George P. Johnson

Add Photos

George P. Johnson CEO Chris Meyer

Chris Meyer

Good Experience - Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked in the Madison Heights office in 1989. It was only a couple of years but it was a good experience for me. The people were great to work with. I can't say enough about David Drews; helpful, concerned and loyal, he was the epitome of great Management style.

ConsNever did get used to the nicknames Management had for themselves, that's my two cents...ha, ha!

Advice to Senior ManagementA rule for everybody to follow, "Treat others the same way you want them to treat you."

Great place to start out

Account Executive (Current Employee)
    Torrance, CA

ProsGood place to learn if you're fresh out of college. If you can get an internship, DO IT. It's not a place where you're given busywork (mostly). You get to be part of some major events that are seen by thousands… that's pretty cool! Fantastic for the resume!

ConsTraining is a bit scattered. No real source to tell you exactly how processes should be handled unless you make a LOT of mistakes and learn from them. I guess that's the "creative" part coming out...

Advice to Senior ManagementAnnual mandatory training!

The people are what make the company but not sure that is enough.

ProsAwesome individuals to work with! Great work, innovative ideas, and a challenging environment. There is a lot of room to move around and see where you fit best within the company. Team is very supportive, management is flexible, and the benefits are a big plus.

ConsVery challenging to attain a healthy work-life balance. Accountability is lacking for individual performance, and management fails to set a clear standard across the board for all employees. Pigeon-holed on one account and very little opportunity to move off of the mega accounts that keep company afloat. The pay is not competitive, there is no standard for different levels of positions, and simply not a high enough pay for me enough for difficulty of job. Although improving in some areas, there is a notable lack of training across the board.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease wages, make people accountable for their actions, get rid of the dead weight, and evaluate roles more frequently to evaluate workload in effort to prevent high burn out rates.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn but not necessarily stay.

ProsGlobal exposure with huge brands.

ConsWork/Life balance suffers
    Say goodbye to holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication needs an overhaul to keep talent.

Interesting work, great people, cool agency

ProsWide variety of projects to work on
    Cool blend of beautiful events to build and interesting technology applications
    Great people - everyone is super friendly
    Work with big brands (and some celebrities)

ConsThe commute sucks, but that's not their fault...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the training coming!
    Help provide career path guidance for those of us who want to move up
    Continue with the recent transparency initiatives

Change is coming...

ProsThe new CEO is addressing some long-time gripes and communicating with GPJers. Also helps that he seems like a genuinely nice guy. Learning from people that are really good at what they do is still #1 reason to work here. Optimistic for the future.

ConsIt's the events business - there's no such thing as a regular day. Long hours, endless emails, perpetual changes.

The #1 place to be for Experience Marketing

ProsGPJ is the most well-known agency in the Experience Marketing space and it's the best place to be for a professional that's passionate about this piece of the marketing mix and wants to work on high-profile accounts. Most people at the agency have been in the industry for 10-20 years and have a ridiculous amount of knowledge and expertise to learn from. All offices across N. America work on great accounts, but the San Carlos is special because that's where the Dreamforce team is.

GPJ has a popular internship program that exposes recent and soon-to-be graduates to invaluable on-site experiences and mentorship opportunities.

GPJ recently appointed a new CEO and President who are both highly personable and motivated to create positive change throughout the organization. Their leadership has already made GPJ a better place to be and it's moving us in a great direction.

ConsThe onboarding process as a new employee is not modern
    Entry level salaries are not competitive
    Creative types may have a hard time or get frustrated with the process driven mentality
    The entry level salaries are different in every office regardless of workload or account team

Advice to Senior ManagementOpenly ask team members what they need to be happy, then try to make that happen without friction

Leaves something to be desired

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorked with many great and talented people

ConsThe leadership is never seen and rarely communicate with employees. Absolutely no transparency into the company's performance or goals.

Great Experience, Poor Compensation

ProsCrash course in the event marketing industry. Friendly, creative, hardworking employees who love to collaborate and produce great experiences.

ConsUnderpaid. Poor management. Don't value their employees the way they should. Not a lot of opportunity to move up in the company. You pretty much have to leave and come back in order to get a significant salary increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and offer competitive compensation so you don't keep losing them.

Great Team

Designer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat team full of personalities that are both easy to get along and work with. I worked as a free-lancer there for close to a year and I feel happy about my time there.

ConsAs a freelancer I was not guaranteed 40hrs a week and some weeks the work really slowed down. Also their process relies too heavily on printing and wasting paper.

Worked for George P. Johnson? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at George P. Johnson reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for George P. Johnson CEO Chris Meyer. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by George P. Johnson employees.