Geocent

Updated December 2, 2014
Updated December 2, 2014
3.1

Robert A. Savoie

Geocent is a great place to build a career.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst III in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Geocent is the first place I have considered a company for which I would want to continue working for years to come. I started as a tech writer and, through hard work and willingness to learn and adapt, have been fortunate to move up through the company in the four years that I have been with Geocent. In those four years I have had the opportunity to learn a tremendous amount about numerous different aspects of software development and business in general. I believe that growth and knowledge benefits me as much as it benefits the company. Because of the company's willingness to find places for people willing learn and adapt to different positions I have been able to work on six different client side projects, as well as, at least eight internal projects. I have been a tech writer, data manager, QA tester, automated test suite manager, Scrum Master, business analyst, team leader, and the list goes on. Because I was willing to challenge myself to learn and excel at each new task, Geocent continues to find new opportunities for me to expand my potential.

The executives and management team have always and continue to do everything in their power to take care of this company and its employees. I personally have a great respect for each and everyone of them because I have seen how much they care for their people. Even in the midst of tremendous economic turbulence in the current local and national environment, the Geocent team continues to do everything it can to help employees build great careers for themselves while still keeping the company successful and an industry leader. This I can speak to personally because they have been supportive and extremely helpful to me both personally and professionally. I truly believe that the management team at Geocent works everyday to ensure both their employees' and company's success. I have seen it first hand.

Cons

Though company-wide communication has been inconsistent in the past, over the last year I have witnessed every effort being made to provide all employees with as much information on the company's status as possible. There are many different ways to get this information whether it be at a company-wide meeting, viewing the recording of that meeting at a later date, or emails sent by executives and management to all employees. Communication is definitely getting better. Especially if we as employees choose to make time to listen to those communications and participate in the dialogue.

I do find that some employees have an outlook that is more focused on them and as a result can negatively impact the team and the company. If more employees were willing to learn new things, grow, and be a part of the team, I believe that those employees would be more successful long term because of their value to the company's success and reputation as a team player who can be counted on to do what it takes to ensure success. It is after all the employees who can make the magic happen and build the company's success.

That being said, one challenge I believe the company faces, because it is growing so fast, is hiring and keeping employees who do not perform in a manner that meets the high expectations of the company and many of its long term employees. In an effort to be a contracting company who tries to find new positions for their employees instead of terminating them after projects end, Geocent sometimes keeps under performers around a little to long which can affect the performance of a team even if it also has high performers. While I admire their loyalty and resolve to be a place that tries to avoid layoffs, keeping people who don't live up to the quality and standards Geocent expects and their clients deserve can breed frustration among other employees and clients.

Continue doing what you are doing to keep this company a successful and industry leading business. Consider more company get-togethers that include executives, management, and employees. This could help create a more personal relationship with employees and sense of camaraderie with those who may not always get to interface with different parts of the company.

Also, because of the rapid growth of the company in varied geographies, a consistent company culture throughout all locations, sectors, and natural divisions would be nice. Though a common culture on everything is most likely not feasible, Geocent should pick a few key points that it truly believes are vital to the company culture goals and try to promote those throughout all locations, sectors, and divisions. We can't all be the same but their should be a common thread that ties us together.

Not a favorable working environment

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Geocent full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay well and, due to the nature of the business, can have a very flexible work schedule.

Cons

It's like a high school popularity contest. They hire based on looks and don't consider skills or ability to perform work. The project managers are incompetent thus causing double work for developers. They have lost several projects due to project managers' lack of ability, QA/testers with no experience, and developers with gigantic egos. Geocent lies to get projects so developers have to work outside of their expertise in order to complete unattainable specifications. Perfect for those right out of college but experienced professionals would be wasting their time there.

Consider more aspects than a person's outer appearance when hiring and firing.

They are good people but lacks good communication.

I have been working at Geocent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours if project allows
    Different activities to participate in
    Family oriented work place

Cons

No communication
    Hard to move up in company
    Few projects To move to

Communicate often

Gave my all to a company that gave little

Current Employee - Computer Consultant II in Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Computer Consultant II in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company was growing and moving in a positive direction. I later learned that was smoking mirrors and I had only been hired for a single assignment, not a long term move.

Cons

At the time, it was a female owned and operated business. However, very few people met her. It was understood she was the mythical figurehead used to garner certain business.

The idea of discussing the position as a longer term relationship, with ample work in the future was extremely misleading.

Understand that you are hired after your resume is used to win a bid for work. Often times, the turn around time was extremely slow and the candidate's resume used was no longer available.

I love working here!

I have been working at Geocent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to grow professionally. Work with exceptionally talented people. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Sometimes job security feels a little shaky between client work. Employees are not always in control of when they get to use their time off.

Keep up the good work focusing on taking care of the employees. Consider strategies for using employees for productive internal work between billable work.

Opportunity to Affect Change in the Space Industry While Assisting in Company Growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Geocent full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Able to share ideas with upper management and participate in those ideas. I most large companies neither is possible.

Cons

It would be good once or twice a year to hear what is the direction of the company and areas of interest for the company to move into. Not necassraily the budget numbers but what we are wanting to become and the path forward. In this way groups & individuals can help focus in those directions.

With budget down turns and government stagnation we may need to start developing plans for targeted sections of the government, to help them find their ways. Through these plans Geocent will become a stronger influence and more profitable.

Not the usual IT and Engineering Professional services company

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are not treated like a body or a number at Geocent. The company really tries hard to keep everyone happy, and when projects end, make every effort to make sure they can put you on another project. I have worked on 5 different projects, and just recently started a new one that is challenging and exciting. The performance expectations are high, poor performers usually do not make it.

Cons

Fast growth has resulted in needing to hire people faster than you would like, and they are not good fits and do not stick around. They are working to fix this, but the labor market is tight, and there will be some misses. It's never good for wrong hires to have a bitter taste in their mouth about the company based on emotion and invalid reasoning.

Do not lower the bar on the quality of people you will hire out of desperation and water down the companies greatest strength, a tremendously talented team of high performers that expect the same from their co-workers. Be quicker to weed out the poor performers. Also, continue to put the employees first and the rest will take care of itself.

Too small to care

Current Employee - Developer in Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Developer in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

President and Owner CEO do seem to honestly care but are not able to prevent middle management from making employee related errors

Cons

Don't bother working Comseq(Commercial sector). It is poorly managed and they fail to properly evaluate when a project needs to be rescued. I had a PM over me who had no clue what he was doing. He would tell me that I was not delivering what he wanted but he never checked to see what I was doing. So he was making accusations based off of no facts. It is amazing that people would make such accusations without having the facts. He finally had the other incompetent guy check to see what I was doing and guess what? They said, Oh, you are doing exactly what we want. It took three weeks of them giving me grief before they even stopped to say hey, maybe we should see what he has done before making accusations. Within two months after I quit, they lost two other programmers during that time, right after me for the same reason. Needless to say the customer shut down that project due to poor management. The supervising Program Manager made a huge error in not knowing whether these guys were actually doing their job or not.
    Comseq is the red headed step child to FedSeq (Federal Sector). FedSeq is treated like nobility. They get all of the perks.

Actually operate your company the way you present yourself to the developer when you are selling yourself to them instead of treating the developer like sled dogs.

Horrible company run with lies and deception

Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Geocent full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary, if you can perform IT magic and instantly become an expert on things you have never done.

Cons

Selling employee services to clients by making promises that they cannot keep by fabricating the experience level of the employee. Grossly unorganized and mismanaged. The recruiters will do an excellent job of luring you over, telling you whatever you want to hear, then not carrying out any of their promises.

Employees are a commodity to Geocent, to simply be discarded when workflow slows or they cannot utilize you for internal work.

Several employees display a staggering amount of incompetence, unable to perform even the basic functions of their job. Despite this they continue to work there, arousing suspicion of very unsavory practices.

Try running a company with some values. Honesty and integrity would be a good start. Remove some of the dead weight of middle management and try hiring some sentient beings for a change.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company where the management is involved and takes care of their people. Especially when things get a little tight.

Cons

As with every company getting the word out to everyone is certainly difficult and if there is a single shortfall it would be in that area. Communication is very important all personnel need to be kept informed

Keep working to get the information to the people, it is important and they want to know what is going on.