George S. May

Updated Apr 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kerry (Sam) Jacobs

I had an excellent experience with George May.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had an excellent management team.

ConsUnfortunately, the company went out of business

Advice to Senior Managementthere is no longer company

Exec analysis

Executive Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsYou meet many people and all types of companies

ConsThey only allowed us to return home 1-3 nights a month. Management did not listen to anyone and treated the company like a used car lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they took advice, they would still be in business. Your best innovation comes from front line employees, not a management staff who does not go into the field or visit clients. They operated 20 years behind most other companies, selling advice, and never used the information they charged for.

Informative

Staff Executive (Former Employee)

ProsGood learning experience in vinsnce

ConsNever take into account th client's try situation

Advice to Senior ManagementNoe- They do not listen

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salary review

Prossalary and compensation are very reasonable

ConsSenior management not good at all

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to be understand how the business work

Nightmare place to work if you are trying to maintain some semblance of a life!

Staff Executive (Former Employee) Park Ridge, IL

ProsYou are exposed to a variety of small businesses and you get to collect travel reward points such as air miles, hotel points, etc.

ConsThere is constant pressure to "sell in and up" to poor mom & pop businesses who are already struggling.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise your business model!

District Manager

District Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsWas a good company that recognized hard work w/ good pay

ConsShouting and screaming management;; bad performace subject to personal redicule

Advice to Senior Managementbring the management style into the real world of facts, not feelings!

Interesting company, but they stopped evolving 10 years ago with respect to services and innovation of solutions

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFor a "sales hunter" there is no better position that this

ConsThey are currently not in operation. Issues related to management

Have laptop, will travel.

Project Director (Former Employee) Park Ridge, IL

ProsIf you like to travel a lot, you will. If you are interested in seeing how people conduct business in all levels of small business, you will see a lot of families in distress. If you like solving problems for people on the fly, you will save some marriages and families from time to time. I you are interested in collecting lots of spreadsheet applications, you will fill up your flash drives. If you are interested in working with a group of former business owners and managers from all over the country, you will make some friends for life.

ConsYou have to remember that it is a consulting business, not a practice. The business is about how many hours you can bill and collect. The business is not about what you can actually do for anyone. GSMIC lives off of your credit card and you can go into the red to the tune of $5K before you know it. You can find yourself stranded in Bumfk (fill it in, friend) because travel is a perverse form of hazing. The poor bastards that are on the desk are like used car sales managers with a thermo nuclear pencil. The corporate culture is about yelling the loudest.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck, Kerry. You might try using quotation marks instead or parenthesis around Sam. It looks like you don't know your name or are confused about your gender. By the way, the CEO should be an executive, not a repo man.

Challenging, yet exciting work environment

Staff Executive (Former Employee) Park Ridge, IL

ProsThe variety of work and the consulting experience gained
    The work day moves at a very fast pace

ConsIt can be difficult to create a work/life balance, due to the constant travel

Advice to Senior ManagementDue to the high turnover, many employees never have the chance to learn how to gain better control over their projects, and ultimately their paychecks (e.g., use your Project Director as a resource, become an asset to other Project Directors for up-staffing/re-staffing, etc).

Stay away from George S. May

Special Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsFree trip to Chicago Il

ConsI recently was given a 'free' trip to Chicago to attend training for a sales rep position. A lot of people in my class of 40 commented 'this isn't what I was told'. Well that statement is exactly why I walked away from a job with GSM. I asked 2 GSM employees before I came where I would be required to work. Both said in my home area and an area 100km radius around my home. When they presented me with the employment contract, this was not the case at all !!! According to my contract, my work area was well over 100km from my home and their contract didn't even include my home area.

Aside from this, the class trainer taught the class like we were kindergardens. He was rude and disrespectful. I was the only Canadian and I got the feeling that this company did not like Canadians (since he was very rude and disrespectful to me).

The 'free' trip included a luxurious stay in a low class hotel (several people complained that their rooms hadn't even been cleaned when they arrived).

So unless you want to waste a week of your valuable time, my advise is....STAY CLEAR OF GSM !!!

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat people.....maybe with a new concept called respect

Worked for George S. May? Contribute to the Community!