George Fox University

Updated January 13, 2015
Updated January 13, 2015
4.0

CEO

Wud variety of jobs, each with excellent management in its own way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newberg, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newberg, OR

I have been working at George Fox University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked 3 different jobs for this company: Janitorial, IT, and electricians helper. Each time I had incredible supervisors who were very understanding and flexible with scheduling around my class schedule. They were interested in me as a person more than me as an employee. It was a pleasure going to work each day

Cons

Pay was low, minimum wage, at least for student positions. There was also a big change in the schools priorities recently. which resulted in quote a few budget cuts.

Keep up with the personal touch, and remember why you're there

Great place, friendly people, fun quiet city. Close to Portland, and a great staff.

I have been working at George Fox University

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Not a lot of cons

Much good, periodic dismay

I have been working at George Fox University

Pros

Generally speaking, employees at George Fox sincerely live out the "Be Known" motto with our students and, to a large degree, with fellow employees. Colleagues are committed to students and to the Christ-centered mission of educating the next generation. I've seen employees go above and beyond their responsibilities, personally and in their professional roles, to care for students.

Cons

External pressures and internal leadership decisions are driving the institution toward a more corporate business culture. Numbers seem to outweigh individuality, and marketing can drive the institution rather than building healthy learning community. The tail is wagging the dog when finance and marketing take precedence over academics and student engagement.

Commit more resources to development of employees. Stop firing dedicated, competent people; such actions are demoralizing for those who remain, and shuffling the deck chairs isn't effective leadership. Enable our institution to lead our culture and society toward a holistic vision of education rather than chasing after the employment statistics that presumably satisfy score cards and parents, but can leave students as hollow projects.

Has increasingly become a business versus the "be known" University motto

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newberg, OR

I worked at George Fox University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

HR calls it a job, we call it in ministry! If you're interested in working at a small Christian University where you can share your faith with students and colleagues and do ministry as your career, then this is a good place to be. GFU has a small town, small university feel where people know your name and care for you.

If you work at the undergraduate level, many of the administrators live nearby in Newberg or surrounding areas and are involved in extracurricular activities such as the sporting events. The seminary is located in Tigard (on the edge of Portland), 30 mins from the main campus. The Willamette Valley is known as wine country with rolling hills, farms, and green green green everywhere!

Cons

GFU has gone from a very small community oriented University into a business model in which they have been hiring "J" Myers-Briggs personnel that focus on the logical facts and over the years have continued to hire people who fit the business venture. They are letting go of the "P" employees who bring the soft side to the motto "Be Known" that they promote to students and families.

Financially, the pay is low due to being a nonprofit organization.

Bring a balance to your leadership team so that all leadership types sit in administration and faculty positions where different personalities are valued.

The administration is overworking their employees and over the years have consolidated positions and have increased numbers of students, yet have not thought through in advance how to increase support for departments. There have been many women who have been in key positions and their roles have either been eliminated or been replaced. You need to find ways to keep faculty and staff.

VPs and the president need to have the same 360° performance reviews, which are not currently done at this time. Human resources needs to also be closely looked at because I have heard of many ex employees who do not like the director and feel that this person is incompetent.

There has been a lot of transition over the last few years with employees, an increase in student population, more commuter students who are allowed to live off-campus, and more work to be done by fewer people yet there has been unclear expectations and lack of communication. There is one person in leadership who is very passive and allows things to happen under his watch because he admits to not liking conflict.

Very mission driven

Former Employee - Administrator in Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Administrator in Newberg, OR

I worked at George Fox University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

George Fox is sincere about its purpose, and for the most part, faculty, staff and students are unified and joyful around its Christian mission. It's a wonderful fit for conservative evangelicals, though not all who attend or work at GFU are conservative.

Cons

George Fox is savvy about the sea change happening in higher education and has made some hard choices for long-term sustainability. Some interpret this as not being people-centric. I actually think these decisions are more student-centric - it is their tuition paying for positions that a healthy business model can't sustain.

Continued transparency

Pleasant, community-focused environment.

Current Employee - Manager in Newberg, OR
    Current Employee - Manager in Newberg, OR

I have been working at George Fox University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pleasant working environment with opportunities to develop relationships with peers and students. We get to see positive results because of the work we do here educating students in a faith-based environment.

Cons

Increased cost of living without adequate pay increases make it difficult for single-income employees whose salaries are already low. There has been an increase in employee turnover which adds to the work load.

For an education institution, we are lacking in training opportunities for employees; training that would increase productivity in the long run. We don't seem to be very organized. Planning ahead seems to be non-existent and creates a degree of chaos. This idea of planning ahead must start at the top. When executive leadership has an attitude that processes and procedures don't apply to them, everyone else will follow suit. It will become increasingly difficult to fulfill our mission with limited staffing if we continue in a culture of disorder. Our university would benefit from upper management listening, with respect, to the suggestions of those doing the hard work required to accomplish the goals of the decision makers.

Fitness Center Employee

Former Employee - Fitness Center Employee in Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Fitness Center Employee in Newberg, OR

I worked at George Fox University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun and friendly environment, layback culture, opportunity to help others in need, great for outgoing individuals

Cons

When first starting out your hours are not the best, not much training, not much supervision

Make sure all employees are not taking advantage of the position by not showing up for work shifts

Friendly individuals, penny-pinching pay

Former Employee - Workstudy in Newberg, OR
    Former Employee - Workstudy in Newberg, OR

I worked at George Fox University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible hours, a lot of focus on personal growth. They care about making sure you're improving. Encouraging and positive work environment. If you're a student, this is a great place to work if you want to focus on your studies; if you aren't, look elsewhere.

Cons

Massively underpaid for the work you're doing, no matter what status you have. I've talked to people from students to custodians to professors to managers, and nobody on the lower rungs earn what they should. It shows in the tools they provide too - if they can get you to provide your own, great; it means they don't have to pay for it.

I don't want to think about here anymore due to dissatisfaction with the opaqueness of the university structure and due to the treatment of some of the students I used to know. Stop cutting the salaries of the people working the hardest.

Good place to work face to face with students and inspire them in their faith and calling into the world.

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at George Fox University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment where administrators are collaborating and faculty are engaged with students to achieve exceptional life outcomes. Faith based institution where you can talk openly with God's amazing plans for each student.

Cons

Depending on where you live, the commute to Newberg can add miles/minutes to your work day. The upside is you are on a reverse commute coming from downtown Portland into beautiful Yamhill County, which has a plethora of vineyards and produce farms.

I like the new review process where salary increases are linked to performance so that those who are producing strong outcomes are rewarded.

Glad to be here

Current Employee - Administrator in Newberg, OR
    Current Employee - Administrator in Newberg, OR

I have been working at George Fox University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Satisfying work, good benefits, coworkers have become friends. I have a sufficient amount of autonomy in my work while still being held accountable. Funding is available for continuing training.

Cons

The usual challenges of an organization of a certain size: bureaucracy, politics, siloing, etc. Many employees are unwilling to change and experiment. Recent overemphasis on the business and athletics side of the university, potentially at the expense of academics and spiritual life. George Fox University is changing and the impact of these changes is still uncertain.

Don't sacrifice culture for growth and increased profitability. Data has answers, but not all the answers.