Genzyme Reviews

Updated April 15, 2015
233 reviews filtered by

Good Company but it seems that the golden days are mostly behind

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Opportunities to learn. Lots of small perks that could be good if management would use them to show appreciation for the hard work. Upper management is trying to fix issues but that doesn't trickle down to all levels.

Cons

It is expected to work long hours thus no work life balance. Management will not help with career development. Office politics are prevalent and can determine one's career. Training takes a long time which makes it very difficult to get new personnel onboard quick.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people on the floor and make changes quick. All the good employees are leaving and leaving a lot of not so good ones behind. Makes it very hard to get the job done.

2. Great place to work, learn and develop

Former Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Management cares about the employees and puts a lot of energy into ensuring both growth and job satisfaction. Benefits were beyond great.

Cons

Really challenging IT protocols almost to the point it disrupts the ability to get work done. Change is very slow as there are multiple levels to go through for review/approval.

Advice to Management

Ensure communication remains good and your teams will continue to support you.

Most despised company in Boston biotech

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits were very good. One hundred fifty (150) percent match on 401(k), but you have to stay 2 years. Easy commute to Framingham - right off the Mass Pike.

Cons

Glassdoor is asking me, "What are some of the challenges of working here?" I don't know where to start.

I've been gone over a year and have met many former Genzyme employees and they all say the same thing,,,they hated the place. Completely overworked, no Human Resources Department, broken systems (takes three hours for a 20 minute task), grossly inexperienced management, employee training of very poor quality (read poorly written procedures and take exams with incorrect answers), unrealistic goals and objectives based on resources available, etc. Forget employee development and retention.

A totally bad attitude permeated the place. I learned quickly that "failure is not an option." Mike Dukakis said that the "fish rots from the head down" and it sure does at Genzyme. Vendors commonly do not get paid for three months or more. Projects get modified by Genzyme management but then they won't extend the schedule, so 16-18 hour days become common. I recently heard that some Allston departments are working seven days a week, 12 hours a day. For what? Is the objective that critical? Must be, because metrics were universally important.

Genzyme's culture is probably something like a car dealership. Employees are considered non-returning customers, so who cares how they are treated.

One thing - Genzyme is probably very good for an entry-level or hourly employee. You do your job (or learn your job), then check out after 40 hours or pull down some overtime.

Finally, I wonder if some of these "good" reviews are shills...put up here by Genzyme management to (artificially) promote the "Genzyme image."

Advice to Management

It's pay me now or pay me later. Explain the turnover. It's your employees who will carry you into the next decade. You have no pipeline and better, cheaper therapeutics are coming from your competitors.

5. Great workplace, awesome manager

I have been working at Genzyme full-time

Pros

Great benefit program, career growth opportunties

Cons

Compensations, Promotions could be given more regularly

It's all about the bottom line period.

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Genzyme is still a decent company. The compensation is still good although there have been changes in the past 2 years or so and it is becoming more difficult to make full bonus. Work-life balance is still good. The acquisition by Sanofi has been challenging and their influence is being felt more and more.

Cons

Senior Management is overly focused on metrics, many of which are not meaningful, The introduction of the daily time card has contributed to this issue. The acquisition of Genzyme by Sanofi over 3 years ago has not been as positive as Sanofi would have employees at Genzyme believe. Many of the legacy Genzyme employees have left the company to pursue other start up opportunities or to retire. A tremendous amount of talent, knowledge and expertise went with those employees who left.

Decent company

Current Contractor - QC Analyst I in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - QC Analyst I in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits aren't bad. People are good to work with depending on department. Good way to get experience but not a company that appreciates employees.

Cons

Management is awful. Lack of experience clearly shows. Can't retain employees and high turn around rate. extremely low moral.

Awful Place to Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There aren't many to think of. There are some great people to work with and I made some long lasting friends during my time there.

Cons

Allston is completely mismanaged and is prime for a business case study on how not to run a company. Their turnover YTD is over 30% and it has been entirely voluntary. Promotions are very rare and they are planning to reduce the size of the plant from approximately 650 to 400 employees over the next few years through letting people leave without replacing them. After leaving this company, I was able to get a 22% pay increase. They pay far below market.

Advice to Management

Management should be replaced. Having senior management there that were big reasons why Genzyme is under a consent decree is unbelievable.

Mfg. Associate

Former Employee - Mfg Associate in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Mfg Associate in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Good people to work individually with other than supervisors
    Good pay
    Good benifets
    Lots of overtime available since they can't retain anyone

Cons

Hi turnover. They can't keep anyone
    Management will throw anyone under the bus to hold onto power
    High level of nepotism qualified personal passed over and jobs given to lower level relatives over more qualified personal
    Whas brought on to help fix an issue,issue resolved managers took all of the credit from my recommendations

I spent a year in Iraq getting bombed and shot at. I'd rather go back there than to go back to Genzyme. Everyone that I have ever encountered leaves once they find a new job except for the green card holders

Advice to Management

Work with your subordinates not against them.

10. Customer Care

I have been working at Genzyme

Pros

good learning opportunity and first job experience

Cons

No room for growth. Low raises ad bonuses

Advice to Management

provide more incentive

Great Experience

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Genzyme as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my time working with Genzyme. The employees are very friendly and focused on their tasks with a commitment to the research for medical conditions that are far from peoples minds.

Cons

I had not worked there long enough to pick up any cons, although at the time I was working there, a takeover by Sanofi saw many high level employees leave.

Genzyme Photos