. People are good to work with depending on department. Good way to get experience but not a company that appreciates employees.

Cons

Management is awful. Lack of experience clearly shows. Can't retain employees and high turn around rate. extremely low moral.

It's all about the bottom line period.

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Genzyme is still a decent company. The compensation is still good although there have been changes in the past 2 years or so and it is becoming more difficult to make full bonus. Work-life balance is still good. The acquisition by Sanofi has been challenging and their influence is being felt more and more.

Cons

Senior Management is overly focused on metrics, many of which are not meaningful, The introduction of the daily time card has contributed to this issue. The acquisition of Genzyme by Sanofi over 3 years ago has not been as positive as Sanofi would have employees at Genzyme believe. Many of the legacy Genzyme employees have left the company to pursue other start up opportunities or to retire. A tremendous amount of talent, knowledge and expertise went with those employees who left.

Genzyme Photos