George Fox University

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Fitness Center Employee

Fitness Center Employee (Former Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsFun and friendly environment, layback culture, opportunity to help others in need, great for outgoing individuals

ConsWhen first starting out your hours are not the best, not much training, not much supervision

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure all employees are not taking advantage of the position by not showing up for work shifts

Friendly individuals, penny-pinching pay

Workstudy (Former Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsVery flexible hours, a lot of focus on personal growth. They care about making sure you're improving. Encouraging and positive work environment. If you're a student, this is a great place to work if you want to focus on your studies; if you aren't, look elsewhere.

ConsMassively underpaid for the work you're doing, no matter what status you have. I've talked to people from students to custodians to professors to managers, and nobody on the lower rungs earn what they should. It shows in the tools they provide too - if they can get you to provide your own, great; it means they don't have to pay for it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't want to think about here anymore due to dissatisfaction with the opaqueness of the university structure and due to the treatment of some of the students I used to know. Stop cutting the salaries of the people working the hardest.

Good place to work face to face with students and inspire them in their faith and calling into the world.

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work environment where administrators are collaborating and faculty are engaged with students to achieve exceptional life outcomes. Faith based institution where you can talk openly with God's amazing plans for each student.

ConsDepending on where you live, the commute to Newberg can add miles/minutes to your work day. The upside is you are on a reverse commute coming from downtown Portland into beautiful Yamhill County, which has a plethora of vineyards and produce farms.

Advice to Senior ManagementI like the new review process where salary increases are linked to performance so that those who are producing strong outcomes are rewarded.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Glad to be here

Administrator (Current Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsSatisfying work, good benefits, coworkers have become friends. I have a sufficient amount of autonomy in my work while still being held accountable. Funding is available for continuing training.

ConsThe usual challenges of an organization of a certain size: bureaucracy, politics, siloing, etc. Many employees are unwilling to change and experiment. Recent overemphasis on the business and athletics side of the university, potentially at the expense of academics and spiritual life. George Fox University is changing and the impact of these changes is still uncertain.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't sacrifice culture for growth and increased profitability. Data has answers, but not all the answers.

A positive, supportive working environment

University Administrator (Current Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsEnjoy working alongside people who are passionate about the importance of Christian higher education. I enjoy coming to work every day, knowing I'll be in a supportive environment and doing my part to help equip future leaders in all facets of society.

ConsLike many educational environments, the opportunities to "move up" into a higher or more lucrative position may be limited.

Rewarding work with students

ProsYou get to be a part of fulfilling and rewarding work making a difference and eternal impact in students' lives
    You get to work with people that have a genuine heart for serving students and making a difference in their lives
    You get to work with people who have a strong Christian faith and love God and people with all of their heart who also have wonderfully engaging ideas
    Most of the faculty you get to work with go above and beyond to help students become who they are called to be and support them in the field and calling they are pursuing

ConsSalary levels are lower than if working at other higher education institutions
    High expectations from both internal and external sources to graduate students in the time they expect regardless of circumstances that may make this impossible

It's nice to get to work in your department because it allows you to connect with students and professors differently.

Math Lab Tutor (Current Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsJobs that suit the college lifestyle, plus they all pay well and work around your schedule.

ConsI guess some times if your job is super boring then you don't really gain any work experience but you just work on your own stuff.

Great Experience! Great People! Great atmosphere!

Admissions Counselor (Former Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsI worked as an intern in the office of admssions. As a college student, I learned so much from all my supervisors and I really enjoyed my work. I loved the people that I worked with! They are very wholesome genuine people. The leadership is awesome in the awesome and a true team.

ConsI wasn't a fan of the location. I wanted to live in a bigger city. Other than that, no complaints!

Good place to have a Work Study Position

Workstudy (Current Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsThey have a good work study program that allows students to gain some work experience while having a good balance between school work and duties.

ConsWorkstudy positions are paid minimum wage, and there aren't many opportunities to get promoted to a better workstudy position.

Underpaid and overworked

Associate Professor (Current Employee)
    Newberg, OR

ProsNice work environment with generally dedicated colleagues. People care about the overall mission of the University. Department is close-knit group of friends.

ConsOverworked and underpaid compared to the vast majority of colleagues. Administration has inconsistent focus on marketing and financial bottom-line; on the one hand the low student-faculty ratio is touted while its labeled as unsustainable internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementClarify and narrow the mission of the University. Eliminate programs and remote campuses that don't fit the vision, regardless of whether or not they are cash-cows. Increasing selectivity and attracting better students who are willing to pay for a better education will enable you to bring compensation up to peers. Relying on the good will of faculty to tolerate being underpaid and overworked in the guise of some spiritualized commitment is inappropriate.

Worked for George Fox University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at George Fox University reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by George Fox University employees.