Geo-Marine

Not yet rated.

Anthony L. Otten

No longer exists

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsWas once a nice family owned business

ConsNo longer exists. Has been taken over by Versar.

Always easier to blame others. Accept that you are either part of the solution or part of the problem, potentially both.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsCertain managers work to create a transparent environment

ConsDifficult market (federal contracting), some managers are out of step with younger employees

Advice to Senior ManagementSale to Versar was the right thing for employees. While some (G&A staff) were affected, overall employees are better off. BTW, Ruben Garza hasn't run the firm for over a decade. Mark Tanner was president when they sold to ARA. Curt Beckemeyer ran it for ARA until September 2013

I would rather forget I ever joined this 'company'. Agree with a previous reviewer about rating them lower if I could.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsSome really great people I worked with - talented, generous, and fun; some very interesting work experience. When times were good, it was a good place to work. Unfortunately the economy hit a disastrous blow to this federal-focused contractor.

ConsToo many in management were Cons. The whole corporate line was a con, especially about things only getting better when the company was first sold in 2009. Most information including policies, on the intranet were false or 10 years out of date. Laughable HR dept. and practices. A few toxic, miserable staff negated the otherwise nice family atmosphere. Selfish, 'above the law' attitude by some senior managers. Easier for some to bully and humiliate their staff into resigning to avoid paying unemployment. No equality - the 'haves' in senior management always got all the bonuses, big salaries and other numerous perks, never suffering the effects of the recession: just the little guys who actually did the work have been laid off in waves since 2009. Undoubtedly the worse experience I ever had. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late for advice, my guess is this place won't be in existence much longer.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great co-workers, management indifferent to staff

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsGreat diversity of projects. talented staff. Co-workers watched out for one another professionally. If you could build a better mousetrap and upper managwement wasn't involved you would get plenty of support.

ConsManagement treated all but upper level staff like minions. Problems ran downhill, no matter where the issue started. project cost cutting was unduly harsh on the lower level staff

A company that wasted it's potential

Engineer (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThere used to be some great people working there, there might be a few left if you hurry.
    The salary and benefits were competitive for the area.
    Plenty of opportunity to travel and see different areas of the country/world.

ConsLots of poor planning and execution when getting new work. I understand that sometimes things are out of your control and last minute changes have to be made, but this company consistently put off planning until the last minute which resulted in telling you on a Friday afternoon that you would be leaving on Sunday morning for a two week job. The late booking of plane tickets and hotels drove up the price considerably. They also required you to travel to a job on Sunday and usually come home on a Saturday, which was unpaid if you were salaried.
    Total lack of communication throughout the company. The term "team" was a joke. There were never any team meetings to help coordinate efforts on big projects or to get the status of an in-process project. Instead employees were left to coordinate deliverables with no direction from management.
    Total lack of transparency. When new work coming in started to slow down most of the employees had the feeling that the company was in trouble. Management regularly told the employees they had big things in the works and to just hang in there with them. The president of the company even flew in to present the numbers for the year and assure employees that things were going good, only to return a week later and lay off a quarter of the branch.
    No new business avenues in place and no plans in place to pursue any. Employees that wanted to push for more local jobs to fill in the gaps between government contracts were told there was no room in the budget to spend time on this. Employees were then berated for not bringing in new work. Seems like they should have someone in place that could get new work, I've heard some companies even have something called sales.
    The company has a habit of hanging onto really bad employees and occasionally even promoting them.
    There is a lot more I could go into, but if you haven't figured out what I'm getting at by now then I hope you enjoy your stay at GMI.

Advice to Senior ManagementA great deal of pride, but very little to be proud of.
    You could list any number of things here, but management is set in it's ways. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results comes to mind.

I would rate them lower, if I could.

Engineer (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsGood travel opportunities for those that enjoy traveling. The office itself is in a good location, close to restaurants, shopping, etc.

ConsThe president has shown repeatedly that he has no interest in the Knoxville branch. When he would fly in for a visit, it would be to brag about what the other branches are doing. He never expressed knowledge or concern for what we were doing. He would never bother to speak to anyone. No transparency.

A series of puzzling and poor decisions has created the quiet opinion among employees that corporate wanted the Knoxville branch to fail, and to close up shop. At a meeting, it was once brought up that we had all our eggs in the DOD basket, and if we weren’t to win contracts…it wouldn’t bode well. He agreed but offered no plan to diversify. Their inaction lead to subsequent layoffs and a mass exodus of Good People.

There were constant closed-door conversations among management. Favoritism. Lack of leadership. An expectation of maintaining zero personal life. Plane tickets would often be purchased on Friday with no warning, and you were expected to leave on Sunday – often for weeks at a time.

Promises of bonuses if you traveled, pulled your weight and earned the company money. The bonuses were so small, that it would have been less of an insult to give none at all.
    It was the worst place that I have ever worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly, none.

I think the place is going under. The fact it has survived this long is shocking.

terrible place to work

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsMiddle management hired some great talent and GMI had a great group of engineers who produced top quality work until upper management drove everybody away.

ConsNo matter how good our product was, it didn't matter because upper management failed at their job of business development. And instead of addressing the problem, they laid off or otherwise drove out their only asset - their talented engineers, who they pridefully thought would be easy to replace.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think it is too late for advice - the root of the problem is that upper management lacks the leadership necessary to run a successful company. Unfortunately it is only a matter of time before the company goes completely out of business.

Avoid this company; especially the Knoxville, TN office

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsI had the opportunity to work with some great co-workers during my time there. Unfortunately, most of them had left the company by the time I quit.

ConsRegardless of what they try to sell to you, GMI is only interested in federal work. Upper management is always blaming the employees for anything bad that happens instead of taking responsibility. It is a very unorganized and toxic work environment that continually got worse during my time there. The turnover rate is unreal at the Knoxville office. There have been many waves of layoffs, but many more people have quit due to the poor work environment and poor quality of work brought in. There is no opportunity to grow within the company, and there is no "team" atmosphere to speak of. Group meetings are rare and employees are often pitted against each other. Salary adjustments and reviews are not done in a timely manner even though they are supposed to be completed on a set yearly schedule. Also, the manager of the Knoxville office often times will publicly joke about firing people or letting people go; I always felt this was very inappropriate.

As I previously stated, many people have quit this company in the last few years. Unfortunately, the attitude from the top once people quit is "good riddance" rather than actually looking at the bigger picture and trying to prevent others from leaving the company for similar reasons. Consequently, this office has a very poor reputation in the Knoxville, TN area. Because of this they are likely looking for people outside of Knoxville to re-locate to work there. I strongly recommend avoiding this company unless you are in a desperate situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge that it is a serious problem when many employees quit within a short period of time. For corporate: make sure the right management is in place to run offices and departments. A manager who is constantly blaming all his office’s/department’s shortcomings on his employees (who are continuously quitting) is not a good leader.

Agree - Knoxville Branch is toxic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot sure that I can list too many here, except that the folks I got to work with were really great, save the upper management.

ConsNot sure where to start here - Upper management has just about no long term planning or strategies to get new work. The place is run by people that never actually performed much of the work before, and therefore they have little idea on how to manage the productivity of the office day to day, or understand what the final product should look like. Continuous stream of bad hires in multiple management positions, one of which sued the company directly after he was let go. Avoid this company at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully the folks in Plano will get the message, but by the time they do, I'm afraid everyone will have quit.

A solid company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsMaintains a high level of professionalism and quality; pay is very reasonable within the industry; emphasis on balancing work and family obligations; clearly stated annual goals and a cash bonus based upon achieving those goals.

ConsProfessional growth and advancement is hampered by company structure, but not by policy; office dynamic is divided according to one of two general locations where employees reside.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify the projects sought; don't be afraid to let go of problematic employees.

Worked for Geo-Marine? Contribute to the Community!