George Mason University Reviews

Updated March 25, 2015
228 reviews filtered by
3.9
Ángel Cabrera

Pros
  • GMU was very family oriented and they believed in a work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• I like working here, it's a nice balance of hard work and enjoyable work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work is not challenging and pay is low (in 11 reviews)

• There are no benefits for student positions (as expected) and the recognition of excellent service is minimal at best (in 5 reviews)

1. The environment is very student-focused and nourishing, but growing rapidly which means a lot of change.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at George Mason University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Student-focused
    Great recognition program
    Great Benefits
    Well-Being Focus
    Work/Life Balance
    Korea Campus

Cons

Relatively low pay
    Not tons of raises
    Change Management could be improved

2. A big school, but can be a great environment once you find your place in it.

Current Employee - Administrative and Office Specialist III in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative and Office Specialist III in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at George Mason University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at Mason in 3 different administrative positions for the last 15 years, so clearly I enjoy it here. This is a big, bustling campus, which is invigorating if you like that kind of energy. The population can be a mixed bag, but there are great people here, from dedicated faculty and staff to bright, engaged students. It can feel overwhelming to be one tiny component of a giant organization, the trick is to focus on your immediate community and concentrate on the impact you can make there.

The benefits are good, and really the main reason I think people gravitate towards the university. The luxury of having 2 weeks paid vacation during the holidays can not be overstated. It can be hard to break into the field here, as I have experience hiring staff and each position can receive hundreds of applicants. Once you're in, you can feel secure in your job and have an advantage applying for future positions within the university.

Full-time employees can take 12 credits a year at no cost. This is amazing if you're looking to finish/continue with your education, and the reason I initially sought employment here.

There are tons of resources here, everything from fitness centers, public transportation, professional development courses, workshops, conferences, theater performances...there are so many more opportunities outside of your 9-5pm job commitments.

Cons

This isn't a place where aggressively career minded people can expect to climb the ladder. You come here for the security, not the potential for advancement. People tend to get entrenched in their jobs, in my experience the number one source of turnover is retirement. If you're looking to move up, the most efficient method seems to be by making small title increases moving from department to department.

Raises aren't really a thing. We occasionally get cost of living increases, that's about it.

Traffic in this area is awful. Some days I get here in 25 minutes, other days it takes me an hour or more. It's hard to predict your commute time.

Northern Virginia is an expensive region to reside in. Mason pays well for the area, but even so, unless you're a Dean or a Vice President or something I wouldn't take a job here with the expectation of buying a summer home.

With a school this large you can expect a lot of bureaucracy. Trying to get something done can often times require consulting with several other departments you had no idea even existed.

Parking is limited.

Mason feels comprised of several independent nations, as opposed to a unified whole. People don't know what goes on outside their immediate four walls, and many don't much care. I think fostering an atmosphere of one collaborative entity as opposed to a loose collection of individual organizations would remedy this perception.

3. It is very nice working as a TA at George Mason University

I have been working at George Mason University part-time

Pros

They authority is friendly, understandable and ready to help

Cons

There is no time-off policy for TA's

5. Too many politics but good job security

I worked at George Mason University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family friendly flexible schedule faculty housing available nice on site facilities

Cons

Very competitive peers poor flexibility in teaching preferences too much focus on grant funding verses student needs no raises in the state system no tuition reimbursement for child

When hired job responsibilities should not be continually changed. Avoid constantly changing course assignments. Too much influence by peers with administrations favorites

6. The job was under the IT department in a pretty relaxed environment.

Former Employee - Resident Technician in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Resident Technician in Fairfax, VA

I worked at George Mason University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Little experience is necessary as you get on-the job training
    - if there aren't tickets in the queue, doing schoolwork is perfectly ok
    - No friday hours

Cons

- There are sunday hours
    - the beginning of the semester can be really busy, but afterwards the volume of tickets decreases drastically

7. Good experience

I have been working at George Mason University

Pros

Friendly staff, good environment for work

Cons

Not great traffic in the morning

8. Good place at heart

Current Employee - Administrator in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Administrator in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at George Mason University

Pros

great community, many terrific people, many opportunities to grow

Cons

organizational cultural is shifting, more pressure for accountability, more of a business mentality than it once had

listen more and make the time for people

9. Graduate TA with flexibility to teach classes!

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant

I worked at George Mason University

Pros

An environment conducive to learning and growth; very, very reasonable bosses/ folks in the department; lots of diversity

Cons

Long hours for adjuncts and TA's (what with course planning and all); but that's standard everywhere

Keep doing your great work!

10. Graduate Research Assistant - glorified secretary

I have been working at George Mason University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of time to do coursework.

Cons

Spent the better part of 2 years updating a blog. The position was mis-represented and I was not able to gain any real-world experience in the research area I was interested in. If it wasn't for the partial tuition stipend, I would have left after the first month. Co-workers rarely said "hello" to each other. Supervisor was never available and often forgot what work had been assigned.

Give your graduate students some meaningful work.

11. Great Co-Workers, but Little Room for Advancement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I worked at George Mason University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some wonderful people at Mason. The benefits were solid. The hours were reasonable. It's a nice campus. And, they have a culture that promotes telework and other flexible options. Tuition waivers are available, so you can learn for free.

Cons

The pay is very low for Northern Virginia, and there is little room for advancement on the staff side.

George Mason University Photos