George Junior Republic

CEO

1. Recreation Supervisor

Former Employee - Recreation Supervisor in Grove City, PA
    Former Employee - Recreation Supervisor in Grove City, PA

I worked at George Junior Republic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the youth. I gained a lot of knowledge about the population of kids there but also about myself. The job was relatively easy. You get to make your own schedule - best part!!

Cons

I absolutely did not get along with two of my bosses so it made my work environment very uncomfortable. There was also a lot of gossip and petty conversation between my staff and bosses, very unprofessional. I shouldn't feel nervous about seeing or interacting with my bosses.

2. Counselor

Pros

Very excellent staff, amazing communication. Was very fun to work with kids and enjoy the days off. Staff was very flexible when working out different work days with me.

Cons

Working on weekends. If you dont like to work on weekends this may not be the place for you. Other then that hours were good working only when I were able to get off.

3. Social Worker

Current Employee - Social Worker
    Current Employee - Social Worker

Pros

Making a difference in the youths lives that succeed, private office, retiremen package, beautiful country campus, free meals. That's about it.

Cons

Low pay, high stress, overworked, lack of communication, poor training, inconsistency in policies, play favorites, inadequate treatment & unreasonable approach.

Advice to Management

GJR's approach is outdated, inefficient & inadequate...barely any trauma informed care. Take some time to work the front lines with these direct care jobs & don't forget where you came from. Raise the pay & hire competent employees. Make the workload reasonable to lower turnover rate. Learn the difference between counseling & Social Work. Counselors are way more in deathly trained in therapy & don't get to use there skills there cause of the amount of case management...not fair on the kids! They're not getting adequate treatment!

5. GJR

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Archbald, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Archbald, PA

I have been working at George Junior Republic (More than a year)

Pros

GJR has Supportive and knowledgeable employees. Offer trainings on a regular basis so staff can continue to learn new and up to date information. GJR has good benefits and pay well.

Cons

The main GJR facility is 4 hours away so makes communication a little more difficult at times. There is a lot of travel which leads to wear and tear on your personal vehicle. You are given monthly mileage and car maintains stipends but it doesn't cover it.

Advice to Management

Do to the distance between employees and the main office, more phone or in person contact would sometimes be helpful.

6. Clinical Manager

Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Grove City, PA
    Current Employee - Clinical Manager in Grove City, PA

I have been working at George Junior Republic (More than 5 years)

Pros

rewarding helping adjudicated youth try to get their lives back on track,

Cons

Under appreciated and under payed

7. Working here as a female is similar to working at an old gentleman's club.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grove City, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grove City, PA

I worked at George Junior Republic part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Making a difference, flexible hours

Cons

Very difficult to work there as woman due to the higher ups

8. Mostly positive

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at George Junior Republic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot's of opportunity for professional development, flexible schedule, company is ethical and values employees, helpful staff, pay is average for field of work, health insurance is excellent.

Cons

Work can be lonely at times as you do not see co-workers regularly, compensation is not impressive, stress level is high, billable hours are difficult as anywhere, home-based therapy schedule if flexible however often times you end up working evenings.

Advice to Management

N/A

9. Hostile Youth and Supervisors, CYA!

I worked at George Junior Republic full-time

Pros

Benefit package is good for full timers.

Cons

Scary workplace, youth are very hostile and violent and management is dictatorial. They fire people every month it seems.

Recreational Supervisor

Current Employee - Recreational Staff in Grove City, PA
    Current Employee - Recreational Staff in Grove City, PA

I have been working at George Junior Republic part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get the opportunity to build relationships with troubled youth and have a positive impact on these gentleman's life. The company is good to work for if you don't mind working for no pay and not really accomplishing anything.

Cons

Promotion usually happens from within, especially within my department. Meaning supervisors are highly unqualified, power abusing, and in much need of micromanagement training.

Advice to Management

Read up on Synergy.

Used and abused

Current Employee - Treatment Team Coordinator in Grove City, PA
    Current Employee - Treatment Team Coordinator in Grove City, PA

I have been working at George Junior Republic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The young men that are placed at GJR are generally very rewarding to work with. I feel that I have been able to have a positive affect on many of their lives in one way or another during my tenure at GJR.

Cons

Terrible work hours for social worker/ TTCs; no appreciation from administration; focused only on what you do wrong and never say what you do right; you don't learn how to do something until you either haven't done it or you do it wrong; supervisors are mean and condescending; the entire place is dysfunctional from the top down.

Advice to Management

Tell your employees that they do something right once in a while!!!!! Act like you actually care about something other than money!!!!! Figure out how to make the supervisors get along and stop playing games so that the people under their supervision do not have to suffer!!!!!

RSS Feed </> Embed