GeoEye
www.geoeye.com Longmont, CO 500 to 999 Employees

GeoEye Reviews

Updated May 1, 2014

Jeffrey R. Tarr

Very good company to work for enjoyed my time there.

Many (Former Employee)
    Thornton, CO

ProsGood people. great industry. captivating imagery

ConsSome of the people going through a merger

Good Company

ProsFlexible with time, interesting work, good compensation and benefits. Smart and friendly workforce.

ConsDirectors and Managers with no Project Management experience leading projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key.

Bad decision makers (if you could find one)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsInteresting work for some departments. Great people. Good facilities from which to work. Good benefits.

ConsDue to years of poor managment decisions and a culture of aggression toward the biggest client, this company was bought out by DG and no longer exists. NO work/life balance for "critical" employees. No telecommuting policy (Thanks to the CEO). Some departments did not believe in training their workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease learn to make decisions, then take ownership of them. Do not throw your employees under the bus to take the fall for your bad or inconsistant direction. Don't abuse (verbal) and neglect (no training or direction) your employees and expect them to stick around to work for long.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rude coworkers, wanted to quit from day 1

(Former Employee)
    Thornton, CO

ProsGreat benefits, and 4 weeks paid vacation starts from day 1. Good coffee and the free Advil were nice. Looking at the imagery was cool. They use remote sensing software that will look good on a resume and maybe help you get a better job. This was the first job I had where HR was friendly and wanted you to be happy - too bad my 4 bosses didn't care. The company itself was not bad, just the department I was in.

ConsRude coworkers, it was like being back in middle school - absolutely everyone talked behind the back of absolutely everyone. There was not a team atmosphere. If I asked 5 coworkers the same question I'd get 5 different answers. Management was poor and mostly absent. A pretty cold place. I never felt welcome there. The bosses didn't have a clue about how the work was accomplished, and couldn't be used as a resource. There was no motivating of employees to work hard from the higher-ups, so if you wanted to talk s*** or sit on the internet for 8 hours no one stopped you. And once you see those internet sitters and s*** talkers get promoted, what's the point of working hard?

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a professional, team-oriented working environment. Show respect to each other, show respect to those under you, and maybe those rude coworkers will eventually show respect to each other. A department-wide course on basic politeness couldn't hurt. Stop promoting people who don't want to work. Block Facebook and sports websites access.

To many cons for working at GeoEye

ProsGood health benefits and generous time off.

ConsThe company doesn't have a clear strategic direction. Communication between management and employees is very poor. No professional growth and low salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more competitve salaries and listen to your employees.

I've been able to travel with this company.

Geospatial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Stuttgart (Germany)

ProsVarious employment opportunities, you don't take the job for the company, you take the job for the government agency you want to work for. GeoEye Analytics is basically just a middle man that skims money from your paycheck to cover their overhead, much like all defense contractors. There are many positions in different places around the world.

ConsLittle support from head office while you're "deployed", signed contracts are rewritten, giving you less money and changing your end dates, after they have you on the hook for the job and no other alternatives, they have an education fund as a benefit in the handbook, but when you go to take advantage of the education money they tell you that there isn't any money in the budget, there is no additional pay for overtime, they pocket all the profits for any OT you work, there are no awards or rewards for hard work, no recognition, except for the PM's that take the credit for getting new contracts based on the hard work you did.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet employees keep the overtime they work hard for, give awards and recognition, support emplyees, if a PM says he's going to do something he should do it, do what's right, be moral, don't let a "legal framework" guide you. Just because you're not legally bound to do the right thing doesn't mean you shouldn't do what's right. Be a force of change in the industry, be the guys that make other companies look bad in comparison, stop lowbidding to the point of un-profitability on contracts and decreasing salaries industry-wide.

Worked for GeoEye? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GeoEye reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GeoEye CEO Jeffrey R. Tarr. All 26 reviews posted anonymously by GeoEye employees.