Geocent Reviews

I love working here!

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to grow professionally. Work with exceptionally talented people. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Sometimes job security feels a little shaky between client work. Employees are not always in control of when they get to use their time off.

Keep up the good work focusing on taking care of the employees. Consider strategies for using employees for productive internal work between billable work.

They are good people but lacks good communication.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible work hours if project allows
    Different activities to participate in
    Family oriented work place

Cons

No communication
    Hard to move up in company
    Few projects To move to

Communicate often

Gave my all to a company that gave little

Current Employee - Computer Consultant II  in  Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Computer Consultant II in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company was growing and moving in a positive direction. I later learned that was smoking mirrors and I had only been hired for a single assignment, not a long term move.

Cons

At the time, it was a female owned and operated business. However, very few people met her. It was understood she was the mythical figurehead used to garner certain business.

The idea of discussing the position as a longer term relationship, with ample work in the future was extremely misleading.

Understand that you are hired after your resume is used to win a bid for work. Often times, the turn around time was extremely slow and the candidate's resume used was no longer available.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity to Affect Change in the Space Industry While Assisting in Company Growth

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Geocent full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Able to share ideas with upper management and participate in those ideas. I most large companies neither is possible.

Cons

It would be good once or twice a year to hear what is the direction of the company and areas of interest for the company to move into. Not necassraily the budget numbers but what we are wanting to become and the path forward. In this way groups & individuals can help focus in those directions.

With budget down turns and government stagnation we may need to start developing plans for targeted sections of the government, to help them find their ways. Through these plans Geocent will become a stronger influence and more profitable.

Not the usual IT and Engineering Professional services company

Current Employee - Systems Analyst  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are not treated like a body or a number at Geocent. The company really tries hard to keep everyone happy, and when projects end, make every effort to make sure they can put you on another project. I have worked on 5 different projects, and just recently started a new one that is challenging and exciting. The performance expectations are high, poor performers usually do not make it.

Cons

Fast growth has resulted in needing to hire people faster than you would like, and they are not good fits and do not stick around. They are working to fix this, but the labor market is tight, and there will be some misses. It's never good for wrong hires to have a bitter taste in their mouth about the company based on emotion and invalid reasoning.

Do not lower the bar on the quality of people you will hire out of desperation and water down the companies greatest strength, a tremendously talented team of high performers that expect the same from their co-workers. Be quicker to weed out the poor performers. Also, continue to put the employees first and the rest will take care of itself.

Too small to care

Current Employee - Developer  in  Metairie, LA
    Current Employee - Developer in Metairie, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time for less than a year

Pros

President and Owner CEO do seem to honestly care but are not able to prevent middle management from making employee related errors

Cons

Don't bother working Comseq(Commercial sector). It is poorly managed and they fail to properly evaluate when a project needs to be rescued. I had a PM over me who had no clue what he was doing. He would tell me that I was not delivering what he wanted but he never checked to see what I was doing. So he was making accusations based off of no facts. It is amazing that people would make such accusations without having the facts. He finally had the other incompetent guy check to see what I was doing and guess what? They said, Oh, you are doing exactly what we want. It took three weeks of them giving me grief before they even stopped to say hey, maybe we should see what he has done before making accusations. Within two months after I quit, they lost two other programmers during that time, right after me for the same reason. Needless to say the customer shut down that project due to poor management. The supervising Program Manager made a huge error in not knowing whether these guys were actually doing their job or not.
    Comseq is the red headed step child to FedSeq (Federal Sector). FedSeq is treated like nobility. They get all of the perks.

Actually operate your company the way you present yourself to the developer when you are selling yourself to them instead of treating the developer like sled dogs.

Horrible company run with lies and deception

Former Employee - Systems Administrative  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Systems Administrative in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Geocent full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good salary, if you can perform IT magic and instantly become an expert on things you have never done.

Cons

Selling employee services to clients by making promises that they cannot keep by fabricating the experience level of the employee. Grossly unorganized and mismanaged. The recruiters will do an excellent job of luring you over, telling you whatever you want to hear, then not carrying out any of their promises.

Employees are a commodity to Geocent, to simply be discarded when workflow slows or they cannot utilize you for internal work.

Several employees display a staggering amount of incompetence, unable to perform even the basic functions of their job. Despite this they continue to work there, arousing suspicion of very unsavory practices.

Try running a company with some values. Honesty and integrity would be a good start. Remove some of the dead weight of middle management and try hiring some sentient beings for a change.

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Geocent full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good Company where the management is involved and takes care of their people. Especially when things get a little tight.

Cons

As with every company getting the word out to everyone is certainly difficult and if there is a single shortfall it would be in that area. Communication is very important all personnel need to be kept informed

Keep working to get the information to the people, it is important and they want to know what is going on.

Used to be a good company

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Geocent full-time

Pros

Great people in the administrative and HR depts, CEO & President very approachable and nice guys, only at their level was there some sense of genuine care for their employees.

Cons

This company used to be great to work for. Then some not-so-competent people were promoted to management, who over promise the customer and overwork employees to cash the big checks they wrote, and have no qualms about throwing people under the bus to improve perceptions of themselves. Promotion opportunities are limited if you're not in the right political circle, regardless of abilities. This company has no clue how to compensate and show appreciation to their hard working employees that sacrifice families & health for the success of the co's performance on client projects. For a company that bills their clients by the hour, there's no excuse for not paying their employees overtime. Gimmicky gifts and pep rallies don't make up for all the blood & sweat.

Reward your people for the extra hours you get to bill and make $$ off your clients. Remember not everyone is single with no life outside of work that may consider Xboxes and ping pong tables in the office to be a benefit.

My experience has benn very good.

Current Employee - CIO
    Current Employee - CIO

I have been working at Geocent

Pros

Opportunities, growth, location and sectors.

Cons

Heavy workload, long decision process and too much top-down decision making.

Allow more access to upper management.

Worked for Geocent? Contribute to the Community!