Genzyme

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
3.3

David Meeker

Pros
  • Work/life balance: You can work from home almost anytime you want (in 14 reviews)

• Genzyme pays good hourly wages and offers a great benefits package (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The acquisition by Sanofi has started to change the culture to one more akin to big pharma (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management not clearly focused on improving operations (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Going downhill since corporate buy-out

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Excellent benefits: Generous time off, 401k match, medical, company discounts, bonus structure, etc.
    - Work/life balance: You can work from home almost anytime you want. 7-8 hours in the office is a typical work day, even for managers. Flexible schedules. Very laid back.

Cons

- Awful raises, regardless of performance.
    - Promotions are based solely upon seniority and office politics. It doesn't matter how good you are at your job or how hard you work....if an incompetent person has seniority over you or is "connected", they will get the promotion. This is rampant throughout the entire organization.
    - Endless layers of useless management.
    - Silo'd environment. Nobody knows what other groups are working on, or what their business processes are.
    - No Career development opportunities. You perform a small set of tasks with no chance to learn anything new. This is Sanofi's business model.

- Create more career development opportunities for employees.
    - Remove the multiple layers of useless managers and spend that money on raises for hard working employees.
    - Promote the people who actually deserve it.

Great place before Sanofi

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary nice perks! Amazing company before Sanofi!

Cons

No growth unless you are French now that it is owned by Sanofi!

Top heavy culture brings down the organization as a whole.

Former Employee - Quality
    Former Employee - Quality

I worked at Genzyme full-time

Pros

Since the Sanofi acquisition the culture, the tools, and the benefits are now headed towards outstanding. No doubt this was the worst part about leaving, the potential for a great company to grow with.

Cons

Unfortunately, this growth is a process and during that time it can be messy. At Ridgefield the facility is very top heavy; the politics is thick, and wouldn't be so much of an issue if the people below didn't suffer as a consequence. Every year we did better, and every year we had to save money so raises were skimpy; yet the "teacher's pets" received substantial bonuses and promotional opportunities (public knowledge because of the politics). Often those that developed within the facility are those who posed little to no threat to upper management. Understandable but to maintain progress the burden falls into the laps of the lower level employees with little to no recognition, because those in supervisory or new management positions lacked the skills needed to perform the job well.

There is a striking shift in values due to the Sanofi acquisition and there seems to be tension from upper management. Accountability seems to have reappeared in their realm, and they are nervous. In a few years, if Sanofi does what they should to ensure consistent progress and growth (of both the company and employees), this will be a great place to work.

Recognition is lacking. Paying below market salaries and leveraging politics to ensure your personal bonus is both morally weak, and shameful. Take an honest look at what opportunities are available should you invest in your employees, and not your egos.

non transparent

Former Employee - Lead Generation Department in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Generation Department in Waltham, MA

I worked at Genzyme as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I interned in the Med Chem department LGCR in Waltham MA. The people are knowledgeable and committed to doing good science and received the support you'd expect from a large pharma company with resources.

Cons

There is a "Culture of Decay." This is a well established fact that is acknowledged by the entire department and the department head however he is uninterested in having any support or effort being put in in order to solve this problem from management.
    Layoffs will probably become more common since the Sanofi acquisition.
    Disorganized macro systems- everything is fine if you stay in lab/ your cubicle but there are bureaucracies that can't help you and a level of disorganization that is an inevitable result of many M&As.

Great people. True spirits committed to helping patients.

Former Employee - Associate Quality Engineer in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Quality Engineer in Allston, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Truly a great company that is committed to helping patients; giving them hope, when there was little hope before.

Cons

The acquisition by Sanofi has started to change the culture to one more akin to big Pharma.

N/A.

Young, successful biopharma firm acquired by Sanofi

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Genzyme as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Boston location. Plenty of opportunity to improve the operation.

Cons

Senior management not clearly focused on improving operations. Undisciplined engineering practices at some locations. Unsustainable product pricing model for long-term success.

Investing in engineering development--specifically turnover from research to -manufacturing--could yield order-of-magnitude improvements in fixed asset throughput.

Excellent Co-op program for graduate students!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good working environment in both labs and office cubes, interesting projects, nice people!

Cons

Career development is slow

Great, growing company if you're connected and don't mind corporate politics.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great benefits/401K/PTO
    - Robust pipeline
    - Seeing our therapies are changing lives
    - Associates are very dedicated to the patients/cause

Cons

- Overly bureaucratic
    - Too many unproductive meetings
    - Few opportunities for advancement - favoritism by Management is rampant
    - Distinct "cliques"
    - Terrible raises
    - Low morale - no one ever seems happy
    - HR dept is ineffective at best

Look at the wealth of fresh talent to add to the management team. Same legacy Genzymers keep being promoted while their favorites ride their coat tails. Improve HR dept so that employees feel that if they reach out for help, it will be confidentially addressed.

Keep Changing

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

Good pay, good working environment, the cafeteria with an overlook of Charles river is nice, location is good too, keep changing for good,

Cons

Although the town hall meetings are good, lack of next level of communication.
    Although keep changing in a right direction is good, employee get confused when the lower level of communication is absent.

Make sure that the middle level of management communicate more often.

Great if you can ignore the Corporate BS

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies. Health premiums are affordable and based on pay and family size. In the office environment work hours are flexible and you have the ability to work from home part of week either regularly or on occasion as needed. Colleagues are dedicated, care about the work they do, and support each other, great team atmosphere. The work on my project is challenging, and I am never bored. The office space is pleasant, even in the cube farm. Overall the pros outweigh the BS in the cons section. Seriously, I love my job and working here despite the things in the "Cons" section. My team is great, the benefits are great, and I love the work I do, and that counts for a lot even when I can't give many stars on some of the individual ratings.

Cons

Raises were cut drastically and do not keep pace with the rise in COL. My co-workers refer to them as "pay cuts" for this reason. There is now more use of contractors rather than giving great workers perm jobs. My team is down to 2 employees, both hired prior to integration. All other positions have been lost or converted into contractor positions as they were vacated by regular employees. My division needs a long term stable team, not temporary workers. The inability to hire regular employees has left us dealing with turnover and difficulty in attracting people with the experience and skills we need. We are often short on resources, and unable to keep up with the workload, seem to be in a constant training mode. Once we have someone up to speed, they either leave for a regular position elsewhere or a more lucrative contract. That's the nature of using contractors. This is totally appropriate for some work, but not in my division and it is costing the company piles of money in lost productivity and lost talent.

As other people have mentioned communication leaves a lot of be desired, especially around changes and moves. Some decisions seem to be nonsensical from any possible perspective (removing all plastic ware, plates, napkins, and milk/cream service from the kitchenettes to "save money" but then replacing all of the water coolers with even fancier models WTH?) We face constant budget cuts and had a hiring freeze, but apparently we can now enjoy corporate jet service at a premium cost for commuting between Boston and NJ and we needed fancy big monitors on every floor rotating messages too fast too be able to read. It's entirely possible one morning you will boot up your computer and not be able to access programs you need to do your work. IT support (or lack there-of) will make you want to cry into your keyboard. Critical issues can be left for a month or longer and need to be escalated by upper management to get any kind of response, even when employees are literally unable to work until the issue is fixed.

Improve communication and re-examine some of these business decisions that are likely actually costing money rather than saving it. Stop making IT and accounting decisions in a vacuum that end up having critical impact on employee's ability to get work done. Rethink all using outsourcing and contractors where it's clearly not beneficial. If you want to compete with Google for talent, you first need to make jobs available, period. You can't attract the superstars when you refuse to offer them regular jobs in the first place.

Genzyme Photos