GeoDigital

Alastair N. Jenkins

Great Stepping Stone for Recent Grads

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Lompoc, CA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Lompoc, CA

I worked at GeoDigital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, relaxed office environment, casual dress code, company gatherings

Cons

senior management, diversity, learning opportunities, politics, contract employees receive no benefits

Pay close attention to the needs of those who make the foundation of the company, the technicians. Provide equal treatment to contract employees.

Ups & Downs

I have been working at GeoDigital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some people get to have very flexible schedules or travel in North America/other parts of the world; there are day and evening shifts available; lots of room to learn new skills. Great stepping stone for anyone in GIS/surveying/geography. Entry level wages are decent for someone without previous experience. Fun, relaxed work environment with nice people.

Cons

No retirement benefits for the Canadian part of the company. Many empty promises from head office, who are too removed (physically and figuratively) from the production staff to "get it" most of the time. Wages/contracts/retention of employees decisions seem to sometimes be random or uninformed.

Listen to your employees! I know you've done internal reviews and I know the contents of many of them. But nothing ever seems to be done about things. Quit overloading us with work and then asking for more out of us. If you make a promise, follow through!

Focus has shifted from quality to quantity, Very few are help accountable for issues

I have been working at GeoDigital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Slightly flexible schedule
    OT is always available
    Great coworkers

Cons

When everything is a rush nothing is a rush but it is still treated that way
    Lack of IT and R+D development for existing business units
    Entry level work is contract, strung along for years with the "chance" of a full time spot
    Some full time spots are filled by people who shouldn't have them
    Large amount of pressure on the production unit while management invests in emerging markets
    The blame game is always played. No one will own their mistakes or ask why they happened.

Go be a low level worker for a while. Look at the wage, look at a government job.. I would make more working at a government run liquor store or as a janitor at a hospital. Deadlines keep getting sold to bring in more work but the sales team has no idea how much time and effort goes into the product.

Good work life balance.

I have been working at GeoDigital

Pros

Good work life balance. Opportunities to travel are there. Growing company

Cons

SOP and human resources not fully developed.