Genzyme Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
3.3

Genzyme CEO Christopher A. Viehbacher
Christopher A. Viehbacher

Pros
  • Pace allows for strong work/life balance and flexibility to often work remote as needed (in 11 reviews)

• Great benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management is overly focused on metrics (in 10 reviews)

• years, management promoted based on years of service rather than merit, terrible work/life balance, stagnant career growth since Sanofi acquisition (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great if you can ignore the Corporate BS

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies. Health premiums are affordable and based on pay and family size. In the office environment work hours are flexible and you have the ability to work from home part of week either regularly or on occasion as needed. Colleagues are dedicated, care about the work they do, and support each other, great team atmosphere. The work on my project is challenging, and I am never bored. The office space is pleasant, even in the cube farm. Overall the pros outweigh the BS in the cons section. Seriously, I love my job and working here despite the things in the "Cons" section. My team is great, the benefits are great, and I love the work I do, and that counts for a lot even when I can't give many stars on some of the individual ratings.

Cons

Raises were cut drastically and do not keep pace with the rise in COL. My co-workers refer to them as "pay cuts" for this reason. There is now more use of contractors rather than giving great workers perm jobs. My team is down to 2 employees, both hired prior to integration. All other positions have been lost or converted into contractor positions as they were vacated by regular employees. My division needs a long term stable team, not temporary workers. The inability to hire regular employees has left us dealing with turnover and difficulty in attracting people with the experience and skills we need. We are often short on resources, and unable to keep up with the workload, seem to be in a constant training mode. Once we have someone up to speed, they either leave for a regular position elsewhere or a more lucrative contract. That's the nature of using contractors. This is totally appropriate for some work, but not in my division and it is costing the company piles of money in lost productivity and lost talent.

As other people have mentioned communication leaves a lot of be desired, especially around changes and moves. Some decisions seem to be nonsensical from any possible perspective (removing all plastic ware, plates, napkins, and milk/cream service from the kitchenettes to "save money" but then replacing all of the water coolers with even fancier models WTH?) We face constant budget cuts and had a hiring freeze, but apparently we can now enjoy corporate jet service at a premium cost for commuting between Boston and NJ and we needed fancy big monitors on every floor rotating messages too fast too be able to read. It's entirely possible one morning you will boot up your computer and not be able to access programs you need to do your work. IT support (or lack there-of) will make you want to cry into your keyboard. Critical issues can be left for a month or longer and need to be escalated by upper management to get any kind of response, even when employees are literally unable to work until the issue is fixed.

Improve communication and re-examine some of these business decisions that are likely actually costing money rather than saving it. Stop making IT and accounting decisions in a vacuum that end up having critical impact on employee's ability to get work done. Rethink all using outsourcing and contractors where it's clearly not beneficial. If you want to compete with Google for talent, you first need to make jobs available, period. You can't attract the superstars when you refuse to offer them regular jobs in the first place.

Ridiculously unprofessional

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

Great benefits and a LEED building

Cons

Everything else; training department was understaffed

Learn how to engage your audience

Overly Conservative, Overly Bureaucratic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Benefits and great people

Cons

Too much red tape. Too much waste

Get a better understanding of the unintended consequences before making decisions that overpromise and underdeliver.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Benefits, Loss of Genzyme identity

Former Employee - Validation Expert  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Validation Expert in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great Benefits and Flexible work environment
    - Good work/Life balance

Cons

- Loss of Genzyme identity since Sanofi took over, lack of consistent communication and policies/procedures across sites.
    - Too many spreadsheets and matrices
    - Role changes every month.

Focus on work not matrices.

A great company to work for.

Former Employee - Principal Analytical Development Associate  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Analytical Development Associate in Framingham, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good resources, Great benefits and a great company culture. They "transplanted workers for 6 months rather than lay them off and rehire. I respect that.

Cons

Convoluted communication systems, scattered campus sites.

Keep it up.

Biosurgery keeps changing hands

Current Employee - Senior Development Associate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Development Associate in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Great benefits
    -flexible work schedule
    -ability to grow within the group
    -the management in my group is very encouraging and let us take offsite seminars, attend conferences and encourage growth and development

Cons

-few jobs openings and chances to move up or to other departments
    -Upper management have been around for so long that they do not encourage or accept change easily
    - a lot of getting ahead is from being liked and who you know
    -salaries are low for experience and education
    -departments do not often work well together, there is a lot of argument among managers of different departments

-care more about your employees
    -promote the people that do the job well, not just the ones that you like

Great benefits, work/life balance.

Current Employee - Stability Specialist
    Current Employee - Stability Specialist

I have been working at Genzyme full-time

Pros

Vacation time at hire date, affordable healthcare, excellent emphasis on work/life balance.

Cons

Redundancy of paperwork, lack of communication between departments, lengthy training.

Associate Director, Project Management

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

Lots of opportunity to shine and standout. Top performers get high visibility.

Cons

Many people are old Genzyme (pre merger) and wish things would go back to the good old days when there were no rules and everyone got ridiculous bonuses. Also, many people resist positive changes that are happening.

Good until Sanofi took over...

Former Employee - Various  in  Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Various in Framingham, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Competitive salaries, excellent benefits package, and some very nice coworkers. Job satisfaction will depend on the group and manager that you work for, some departments are great, and others need help.

Cons

Loss of Genzyme culture since Sanofi took over, work-life balance can be difficult at times, lack of consistent communication and policies/procedures across sites.

Stop trying to squash the old Genzyme culture that made it a great place to work, value and respect the individual contributors that make things happen, stop the confusion related to reorganizing groups and sites every few months, realize that long-term employees still have plenty to add and should not be driven out and replaced with new blood, and analyze and select the best software systems before wasting time and money on implementation projects. Genzyme can be a great place to work...make the necessary changes, but stop trying to change everything about it.

Ability to navigate grey area a must

Current Employee - Principal Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Principal Business Analyst

I have been working at Genzyme full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great idea. Orphan drugs to meet unmet needs of patients with rare diseases and humanitarian program.

Cons

No documented processes,acknowleged bad practices continue for 5+ years, management promoted based on years of service rather than merit, terrible work/life balance, stagnant career growth since Sanofi acquisition.

Develop an understanding of day to day activities before making decisions on additional workload, spend more time on process development and training instead of spending time figuring out where to point the finger, address issues as they become evident rather than when they become devastating. You have great employees whose time would be better utilized making improvements rather than putting out fires.

Genzyme Photos

Genzyme Center
Allston Landing Location
68 New York Ave.

+ Add Photo

Worked for Genzyme? Contribute to the Community!