George Mason University

www.gmu.edu

George Mason University Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Ángel Cabrera

Pros
  • GMU was very family oriented and they believed in a work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Lots of great people and can enjoy free classes(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work is not challenging and pay is low(in 9 reviews)

• There are no benefits for student positions (as expected) and the recognition of excellent service is minimal at best(in 5 reviews)

106 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Comfortable but lacking opportunities for upward mobility

Administrative/Professional Faculty (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsManagement tends to leave you alone to focus on your job
    Work/life balance is strong
    Opportunities to telework and take advantage of flexible working schedules appreciated
    Adequate budget and access to necessary tools

ConsMason wants to move forward without revisiting stagnant policies instituted when university was much smaller
    No real upward mobility for non-tenure lines (curse of state employment)
    Difficulty in retaining talent due to aforementioned reasons; lots of competition in area
    Lots of dead weight

Advice to Senior ManagementShake it up! Get your hands dirty and find out what your people are really doing. Reward those that are deserving, and get rid of those that aren't willing to change with the times.

Working as a teaching assistantship

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Proslab sizes are 24 students and less

Consit was challenging dealing with the student reviews online. not enough students would complete reviews and the results would be skewed. Also not enough guidance on what to teach/standardizing quizzes and how to grade

Many of the best people you'll ever find, but the pay structure for starting students is weak.

Front Desk Mentor (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsThe employees are kind and helpful. They make the time spent in the office enjoyable. This environment is the only reason I've stayed here for as long as I have.

ConsThe pay structure is weak for a State school. Their financial management on the small and large scale is wasteful and frivolous. Parking is atrocious and you are forced to buy a Parking Permit from the school for approx. $300+ and the price continues to grow. There are no benefits for student positions (as expected) and the recognition of excellent service is minimal at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider the plight of the student population are being paid barely over minimum wage. At least let the workers park on campus for free.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice place to study

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

Proslearn a lot new knowledge and new culture

Consyou have to get active in order to perform outstanding

Adjunct Professor

Adjunct (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGeorge Mason has Excellent atmosphere. Plenty of opportunities to network and attend interesting activities. It is a good place to be if you wish to meet interesting people.

ConsHave to make yourself known or you will be lost in the bureaucracy. Get paid very little ad not worth it unless you have a passion for teaching.

Supportive and attentive HR

Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI was an adjunct and everyone was welcoming and supportive to my needs. Explanations of everything were very broad, but elaboration was always given. Flexibility for schedules was great.

ConsOften you are overlooked as an adjunct and not even treated as a real employee. You don't even get employee parking. No benefits at all are offered to adjunct faculty (which is common with any university).

Term Faculty in the College of Health and Human Services

Term Faculty (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsIntelligent and Caring Faculty and Staff, in all corners of the building. A lot of mentorship occurs with senior faculty supportive of those teaching with less experience. Research focused with a a new Dean of our college.

ConsHigh demand for Research is difficult to balance with course work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to Lead and build towards a Tier 1 school of research and academic excellence. Do the right action in policing your faculty that should not be teaching or working in such a great university based on the student evaluations.

Capstone Project - IT COnsutant

Student Project (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

Prosi worked on Capstone project on my senior year

Conshad to create website, database, and improve security of the network

Good experience for college kids.

WSI (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsFlexible with work and school intertwining.

ConsUndergo a lot of system and work hour changes due to pool closing and openings.

Good Experience working in Networking Lab

Networking Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Pros- It was part time and lab helped me in Preparing for CISCO certification
    - Implementing Networking Technologies along with class helped to get more knowledge

Cons- Pay was very less

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease number of Networking labs and classes

Worked for George Mason University? Contribute to the Community!