Genzyme

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
3.3

David Meeker

Pros
  • Work/life balance: You can work from home almost anytime you want (in 14 reviews)

• Genzyme pays good hourly wages and offers a great benefits package (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The acquisition by Sanofi has started to change the culture to one more akin to big pharma (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management not clearly focused on improving operations (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Co-op program for graduate students!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Genzyme as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good working environment in both labs and office cubes, interesting projects, nice people!

Cons

Career development is slow

Keep Changing

I worked at Genzyme

Pros

Good pay, good working environment, the cafeteria with an overlook of Charles river is nice, location is good too, keep changing for good,

Cons

Although the town hall meetings are good, lack of next level of communication.
    Although keep changing in a right direction is good, employee get confused when the lower level of communication is absent.

Make sure that the middle level of management communicate more often.

Senior Research Associate

Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Research Associate in Framingham, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good mid-level management. Competitive industry compensation.

Cons

Very low ceiling for mid-level associates.

Great if you can ignore the Corporate BS

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits - generous 401K match, PTO, annual bonus, and transit subsidies. Health premiums are affordable and based on pay and family size. In the office environment work hours are flexible and you have the ability to work from home part of week either regularly or on occasion as needed. Colleagues are dedicated, care about the work they do, and support each other, great team atmosphere. The work on my project is challenging, and I am never bored. The office space is pleasant, even in the cube farm. Overall the pros outweigh the BS in the cons section. Seriously, I love my job and working here despite the things in the "Cons" section. My team is great, the benefits are great, and I love the work I do, and that counts for a lot even when I can't give many stars on some of the individual ratings.

Cons

Raises were cut drastically and do not keep pace with the rise in COL. My co-workers refer to them as "pay cuts" for this reason. There is now more use of contractors rather than giving great workers perm jobs. My team is down to 2 employees, both hired prior to integration. All other positions have been lost or converted into contractor positions as they were vacated by regular employees. My division needs a long term stable team, not temporary workers. The inability to hire regular employees has left us dealing with turnover and difficulty in attracting people with the experience and skills we need. We are often short on resources, and unable to keep up with the workload, seem to be in a constant training mode. Once we have someone up to speed, they either leave for a regular position elsewhere or a more lucrative contract. That's the nature of using contractors. This is totally appropriate for some work, but not in my division and it is costing the company piles of money in lost productivity and lost talent.

As other people have mentioned communication leaves a lot of be desired, especially around changes and moves. Some decisions seem to be nonsensical from any possible perspective (removing all plastic ware, plates, napkins, and milk/cream service from the kitchenettes to "save money" but then replacing all of the water coolers with even fancier models WTH?) We face constant budget cuts and had a hiring freeze, but apparently we can now enjoy corporate jet service at a premium cost for commuting between Boston and NJ and we needed fancy big monitors on every floor rotating messages too fast too be able to read. It's entirely possible one morning you will boot up your computer and not be able to access programs you need to do your work. IT support (or lack there-of) will make you want to cry into your keyboard. Critical issues can be left for a month or longer and need to be escalated by upper management to get any kind of response, even when employees are literally unable to work until the issue is fixed.

Improve communication and re-examine some of these business decisions that are likely actually costing money rather than saving it. Stop making IT and accounting decisions in a vacuum that end up having critical impact on employee's ability to get work done. Rethink all using outsourcing and contractors where it's clearly not beneficial. If you want to compete with Google for talent, you first need to make jobs available, period. You can't attract the superstars when you refuse to offer them regular jobs in the first place.

Lacking true leadership

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Framingham, MA

I worked at Genzyme full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people, some good scientific knowledge, people very dedicated to the company

Cons

Lack of leadership, long hours/little work-life balance (many of the "in" people practically live there), very political environment, little recognition/appreciation, poor control of management processes

Take control, or get out of the way.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Smart, talented group of people

Cons

High turnover, very complicated systems and policies. Very big company that requires multiple input to complete tasks

employee satisfaction

Best review ever

Current Employee - Principal Research Associate in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Research Associate in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

paycheck, good 401K, time off, noble mission

Cons

procurement woes, health insurance, lack of carrer advancement structure

keep on managing

Good company, good experience

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: work-life balance, bonus structure, dedicated staff and great projects to work on
    - High potential for career growth and development, you may just have to seek it out yourself depending on your manager

Cons

Cons: There is a sense that there is too much focus on cutting back on staffing
    -sometimes unclear decision making throughout the ranks lead to issues
    - some business practices are efficient, while others are burdened by bureaucracy/ wasted resources
    -Constant changes to SOP's and training department, often multiple people will say to fill out different SOP's for the completing the same training task, leading to confusion and extra paperwork.

Fairly typical for a big company

Current Employee - Compliance Specialist QA in Framingham, MA
    Current Employee - Compliance Specialist QA in Framingham, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are not bad, nice campus

Cons

Top-heavy beaurocracy, extremely silo-ed culture.

Overly Conservative, Overly Bureaucratic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

I have been working at Genzyme full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits and great people

Cons

Too much red tape. Too much waste

Get a better understanding of the unintended consequences before making decisions that overpromise and underdeliver.

Genzyme Photos