Geographic Solutions

Updated July 30, 2014
3.3

Paul Toomey

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Growing company and a fast paced environment

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is a lot to be learned at this company because of the constant new development and continual growth you will be jumping into the fire with both feet! It is growing very fast which is great but sometimes employees can be lost if they don't balance themselves between home and work life but if you can work those out then it's an exciting place to work. The company is making great strides to include wellness initiatives into the daily work life which is a great bonus.

Cons

No training readily offered so be prepared to do it on your own. Compensation could be more in line with labor market statistics. There are some high stress times during the year with major projects, deployments, and the annual conference.

I believe there are some great changes that are being made and have been made to make work life better. It's a really good family of people in place right now. Maybe work on better bonus programs and recognition for the people who have been with the company for years.

A Growing Company with Plenty of Opportunity

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst  in  Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been working at Geographic Solutions for almost 7 years. I like working here because they gave me the opportunity to grow and be my best. I feel like my opinion is respected by both my peers and senior management. My encounters with the owner have been very positive - you can tell when you talk to him how much he cares about the company and the business we are in -- providing the best tools for people to find jobs. And he cares about the employees - from little things like having dual monitors to big things like free healthcare (and kicking in $50 a month if you have an HSA). Some of the reviewers said that the owner doesn't care about employees but I see and hear otherwise - I have seen him help employees out - he just doesn't advertise it to the entire company. I read some of these reviews and they sounded like scorned boyfriends/girlfriends. It saddens me that they didn't have the experience I do but perhaps some of it has to do with having a positive attitude.

Cons

The only con I can really think of is that you "only" get 2 telework days a month. Sometimes I wish it were more but the reality is that we frequently need to collaborate on projects and that is alot easier in person so I have ended up with quite a few telework days in the bank (they carry over if you don't use them).

Get our name out there more so that more people have heard of us and will want to come work for a company that has more than doubled in size since I started working there.

Not on the team

Current Employee - Computer Programmer  in  Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair pay, Free soda, wear shorts to work, uses close to current technology

Cons

sweat shop, expected to work overtime a lot for no reason.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience at Geographic Solutions

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Programmer in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Geographic Solutions full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to get your foot in the door and work with some cutting-edge technologies. Everyone is really nice and management is superb.

Cons

Training is lacking. Expectations of work output are not clearly communicated. Not much interaction with coworkers. Illegal IQ test.

Good memories

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Geographic Solutions

Pros

Fair Compensation, great benefits with great people overall. Their products were excellent and it felt good to say that I worked for Geographic Solutions. Over all leadership was very strong and fair to me.

Cons

More flexible work options would be a plus and need to promote work life balance. Negatives for contractor are no pto and other benefits.

Work on promoting employees from within. Many of the managers are hired from other companies via internal promotions. Provide more cross training work and opportunities

Hardly a sinking ship - much the opposite in my opinion

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst  in  Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

I just came across this site and I must say that I am stunned and embarrassed by the insulting comments some of my current co-workers have posted about GeoSol. I have been here for long enough to know that this is the best place I have ever worked. I have already made several friends here at work and I do value my job and the pay is fair for the experience I have in programming and I do like the various benefits that are offered, like PTO and casual dress and different events that are held (lunches, parties)

We do have alot of projects ongoing and some late hours that come with being a programmer, but for someone to say this is a sinking ship is just not right and it actually demeans the hard work that me and my teammates and other departments do each day. I am glad that we have alot of work to do here, because my last company went belly-up due to the economy and i don't want to re-live that feeling again.

The comments about getting your email looked at? Maybe this wouldn't happen if these gripers actually worked all day instead of standing around in the parking lot and gossiping and putting the company down all the time. No one from management or HR has ever said anything to me about that kind of stuff.

I really enjoy my teammates and most everyone is understanding that we have rough patches but the owner is fair and approachable and has been doing things to improve the morale.

Cons

We have alot of different versions of the software and we need to get some better handle on how the processes evolve to clean up our development. There are times when we find out right before we are supposed to leave that we have to stay and do extra work, which hopefully won't happen as much in the future if the processes get fixed.

It seems like Management is now thinking about new ideas to make our work life better, such as different work schedules and better ways we can improve the software and the processes. So I would say keep that up and things will get even better. I do like it here and hope to stay at geosol for a long time.

The Facts on Benefits

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

Here are the benefits currently provided by Geographic Solutions:

Geographic Solutions pays 100% of an employee’s health insurance. Only 14 companies on this year's Fortune “100 Best Companies to Work For” list pay 100% of their employees' health-care premiums.

Geographic Solutions primary health insurance is currently a PPO plan. This also includes a small Life Insurance policy. Other health insurance options are available.

Geographic Solutions provides a cafeteria plan of additional benefits such as dental, vision, gym membership etc.

Geographic Solutions has provided an employer match to their 401k plan every year since I have worked at the company.

Employees initially receive 20 paid days off per year (Holidays/ PTO). Average in the US is 14 days for less than 1 year of service.

After 3 years of service paid days off are increased to 32 days. Average in the US is 18 days for 3 years of service.

Paid Time Off days do not expire and can be cashed in if not used.

Telework program is available (1-2 days per month) .

Cons

Geographic Solutions pays 25 percent of the employee’s health care insurance costs for additional family members and dependents. Employee premium is paid at 100 percent.

Keep the benefits package as flexible and competitive as possible as this is important to many of the employees in the organization.

Two Thumbs Up

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

I have just recently joined Geographic Solutions and I have found it a breath of fresh air compared to other places that I have worked. Management seems to really care about their employees. I really like the benefits.

Cons

I have not seen any real downsides other than a significant amount of responsibility and the high expectations that are placed on me.

Please continue to put your heart and soul into the running the company as it is making a significant difference in peoples lives all over the country.

Developer Sweatshop

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Palm Harbor, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Geographic Solutions

Pros

The best thing about Geographic Solutions is that there is no dress code. I wore shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops the whole time I worked there. Only when there are visitors do you have to dress up.

Cons

You don't get a chance to do a good job here. The emphasis is on quantity and speed: get as many things done as quickly as possible. There is tons of spaghetti code and the software is always breaking, so you are always fixing things. There were 5 development managers while I was employed there and none of them were able to change the way things are done because the owner just pushes for faster/more. QA can't test fast enough, so changes aren't fully tested and then development gets blamed. The best thing I ever did there was leave.

Put an emphasis on quality instead of quantity. Hire some real project managers and put a true SDLC in place.

Not Worth It

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

I like that GS is not laying people off because people are always quitting and the company is always selling there is always work here. You can count on that.

Cons

The company brass talks a good game but can't deliver. For some reason there is an arrogance and stubbornness that keeps good things from happening. The people who are in a position to help seem cut off at the knees. For as big a small company as it is, everything is makeshift - if you've ever seen The Little Rascals put on a play, that's equal to how this company operates. It just can't get to a professional level on things.

You obviously have some dedicated people willing to work nights and weekends for little pay or recognition. Focus on those people and try to hire more people like them.

Worked for Geographic Solutions? Contribute to the Community!