Geographic Solutions Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Paul Toomey

1. Not a bad place to work.

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

Good people that actually care about the product and the work they do. Benefits are decent, though the price continues to rise. Some telework is available. Opportunity to move up, as there are always several promotions from within.

Cons

Has somewhat of a 'good ole boys club' mentality at times. Lack of clear direction or time frames. Hires too many managers that end up stepping on each other.

Advice to Management

Fix the telework policy. Understand that this is a software/technology company. Embrace what technology can do and let go of the micromanaging aspect of telework. This is a company of professionals, not children. There is little reason to continue buying buildings and moving people around. The telework policy is embarrassing compared to other software companies.

2. Good environment, Nice people

I worked at Geographic Solutions full-time

Pros

The job was a bit mind-numbing and repetitive at times but that was the nature of job. Overall, good environment with nice people. Fun company events and free snacks.

Cons

The pay was on the low end, but with low pay came low expectations. No mandatory extra hours in my section. I heard it was a much different story in other sections.

Advice to Management

If long hours are to be expected from the employee on a regular basis, then the employee would like to be compensated for it. You might even see more devs willingly putting in extra hours. Even the entry level guys will be enticed by the promise of more cash.

Challenging and enjoyable company to work for

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will always be challenged to produce the best of what you have. Their is no room for complacency, which is awesome because when you become complacent, you get bored and lose skills. Geographic Solutions is a fun company to work for and has a great group of developers to work with.

Cons

The deadline is when? No Problem :)

Advice to Management

Best Management team that I have worked for. Keep up the good work. You make this place of work an enjoyable place to be. No Micromanagement here. You have faith in your programmers and we have faith in you. Good Job!

Geographic Solutions Response

Oct 20, 2014 – HR Manager

It's great to hear the positives. You're right, as we respond to customers needs, our deadlines tend to be pretty tight. We have shifted resources to make that happen when we need to and when we can ... More

Growing company and a fast paced environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a lot to be learned at this company because of the constant new development and continual growth you will be jumping into the fire with both feet! It is growing very fast which is great but sometimes employees can be lost if they don't balance themselves between home and work life but if you can work those out then it's an exciting place to work. The company is making great strides to include wellness initiatives into the daily work life which is a great bonus.

Cons

No training readily offered so be prepared to do it on your own. Compensation could be more in line with labor market statistics. There are some high stress times during the year with major projects, deployments, and the annual conference.

Advice to Management

I believe there are some great changes that are being made and have been made to make work life better. It's a really good family of people in place right now. Maybe work on better bonus programs and recognition for the people who have been with the company for years.

Geographic Solutions Response

Oct 2, 2014 – HR Manager

Thanks for the insights and you're right that the growth and pace sometimes can make us lose sight of our balance. It's about passion, but we are striving to keep our focus on our employees and their ... More

A Growing Company with Plenty of Opportunity

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been working at Geographic Solutions for almost 7 years. I like working here because they gave me the opportunity to grow and be my best. I feel like my opinion is respected by both my peers and senior management. My encounters with the owner have been very positive - you can tell when you talk to him how much he cares about the company and the business we are in -- providing the best tools for people to find jobs. And he cares about the employees - from little things like having dual monitors to big things like free healthcare (and kicking in $50 a month if you have an HSA). Some of the reviewers said that the owner doesn't care about employees but I see and hear otherwise - I have seen him help employees out - he just doesn't advertise it to the entire company. I read some of these reviews and they sounded like scorned boyfriends/girlfriends. It saddens me that they didn't have the experience I do but perhaps some of it has to do with having a positive attitude.

Cons

The only con I can really think of is that you "only" get 2 telework days a month. Sometimes I wish it were more but the reality is that we frequently need to collaborate on projects and that is alot easier in person so I have ended up with quite a few telework days in the bank (they carry over if you don't use them).

Advice to Management

Get our name out there more so that more people have heard of us and will want to come work for a company that has more than doubled in size since I started working there.

Don't believe the hype

I worked at Geographic Solutions full-time

Pros

Free sodas if you can call that a pro. Some really great people working under a dysfunctional management staff. Plenty of chances to practice your skills.

Cons

Sweat shop is a great description. Forced to work a minimum of 45 hours per week as the regular schedule, but most technical staff members also have to work at least one day a week until who knows when. Sometimes after midnight and you still start at 8am that day AND the next day. No chance for real advancement. No support for new technologies. No focus making the product better; just band aid and deliver to the client!

Advice to Management

Jump ship while you can. Paul Toomey will never let anyone actually manage properly.

Not on the team

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Palm Harbor, FL
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Palm Harbor, FL

I have been working at Geographic Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, Free soda, wear shorts to work, uses close to current technology

Cons

sweat shop, expected to work overtime a lot for no reason.

My experience at Geographic Solutions

Former Employee - Programmer in Palm Harbor, FL

I worked at Geographic Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to get your foot in the door and work with some cutting-edge technologies. Everyone is really nice and management is superb.

Cons

Training is lacking. Expectations of work output are not clearly communicated. Not much interaction with coworkers. Illegal IQ test.

The Facts on Benefits

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

Here are the benefits currently provided by Geographic Solutions: Geographic Solutions pays 100% of an employee’s health insurance. Only 14 companies on this year's Fortune “100 Best Companies to Work For” list pay 100% of their employees' health-care premiums. Geographic Solutions primary health insurance is currently a PPO plan. This also includes a small Life Insurance policy. Other health insurance options are available. Geographic Solutions provides a cafeteria plan of additional benefits such as dental, vision, gym membership etc. Geographic Solutions has provided an employer match to their 401k plan every year since I have worked at the company. Employees initially receive 20 paid days off per year (Holidays/ PTO). Average in the US is 14 days for less than 1 year of service. After 3 years of service paid days off are increased to 32 days. Average in the US is 18 days for 3 years of service. Paid Time Off days do not expire and can be cashed in if not used. Telework program is available (1-2 days per month) .

Cons

Geographic Solutions pays 25 percent of the employee’s health care insurance costs for additional family members and dependents. Employee premium is paid at 100 percent.

Advice to Management

Keep the benefits package as flexible and competitive as possible as this is important to many of the employees in the organization.

Hardly a sinking ship - much the opposite in my opinion

I have been working at Geographic Solutions

Pros

I just came across this site and I must say that I am stunned and embarrassed by the insulting comments some of my current co-workers have posted about GeoSol. I have been here for long enough to know that this is the best place I have ever worked. I have already made several friends here at work and I do value my job and the pay is fair for the experience I have in programming and I do like the various benefits that are offered, like PTO and casual dress and different events that are held (lunches, parties) We do have alot of projects ongoing and some late hours that come with being a programmer, but for someone to say this is a sinking ship is just not right and it actually demeans the hard work that me and my teammates and other departments do each day. I am glad that we have alot of work to do here, because my last company went belly-up due to the economy and i don't want to re-live that feeling again. The comments about getting your email looked at? Maybe this wouldn't happen if these gripers actually worked all day instead of standing around in the parking lot and gossiping and putting the company down all the time. No one from management or HR has ever said anything to me about that kind of stuff. I really enjoy my teammates and most everyone is understanding that we have rough patches but the owner is fair and approachable and has been doing things to improve the morale.

Cons

We have alot of different versions of the software and we need to get some better handle on how the processes evolve to clean up our development. There are times when we find out right before we are supposed to leave that we have to stay and do extra work, which hopefully won't happen as much in the future if the processes get fixed.

Advice to Management

It seems like Management is now thinking about new ideas to make our work life better, such as different work schedules and better ways we can improve the software and the processes. So I would say keep that up and things will get even better. I do like it here and hope to stay at geosol for a long time.

RSS Feed </> Embed